Steven Spielberg is kind of a hack

Dude I love James Cameron but if you're going to shit on anyone's recent quality of work his last movie was Avatar which aged about as well as Lindsay Lohan. Speilberg has put out more great movies than Antonio Cromartie has put out kids and he's been putting out big movies consistently since the 70s. Indiana Jones movies, Jaws, ET, the good Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan, Minority Report, etc. You don't just get "lucky" that many times. Here's a chart of directors with movies in the IMDB top 1000. Speilberg has 22 which is far and away more than anyone else. Ok you don't like him, but to call him a hack that's just bullshit.

<{hughesimpress}><{nope}><LikeReally5><YeahOKJen><TrumpWrong1>

JEoiNS2_d.jpg

He just slipped tripped and fumbled his way through schindlers list and inexplicably created a masterpiece did he?

John williams is not God,but something similar.

But jesus christ you cant attribute "much of his success" to the soundtrack alone,he still had to make the fuckin movie you fucks. If john williams scored Little Nicky,it would still be a steaming turd.

I think Spielberg is the GOAT, though he's slipped pretty substantially over the last decade or so. As do all the GOATs of any field eventually.

The fuck man. You know how many amazing ideas had shitty first drafts? When you're learning to write they drill into your head that more often than not, your first draft is gonna suck.

Its the ability to improvise, adapt, and keep trying new ideas that separates the greats from everyone else.

As far as troll threads go this is one of the more entertaining ones.

The novel ending of Jaws is that the boat sinks, Brody is in the water accepting his fate as he stares down the shark then the shark succumbs to it's injuries from the hunt and dies just shy of attacking him. Steven said that's really fucking boring and gave us the best damn movie ending of all time. He gets eternal credit for this

Worst movie Spielberg ever made was Indiana Jones Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Worst movie Cameron ever made was Avatar.

No no no. The worst movie Spielberg made was 1942. He's very lucky that nobody remembers that movie or else a lot more people would know what a hack he is.

I was just talking about this the other day in that thread ranking Tarantino, scorcese, Cameron, Nolan, fincher, and Spielberg. I ranked Spielberg like 87th out of just those directors, and called him an overrated can, because he doesn't belong in the same category as those guys.

Fight me IRL.

Dude I love James Cameron but if you're going to shit on anyone's recent quality of work his last movie was Avatar which aged about as well as Lindsay Lohan. Speilberg has put out more great movies than Antonio Cromartie has put out kids and he's been putting out big movies consistently since the 70s. Indiana Jones movies, Jaws, ET, the good Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan, Minority Report, etc. You don't just get "lucky" that many times. Here's a chart of directors with movies in the IMDB top 1000. Speilberg has 22 which is far and away more than anyone else. Ok you don't like him, but to call him a hack that's just bullshit.

<{hughesimpress}><{nope}><LikeReally5><YeahOKJen><TrumpWrong1>

JEoiNS2_d.jpg
I'd need to see which 22 made that list. Really only Schindler and saving Private Ryan belong on there.

ET is terrible. 1941 is terrible. Crystal skull is terrible. Always is terrible. The Jurassic Park squirrels are all terrible. Did he direct the terminal? Probably. Because it's terrible. Tin tin was terrible.

Any man who makes a flawless masterpiece like Raiders of the Lost Ark is ok with me.

His movies are some of the greatest in cinema history. He’s brought in multiple billions in the box office. Who cares if he had a few bad ideas between smashing success?

I watched Jaws the other night for the first time in many years and I was all like "wow this is brilliant" and it lead me to watch the making of Jaws on youtube. Which lead me to watch the making of Close Encounters.

He got lucky with Jaws because the shark didn't work. So he had to adapt. Which I give him credit for, he did adapt brilliantly. But if things had gone according to his vision, we would've had a very different movie and probably a far less effective movie. And his career probably would've been far less impressive, since the massive success of Jaws is what launched him.

Then Close Encounters. You would not believe the crap he wanted to do with the aliens in that movie. I mean absolutely ridiculous things. This man, this personification of film director, actually shot a take of a monkey wearing shiny silver spandex clothes wearing an alien mask, on roller skaters, roller skating down the ramp of the ufo. He wanted a monkey because he didn't want the aliens to move like humans, and he put it on roller skates because he wanted the appearance of it hovering down from the ufo ramp. So according to him, the first thing the monkey does is rip off it's mask, reach for it's handler, and roller skates backwards down the ufo ramp. I mean wtf Spielberg? Also...poor monkey :( He also tried some stuff with a bunch of kids dressed as aliens sped up in the film, and hired mimes to slow down their motion and act like humans in slow motion, so the aliens would move super fast compared to the humans. THIS guy is synonymous with brilliant film directors?!

It made me realize that luck, combined with the fortuitous decision to partner with John Williams, is what really made Spielberg. Spielberg hasn't gotten worse as he's gotten older. He's just had things go his way more often, and things going his way means that we get sub par films. Even Shia Labeouf has commented on how working with Spielberg was not at all what he had envisioned.

I say all this so that all of you can realize the truth. Spielberg is a lucky hack. You want real directorial talent? Go watch a James Cameron flick. Or better yet, go watch the making of Aliens, for example. Where Cameron had to work in England with a hostile crew that didn't respect him and didn't know who he was, had not seen Terminator, didn't care to see Terminator, didn't listen to Cameron, a few high up folks had to be fired, and the man STILL ended up surpassing Ridley Scott's classic original Alien and making one of the best action films of all time.

Cameron's > Spielberg

As far as the monkey thing goes, I really don't think it's a big deal. This was before CGI so he had to try and come up with some way of getting it to look the way he wanted, and this was basically it. Though it's probably for the best it didn't work out.

I like his new lower key movies like Bridge of Spies and The Post. These films aren't made to be game changers and knock you outta your seat like an Indiana Jones, or a Jurassic Park. These are interesting stories set in the real world, with real life,real people, situations and feelings.

Much like Catch me If you Can they're both filmed pretty flawlessly. The Post is exceptionally welll made and well acted and directed. But it's not going to be Jurassic Park.

Also Munich is quite possibly his most underrated movie. It's a fantastic movie.

If you've seen one Spielberg movie, you've seen them all. They all follow the same formula. Basic cinema tropes.

So I go down the list of movies he does, and the only things that seem repetitive is the themes of movies that he directs. Fantasy/Creature films, historical/political films, and for kids stuff. But to say seen one = seen them all is not a stretch, it's just not true. You'd get the same experience watching Lincoln and Jurassic Park? Or Raiders of the Lost ark and Saving Private Ryan? His last directed movie Ready Player One sucked for me, but I think he deserves a bit more credit than a one trick pony.

Guy did Saving Private Ryan, he's a hack? Serio?

The monkey thing, I mean he had an idea and experimented with how to get that look he wanted. He didn't end up using the shot, did he? That's an awfully specific thing to harp on to try and discredit an entire career.

I've always thought he is overrated. He's good but he's not the second coming... See what I did there? ... ... He's Jewish...

Didn't you make the thread where Cameron said he almost got the rights to Jurassic Park and said he's glad he didn't because Speilburg made a better movie than he would have?

Also Saving Private Ryan

So a few silly/bad ideas in 4 decades of hits including some of the greatest movies ever made across several different genres means a director is a hack? Lol... this is the "pointy elbows" of rating beautiful women.

Back