"Steve Mazzagatti saved Frank Mir" has to be one of the longest lasting misconceptions in MMA

There are different styles of turning your face away from punches? Some of which are acceptable and some are dirty tricks?

Come on...

Alright if you want to play it like this and ignore the fact that Mir is known for that exact move over the course of his career so be it.

the_L_pic.jpg

@KONE since this is your topic this is not ^ directed at you, I found you can have a nice conversation overall about the situation.

Yep sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't it did wonder for him in the first Brock fight same for the second Big Nog fight.

But hey Mir does it so most of his fans are defending it and even praising him for it cause it's 'smart'.

I just rewatched the end of the Carwin fight and the second fight with Nog.

Against Carwin, Mir literally just turned his face away from the punches like every fighter does.

Against Nog, Mir's face was on the mat (because he was hurt) but Nog could've kept hitting him on the side of the head without issue.

I just rewatched the end of the Carwin fight and the second fight with Nog.

Against Carwin, Mir literally just turned his face away from the punches like every fighter does.

Against Nog, Mir's face was on the mat (because he was hurt) but Nog could've kept hitting him on the side of the head without issue.

Mir just likes to bury his big head on the mat, instead of trying to defend himself or improve position. He did this multiple times.

He didn't cost Brock the fight. We know what Frank looks like when he's dazed, and he was in control, about to grab a submission any moment. The reset only delayed the inevitable.

This thread is fucking ridiculous! Who the fuck actually believes this crap?

He didn't cost Brock the fight. We know what Frank looks like when he's dazed, and he was in control, about to grab a submission any moment. The reset only delayed the inevitable.

That's what I saw, but if you go by what a lot of Sherdog says it went down like this:

Brock was about to knock out Frank until Frank (knowing that it was impossible to grab the armbar from halfguard) tricked him into throwing illegal punches to the back of the head. Steve Mazzagatti then stepped in and stood them up, withdrew a point, and reset them with Brock's leg in Mir's arms.

That's what I saw, but if you go by what a lot of Sherdog says it went down like this:

Brock was about to knock out Frank until Frank (knowing that it was impossible to grab the armbar from halfguard) tricked him into throwing illegal punches to the back of the head. Steve Mazzagatti then stepped in and stood them up, withdrew a point, and reset them with Brock's leg in Mir's arms.
Well, Frank does have that jedi mind control..

What cost Lesnar the fight wasn't the stand up & point deduction (which I consider HORRIBLE as Mir was moving around and it happens all the time w/out the penalty) but Brock being so green that he stood up in Mir's guard, which reminded me off Mir-Abbot.

But I think that people blame Maz is because Brock was destroying him (yes, before and after the stupid stand up) and the stand up & penalty was so unprecedented in that situation.

Just rewatched. We all know that Brock throws deceptively powerful ground and pound. However, other evidence supports that Mir did not get saved by Mazzagatti, and was not in that much trouble, even though he was definitely taking some decent shots.

After Mazzagatti stood them up, Mir was walking just fine; he was not rocked. When the fight resumed, Mir went on to take more shots from Brock before submitting him. Frank then ran around the ring, again with no sign that he was rocked or hurt. His face also looked pretty good afterwards; he did have some blood on his forehead, but nothing too crazy, and his face wasn't very swollen.

Back