Steve Adornato shows a variation of the Sauer pass

I'd love to see the no gi application of this pass. I can see just pushing down on both hips being quite effective as a quick opening, but I'm not sure what the safest positioning would be.

this is definitely a gi pass. In no-gi I have had some small success with establishing a russian two on one on the same side arm as the leg that I am raising. This sometimes allows me to get the proper twist in the individuals spine. I am still working on that perhaps when I get it down I will post a video of that also.

I'd love to see the no gi application of this pass. I can see just pushing down on both hips being quite effective as a quick opening, but I'm not sure what the safest positioning would be.

I ve tried to describe it in the other thread.
The key to the pass is immobilizing one side of the body and keeping it pinned.

You can do that without the gi as well, but the control will be a bit less.
I do it by pinning the opponents leg from the bottom with the top of my thigh and from the top with the bottom part of my forearm/ elbow.
I keep the same side hip of my opponent pinned to the ground or not moving much by cupping it with my hand.

Does that make any sense?

this is definitely a gi pass. In no-gi I have had some small success with establishing a russian two on one on the same side arm as the leg that I am raising. This sometimes allows me to get the proper twist in the individuals spine. I am still working on that perhaps when I get it down I will post a video of that also.

Russian two on one? Please explain. I ll try to find it on the internets as well.

Look for wrestling takedowns then the Russian two one one grip. If my right leg is raising and twisting at his hip, then my left hand would grab his left wrist while at the same time my right hand would go under his left arm and get a grip at his biceps. I guess Im going to have to do another video.

Look for wrestling takedowns then the Russian two one one grip. If my right leg is raising and twisting at his hip, then my left hand would grab his left wrist while at the same time my right hand would go under his left arm and get a grip at his biceps. I guess Im going to have to do another video.

Thanks man. Found it on youtube already. Internet rules!:D

Your welcome. There is actually a whole series from this guard pass that Professor Sauer has shown. I will try to shoot more video tonight.

This is just very good, technical, awesome jiu jitsu.

Also that variation is almost identical to the triangle defense that saulo teaches. The only difference is that your other arm is out, rather than in. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same damn thing.

Thank you for the compliment. Pedro Sauer said that he developed this pass when he hurt his shoulder and standard guard passes became difficult for him to do.

This is just very good, technical, awesome jiu jitsu.

Also that variation is almost identical to the triangle defense that saulo teaches. The only difference is that your other arm is out, rather than in. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same damn thing.

what is this triangle defense you speak of??

I know the triangle defense you are talking about. I will shoot more video in the gym monday night and try to get that uploaded.

Back