• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

*** Sterling vs. Yan Scoring MEGATHREAD ***

How Did You Score the Fight?

• Total voters
like what the fuck am i watching.... what is this judging thats going on.....the sport is going up and the judging is going down hill.... how did Sterling win round 1 ? He was being stalked the entire round.... since when did he manage to win it? by doing what? He took some huge strikes towards the end of the first round and he won it?

I also thought i was about to throw up when i heard "it might be a 10-8 round" during the sterling body locks.... are you kidding me? 10-8? by doing what? People are going crazy recently with these decisions and the scoring, leg kicks winning championships over head strikes, body locks winning belts, we going to see Stockton slap winning the belt soon at this rate shit is hella cringe.

The easiest rounds 1-4-5 you will see in your life how you can fuck this up i will never comprehend.

Exactly how I saw it, the fight was EXTREMELY easy to score, Yan won 1,4 and 5 beyond dispute, and Sterling won 2 and 3 beyond dispute.

How in the actual fuck did all 3 sherdog judges give Sterling the first? Are you fucking kidding me? He just backpeddled and barely did anything. Absolutely bizarre.

Sterling was not dominated in the last 2 rounds at all. Yan won them for sure, but not domination by any means from my perspective
Sterling didn't land anything significant and was completely controlled on the ground. Unless you feel for some reason that controlling someone's back and doing nothing is any different than controlling someone anywhere else, which is a dumb rule that benefits stalling.

It was clearly a 10-8. In the third and fourth not enough damage was done for either of them to be scored a 10-8.

That's the full definition. I've seen it written even more plainly as "Clearly winning a round" vs. "Winning a competitive round". You should be getting several 10-8s on every card as it was intended to fix a lot the 10-9 failures.

People are too stuck in old thinking where 10-8 had to be a complete domination and near finish. This is NOT what a 10-8 is under the new rules. That would be a 10-7 under the new rules as per John McCarthy while possible, should almost never be used because a fight should be stopped at that point.

See a lot of people scoring 10 8 for Aljo. Holding a position for a whole round doing nothing with it does not equal a 10 8 round. You don't see people getting 10 8 for staying in guard a whole round. In a 5 round fight and especially 3 round fights, 10 8 rounds is a pretty damn huge impact on a scorecard so they shouldn't be handed out just for holding a position.

Submitting high level fighters like Yan is extremely difficult.
Yes. And he shouldnt get a 10 8 just for that. If thats all it takes,more people would do this passive non fighting.

That's the full definition. I've seen it written even more plainly as "Clearly winning a round" vs. "Winning a competitive round". You should be getting several 10-8s on every card as it was intended to fix a lot the 10-9 failures.

People are too stuck in old thinking where 10-8 had to be a complete domination and near finish. This is NOT what a 10-8 is under the new rules. That would be a 10-7 under the new rules as per John McCarthy while possible, should almost never be used because a fight should be stopped at that point.
Exactly. People are just stubborn and refuse to adapt to the new way. If judges would actually apply the new criteria properly, it would clear up a lot of questionable decisions. 10-9 should literally only be scored for rounds that were reasonably close, with one fighter doing a little more to get the win. 10-8 is essentially what most people still view as 10-9, and 10-7 is what most people view as 10-8.

Round 1 was an insanely close round, so much so that everyone is debating who actually won it. It makes absolutely no sense for round 1 to be scored the same as any of the other rounds in that fight - all of which had clear winners. It's literal insanity to score rounds 1 and 2 both as 10-9 rounds in that fight. One had a much clearer winner than the other, and scoring should reflect that.

TIL that "stalking" your opponent is enough to win a round while taking someone's back is nothing. ULTIMATE STALKING CHAMPIONSHIP!

Then you could score some of the Colby Masvidal rounds 10-8... you have to do damage or get close to a finish to get a 10-8 IMO. Keeping someone's back and continually trying for an RNC is more like octagon control.

Agreed. If you could get a 10-8 for just control only, the only way you're going to be able to beat one of these neckbeards is by KO

I think the scoring was justified, Sterling did what he intended which was control and score points, not lose position getting overzealous rushing a sub or inflicting more damage.

Effective grappling/striking is seen as equal under the unified rules. A 10-8 round under the new rules is simply "Clear winning the round" while 10-9 is "Winning a competitive round". There was nothing competitive about that. He shut him down and had his way with Yan while fishing for position and submissions. If that isn't a 10-8, nothing is.

Im ok with it. I was bored enough to play elden ring throughout the fight, but not for khazmat or volks. Then shit just got too long and turned off the stream.

Sterling didn't land anything significant and was completely controlled on the ground. Unless you feel for some reason that controlling someone's back and doing nothing is any different than controlling someone anywhere else, which is a dumb rule that benefits stalling.
Yeah You cant really do much w that other than shut the other guy down. Yan defended the chokes fairly easily,and that was the only thing Sterling tried to do. No way thats a 10 8,just cos he kept his legs crossed? fuck outta here son.

With the ten point must system, a 10-8 should need damage. Even if someone is in dominant position, if there's no significant damage, it should be 10-9. In my opinion. I absolutely hate the new 10-8 rules. In a three round fight, it's almost impossible to overcome. It also gives idiot judges the opportunity to fuck up a fight outcome more.

Just my two cents, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
138cfh
Back