stepping diagonally for the lead leg roundhouse

Bay Area

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Anyone else use this technique? Its something that I have been playing around with lately. Since I stand in a boxer's stance, its diffiicult to get the lead leg high roundhouse off. Switching then kicking for the roundhouse feels awkward from that stance because it feels like I am compromising my protective bladed stance. So does the cross to the lead leg round house kick. I can just kick straight from my stance without a set up, but its kind of hard to get any range that way.

So lately, I have been steping with my rear leg (from orthodox) off to the right and a little forward, then throwing the lead leg high roundhouse. It works great and is very easy to set up.

Anyone esle try this method?

DISCUSS

You do TKD and Boxing right?

I don't usually do a lot of stepping forward and hitting. I don't have a lot of sparring partners who stand out. Almost all of them are trying to close the gap on me, so there isn't much point to it - stepping back with the rear leg, then dragging the lead up to a kick? All day (;

So if the count is 1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4... and on your one, you step, and your two you kick, do you ever get countered on their one? In my opinion, the point of the set up sense you can snap kick through a block is to prevent them from acting on their one during your step. When I see people take a step forward, if it brings them into range, I like to attack immediately.

Thats how I was taught at muay thai... Take a small step and fire it from there... If not, its hella awkward

But have you seen Denis siver throws that lead roundhouse in a milisecond in his fighg against nam phan??? He must have a tkd background or somehing but it seems fast and deadly

A straight counter lead kick is great for disrupting combos, balance, their advance, footwork, etc. But When I need more oomph in my lead leg kick, I do step off to the right before throwing the kick.

Thats how I was taught at muay thai... Take a small step and fire it from there... If not, its hella awkward

But have you seen Denis siver throws that lead roundhouse in a milisecond in his fighg against nam phan??? He must have a tkd background or somehing but it seems fast and deadly

Have you tried pivoting when you are doing a normal counter lead leg kick?

Yeah it sounds like a plan, Bay Area. It will also help you throw it heavier into their lead leg.
If you have an aggressive opponent, step back with your lead into a southpaw kicking stance and fire your right. Setting them up with jabs will help too.

Ill try pivoting when I get back to my heavy bag, I guess it would add more snap to the kick??

Yeah thats one of the two main ways (either switch step or step out) I was taught to throw MT kicks. I like that method cause it's faster then the switch. You also cover ground moving forward and create an angle on your opponent stepping out. Pretty much my go to lead roundhouse.

do you ever get countered on their one? In my opinion, the point of the set up sense you can snap kick through a block is to prevent them from acting on their one during your step. When I see people take a step forward, if it brings them into range, I like to attack immediately.

Yeah I do TKD and boxing. Its a subltle step off to the side and forward. Its hard to tell what will come next. Its so subtle to detect. It just looks like I am stepping off line. But it puts me in a prime position to fire off the lead roundhouse with some power. I can mask it even further whith a 1,2 while I am stepping off line. Jab, right (while stepping) then kick. Its a lot easier to do than that switch, and especially firing it directly from the stance with no set up.
Where as the switch then kick is not so subtle.

Yeah it sounds like a plan, Bay Area. It will also help you throw it heavier into their lead leg.
If you have an aggressive opponent, step back with your lead into a southpaw kicking stance and fire your right. Setting them up with jabs will help too.

Seems you gotta be very flexible to pull that off though.

There are a few ways I setup a lead leg round kick:

Pivot kick from stance
Switch stance and kick
Northeast step and kick
Southeast step and kick

Anyone else use this technique? Its something that I have been playing around with lately. Since I stand in a boxer's stance, its diffiicult to get the lead leg high roundhouse off. Switching then kicking for the roundhouse feels awkward from that stance because it feels like I am compromising my protective bladed stance. So does the cross to the lead leg round house kick. I can just kick straight from my stance without a set up, but its kind of hard to get any range that way.

So lately, I have been steping with my rear leg (from orthodox) off to the right and a little forward, then throwing the lead leg high roundhouse. It works great and is very easy to set up.

DISCUSS

I was doing this I think, I would step forward maybe alittle bit of an angle, I was closing distance and then bringing my lead leg real quick with the roundhouse and it works, on novices.
If you land it on a veteran they will see it comeing because of the step and they will side kick the sh*t out of you.

The only reason I dont do it anymore was from getting broke of it with repeated side kicks. For about a week solid 3 guys just kept bustin my ribs evertime I steped first.

Now I do the same thing to other people its easy to pick up

so I kinda fake a hoping sidekick to close distance and get the hands to drop then fire the roundhouse. Just my two cents if I understood the question right.

DISCUSS

One of my favourite ways to throw the lead high kick is like what you have been doing, except that I like to disguise the step. I throw 1,2, fake 1 while stepping out with my rear foot, then LHK.
Here's a great example of a 1,2, step LHK at 1:10

And the switch kick can be very effective if you are fast enough with it @0:49

Last edited:
Did the guy in the second video even switch if so it was so fast I cant see it

In the first video its not a lead leg, awsome roundhouse but it came from the rear.

but anyway that combo is awsome he didnt even see it coming

awsome roundhouse but it came from the rear.

Its still a lead leg roundhouse. It came after the cross, which squared his shoulders up to throw that kick.

Anyway that wasn't what I was talking about. I was speaking of just stepping off to the right and lead leg roundhouse

There are a few ways I setup a lead leg round kick:

Pivot kick from stance
Switch stance and kick
Northeast step and kick
Southeast step and kick

How does the southeast step work? You mean stepping away from your opponent? Would you use that when they are advancing on you?

Its still a lead leg roundhouse. It came after the cross, which squared his shoulders up to throw that kick.

Anyway that wasn't what I was talking about. I was speaking of just stepping off to the right and lead leg roundhouse

Didn't realize shoulder position dictated whether it was a lead leg or rear, thought the switch needed to happen in order to constitute it being a lead leg.

hip position probably has somthing to do with it also then.

I still think if you step plant then bring up the lead it leaves you open for a counter after the step before you bring your leg up. maybe not if your going more diaganol then steping forward.

How does the southeast step work? You mean stepping away from your opponent? Would you use that when they are advancing on you?

I don't see any other way that would work

Back