• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Stephen Hawking passes away at 76

RIP to one of the greatest minds ever. It ws a wonder that he lived with ALS so long. A tough bastard, he was.

In a world where people are venerated and celebrated, and who wield extraordinary social influence and financial wealth, because they have large bottoms, what’s one less physicist going to matter, in the grand scheme?

Contributed greatly to mankind while suffering through a nightmarish disease.

Was so smart we sometimes forgot the horrors of his disease.

Truly a Rest in Peace wish for him.

RIP old man

stephen-hawking-says-robots-will-take-over-and-destroy-the-human-race-good.jpg

Was told he only had months to live. He replied, "Fuck you", lived for decades and made such an impact on Science that his legacy will reverberate long after his death.

RIP:cool:

"Have I played the role well? Then do not weep for me when I leave the stage".

- Augustus Caesar

Last edited:
I’m thankful that at least he won’t have to live through the extinction of mankind at the hands of evil AI as he has long feared.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30290540

RIP to a great man.

Neil deGrasse Tyson had excerpts from an interview he did with Hawking on a recent episode of Star Talk. Neil asked Steven if he would want his mind transferred to a computer if possible and Steven replied he would volunteer if the chance was offered.

In a better place where he's whole again and not bound to his wheelchair.

Like most intelligent people, Hawking didn't believe in God or an afterlife.

If Hawking over came no real adversity in his life, he would have still been an amazing man.

To accomplish what he did, with a torturous and debilitating disease while losing control of his body and his speech, is amazing, and deserves every accolade possible in his life and his death.

I'll always love him for lending his voice as the WOPR in the movie War Games.

From the BBC;
In the late 1990s, he was reportedly offered a knighthood, but 10 years later revealed he had turned it down over issues with the government's funding for science

Actually it's March 14. The rest of the world doesn't work on US time zone.

Last night his death was listed as March 13, I looked it up thinking the same thing. This morning its listed as March 14, so it was changed.

RIP to one of the greatest scientific minds of all time

We were lucky to have him for as long as we did.

What do people get out of writing rip on the Internet?

Is it just just some kind of virtue signalling?

Back