State Commissions Need to Stop Legends from Fighting

MadNIghtKing

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
This post might be late as hell but I didn't watch the fight live. I don't think there could have been a more terrible end to Silva's career. The even sadder part is that he's going to come back because it was so embarrassing that they have to re-do the last fight of his career. There needs to be some sort of psychological, medical, and fitness testing to allow 40+ year olds to fight in the octagon at the highest of highest levels.

The paycheck in the UFC is just to enticing for these old guys and not to mention, how do we know that they are even in the right frame of mind when they accept these fights after years of getting hit in the head?

And it makes for fights that are such complete garbage. Honestly, I think Hall and Anderson had a pact to just take the fight into the later rounds. It's a fucking embarrassment to the sport where guys are actually giving it their all and fighting to survive and win fights.

They’ll just go fight overseas in a country without a commission with Bellator or some other B-Level promo

I hope the ufc brings back Ken shamrock for his retirement fight

Your first paragraph was bad. The second one was worse. But the last one was the worst.

Many people would have told you before the fight that the first couple rounds were going to look like that, unless Hall mentally checked in right away - which he usually does not.

There are medicals that the fighters have to pass.

I can already imagine the MMA CTE news stories that are going to start popping up in the next 10 years. Wouldn't be surprised if there is a Chris Benoit type situation with one of the fighters. I don't wish for it but it is what it is.

Not gonna happen...

cats-stealing-money.gif

They should at least not be signing off on fights like this. Hall is fucking ranked top ten and only 36. Silva is 45 and is 1-7 in 8 years. How is that an ok thing to happen?

Silva should be fighting someone who's 40+ and not Yoel Romero.

They should at least not be signing off on fights like this. Hall is fucking ranked top ten and only 36. Silva is 45 and is 1-7 in 8 years. How is that an ok thing to happen?

Silva should be fighting someone who's 40+ and not Yoel Romero.
Yeah and it's so blatantly obvious that they are just playing patty-cake for a few rounds. Does anybody really think that Israel Adesanya couldn't finish a 43/44 year old Silva. NO! There was obviously some sort of agreement before-hand.

Yeah and it's so blatantly obvious that they are just playing patty-cake for a few rounds. Does anybody really think that Israel Adesanya couldn't finish a 43/44 year old Silva. NO! There was obviously some sort of agreement before-hand.

yeah that's the part i'm not with you on at all. There was no such agreement. Hall fucking DEADED Silva twice lol. Both Hall and Izzy just have a lot of respect and admiration for Silva and were a little affected by his mystique because of this and fear of his counter game. Izzy had a bit of this going on with Yoel and Hall has a history of being a slow starter and headcase. And even though Silva's reflexes and agility are faded he's still crafty and has the experience of a great to make them think.

Izzy COULD have did what Hall did tonight, but he didn't. Possibly he didn't want to because he didn't think he had to. It was also only three rounds. Silva would have survived tonight if it was only three rounds.

Cannonier had no such respect for Silva's mystique. That was a man who believes our bodies are just mortal husks and has plans to visit the sun in his astral form. He also has no problem intimidating children who question his fighting ability. So he just went out and kicked the shit out of Silva.

This post might be late as hell but I didn't watch the fight live. I don't think there could have been a more terrible end to Silva's career. The even sadder part is that he's going to come back because it was so embarrassing that they have to re-do the last fight of his career. There needs to be some sort of psychological, medical, and fitness testing to allow 40+ year olds to fight in the octagon at the highest of highest levels.

The paycheck in the UFC is just to enticing for these old guys and not to mention, how do we know that they are even in the right frame of mind when they accept these fights after years of getting hit in the head?

And it makes for fights that are such complete garbage. Honestly, I think Hall and Anderson had a pact to just take the fight into the later rounds. It's a fucking embarrassment to the sport where guys are actually giving it their all and fighting to survive and win fights.
These are the words of someone who doesn’t understand how hard it is to walk away from something you’ve worked your entire life to become. Anderson Silva has poured everything into being a fighter his entire life. It’s not so simple to walk away from that. And it’s not up to you, or me, or anyone else to tell him when “it’s time”.

Elderweight division, for fighters age 40 and above: Yoel, DC (before retiring), Aleksei Oleinik, etc

yeah that's the part i'm not with you on at all. There was no such agreement. Hall fucking DEADED Silva twice lol. Both Hall and Izzy just have a lot of respect and admiration for Silva and were a little affected by his mystique because of this and fear of his counter game. Izzy had a bit of this going on with Yoel and Hall has a history of being a slow starter and headcase. And even though Silva's reflexes and agility are faded he's still crafty and has the experience of a great to make them think.

Izzy COULD have did what Hall did tonight, but he didn't. Possibly he didn't want to because he didn't think he had to. It was also only three rounds. Silva would have survived tonight if it was only three rounds.

Cannonier had no such respect for Silva's mystique. That was a man who believes our bodies are just mortal husks and has plans to visit the sun in his astral form. He also has no problem intimidating children who question his fighting ability. So he just went out and kicked the shit out of Silva.
Okay I'll agree with your last sentence. Some sort of combination of the win is already in the bag + starstruck.

Reactions: xP
These are the words of someone who doesn’t understand how hard it is to walk away from something you’ve worked your entire life to become. Anderson Silva has poured everything into being a fighter his entire life. It’s not so simple to walk away from that. And it’s not up to you, or me, or anyone else to tell him when “it’s time”.
Okay but as Dana has already admitted this was a big mistake on his part to let him fight. UFC needs to be more responsible about this. That fight went from boring to sad.

Back