Starz's AMERICAN GODS (Returns March 10, 2019)

I didnt like it very much. I didnt hate it, either. It did intrigue the fuck out of me and now I really wanna watch season 2 somehow.

Picked up the book finally and am almost through with it. So far its stood pretty faithful to the book, dialogue and all and i like the changes they have made on top of that

Guys i didn't like Hannibal but liked Sandman, should i give this a try?

Guys i didn't like Hannibal but liked Sandman, should i give this a try?
Yes, it's worth a watch. But be warned, there's a distinct Hannibal feel to American Gods, from the eerie, ominous music (which I think is misplaced in here), to the visually breathtaking but self-indulgent slow-mo shots (they even have similar dire animal dream sequences). Season one is dragging one third of the time with lots of "stretching" scenes but I guess you can overlook this flaw if you binge watch it.

I really wish Bryan Fuller wasn't the showrunner. I just think his style is not optimum for this show and he just rehashed a lot of elements from Hannibal.

Superb show,just started and I'm at episode 4,
my favorite character so far is Compe Anansi lol.

Binge watched it over the last couple of days. Great show.

Jesus' portrayal was the most dissapointing aspect of the show so far. The most relevant god in the world is just punchline / comic relief material. They could have made him an interesting character, but liberal show execs hate Jesus.

Binge watched it over the last couple of days. Great show.

Jesus' portrayal was the most dissapointing aspect of the show so far. The most relevant god in the world is just punchline / comic relief material. They could have made him an interesting character, but liberal show execs hate Jesus.
???

They did make him an interesting character.

The mere fact that they made "him" a "they" is an interesting take on his character. There are multiple Jesuses, all of whom are thought of in the image of the people who worship him. Where you saw a joke, I saw a biting criticism of the vanity of man.

Plus, you're aware that the commonly held Western notion of what Jesus actually looked like is really propganda, perpetuated by a long dead corrupt former pope, who wanted everyone to think of his son whenever they thought of Jesus? He was largely successful.

Last edited:
???

They did make him an interesting character.

The mere fact that they made "him" a "they" is an interesting take on his character. There are multiple Jesuses, all of whom are thought of in the image of the people who worship him. Where you saw a joke, I saw a biting criticism of the vanity of man.

Plus, you're aware that the commonly held Western notion of what Jesus actually looked like is really propganda, perpetuated by a long dead corrupt former pope, who wanted everyone to think of his son whenever they thought of Jesus? He was largely successful.

Mexican Jesus getting shot by rednecks holding rosary beads and Jesus Rifles was some corny comic relief. Not saying that it wasn't ironic or funny, but Christians are an easy target. Good for you that you see it as a criticism of the vanity of man. You're so intelligent, dude !

Jesus was a total cuck in that scene. No personality whatsoever.

Out of curiosity, I checked if they're actually adapting the book when it comes to the Jesus stuff, and as I suspected, Jesus doesn't appear in the book.

Mexican Jesus getting shot by rednecks holding rosary beads and Jesus Rifles was some corny comic relief. Not saying that it wasn't ironic or funny, but Christians are an easy target.
You call it corny comic relief, I call it not too far from reality.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/1...ed-bomb-plot-targeting-somali-immigrants.html
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...igration-groups-resurge-on-border-5995324.php

Out of curiosity, I checked if they're actually adapting the book when it comes to the Jesus stuff, and as I suspected, Jesus doesn't appear in the book.
The book itself is actually short. The showrunners are taking a lot of liberties and adding things to pad the runtime.

I don't like the dead wife, apathetic cunt. It's tedious watching her. I have nothing against the actress, it's the role i guess.

The book itself is actually short. The showrunners are taking a lot of liberties and adding things to pad the runtime.

So far it's working. Not going near the book because I don't want the story spoiled, but whereas many are criticizing the show's pace I loved how all the characters are being fleshed out.

I still maintain that they could have made much more out of Jesus (within the series' mythos i envision him as a persuasive, smooth-talking, televangelist style charismatic figure allied with the new Gods) but let's agree to disagree on that one.

I don't like the dead wife, apathetic cunt. It's tedious watching her. I have nothing against the actress, it's the role i guess.

At first she's a cunt, but during the subplot where she rides with the leprechaun she shows more personality and wit than her husband.

agreed, I loved all of the show on my first watch, but on a rewatch I found her parts slow and annoying and the rest held up perfectly.

great show.

@chickenluver I recommend the show, but I loved Hannibal --- I would say this is a lot different than Hannibal though... aesthetically it's almost as beautiful, but the content is way different and so is the feel. It's just a dope ass show, IMO, not exactly comparable to Hannibal except that it's beautiful.

Man that scene where the leprechaun is holding her under water in the motel and the police come in...

"she ain't dead yet, see... "

" ohhh you're an asshole dead wife, you're an asshole "

Comedy gold!

Man that scene where the leprechaun is holding her under water in the motel and the police come in...

"she ain't dead yet, see... "

" ohhh you're an asshole dead wife, you're an asshole "

Comedy gold!
Yeah that was a hilarious scene.

Someone told me about this show today and it sounds pretty interesting. If you have seen it, is it any good?

I stopped after 2 eps.

Kinda weird, but you might like it.

I did not enjoy it much, but I also was not a fan of the book.

Back