starting up

legendsneverdie

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just started training gi-bjj. Aside from my flexibility and surviving, I'm having a hard time getting started. What were some of the things you first focused on when you started training? My buddy says to work on developing my guard but didn't eleborate, also to find some gaurd passes and try to learn as many of them as I can.

Also, I'll note my instructors are trained in gracie jj under master Pedro Sauer.

just keep training mate,
it will be clear as mud until one day it just clicks as your mind starts understanding the mechanics of it all (leverage, technique over strength, basic positioning of your limbs to make things happen, and muscle memory ie throwing your legs straight around the other person to go into guard rather than laying like a starfish haha)

Really the most important thing is just to show up everyday.. The more time on the mat, the more bjj will unravel and open itself up to you. When first starting Gi JJ you want to work on a couple of things... First is the grips. Learn where to grab, when you are in trouble, and how to break grips. Also, your buddy is right, work on your guard... Basically just keeping it, regaining it, and staying out of trouble. Being a new white belt is all about survival... Just survive and keep coming.

I just started too, I understand what you mean. If search moves and really understand how they work and what they look like, when you get in class everyone will impressed to see you know what moves and positions are which.

Goodluck bro

Just keep showing up, consistency is the key. Its all about mat time, eventually you'll get it.

Learn the best grips from each position. Grips make a world of difference when you discover them. Also movement movement movement. Movement more than technique. Movement gets you from the bad position to the good position and keeps you there more than technique. But technique is also very important.

Back