Starting boxing at 18

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by BigBdaddy, Feb 19, 2016.

1. BigBdaddy

BigBdaddy White Belt

I'm gonna be turning 18 here in the next two months and really wanna start teaming boxing, the issue is I'm about 215 and 6'1 and I feel as if I'm to heavy and in not good enough shape but I'm really gonna pursue this so does anyone have an opinion on this ?

Kingofthestreets likes this.
  2. Sunfish

Sunfish Martinez Belt

Da sex started late and ended up lineal champ

MC Paul Barman likes this.
  3. BigBdaddy

BigBdaddy White Belt

Whose this lol

4. Sunfish

Sunfish Martinez Belt

Sergio Martinez

5. Shoemaker

Shoemaker ****BOILERPLATE**** Platinum Member

A Boat With Shannon Briggs, Right Behind You
    Boxing will fix that too-heavy problem. Just go give it a shot.

6. ironfist05

ironfist05 Silver Belt

Boxing is always a great thing to start.

If you're worried about your physical shape, boxing will fix that. If you're really worried, just go running a bunch before your lessons start, that'll probably help some

7. Grill master

Grill master #GUERNICABless

Yep, started at 21 or so and went on to be one of the finest boxers of his generation.

It's never too late TS. Train hard and don't let a few gym beat Downs turn you off. Concentrate on improving rather than hurting people.

8. mathiaz

mathiaz White Belt

Lawrence Cley Bey started later in the game and had some success. Forgot to mention he was a corrections officer and started boxing just to lose weight.

9. Prime Yossarian

Prime Yossarian Brown Belt

I started at 33, 2 years later Im in the best shape I've ever been in. It's good fun, a great work out and you'll get into great shape really quickly. A lot of guys in good shape will still gas out really fast as they are too tense and dont breathe properly when starting out.

Just have fun, enjoy it. Don't put pressure on yourself to be a world beater by 20 because the guys with more experience will embarrass you to start with which can be pretty discouraging.

10. proudamericanda

proudamericanda Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Da Sex was also in excellent condition because he had been doing cycling and soccer his whole life. a couch potato has a much slimmer chance of pulling that off.

But with that said, just do it and compete in some local amateur events. Find a gym that has a few pro fighters and they will likely have plenty of sparring partners and will be able to get you into some regional stuff. But start working on your cardio today, lots of hill sprints.

11. Sunfish

Sunfish Martinez Belt

I know he did I was just trying to give him a confidence boost. Don't be that guy pad.

12. Kingofthestreets

Kingofthestreets king of the streets

To me boxing workouts don't do it for my weight, I have gore so good and I can basically stand still and just use my arms most of the time.
    I'd recomed serious running as soon as you are ready to complement the boxing.
    I started in my 20s so you have time to get good, many people think like'in 3 years I'll be good' but the truth is you can get good in a couple of months if you try to learn how to actually box instead of focusing on doing 1000 push ups. And most important its a processes. Good luck, watch klitcko and mayweather, mimik them and you have done most of the job already

13. Cracky

Cracky Fanny Pack

Do your thin man.. who gives a shit what people think.. If you wanted to start boxing at 35, you should still do it... it's a great sport and a great way to get in touch with your primal side...

Also, a lot of guys that succeeded started late.. off the top of my head, Michael Grant comes to mind.. he started late.. Sergio the sex Martinez started late too..both started later than you.

14. KillerIsBack V2

KillerIsBack V2 Brown Belt

Bernard "The Alien" Hopkins.

15. jkthenatural

jkthenatural Snake In The Grass

Anthony Joshua might not be the best example because of physique but he started at 18