Starting BJJ

SamuraiWhack

Table Top
Reaction score
I finally found a BJJ class that isnt too far and assuming this is the best place to post this can anyone give me a basic list of equipment I will need to start with if any?

(Also my apoligies if this is already in a thread somewhere the search function would work for me)

Thanks in advance.

They only have beginner no-gi.

I assumed only t-shirt and shorts but I see all this stuff about rashguards etc and wondered if I needed any of this stuff.

Thanks again.

T-shirt and shorts will be fine. You can get a rashguard and fight shorts if you want to be fancy. Kneepads/mouthguard/ankle supports optional.

You don't need a cup. Shorts and t-shirt is all you need. And the shorts - try to use boardshorts, not basketball shorts or shorts that fall much above your knee.

To be honest, I've been training for about a year now and have yet to take a serious shot to the nuts. I'm sure when I do though I'll become the world's biggest cup advocate.

I've been training for about 2 years, I've never been hit hard in the nuts either.

To be honest, I've been training for about a year now and have yet to take a serious shot to the nuts. I'm sure when I do though I'll become the world's biggest cup advocate.

It's not about taking a shot in the nuts. It's about having a 200+ lb newb spaz trying to pass your guard up the middle with their shin grinding your manhood.

I have been hit in the nuts several times (with and without cup). I would highly recommend one. One shot to the boys and you'll be a believer. You get used to it real quickly and doesn't inhibit movement despite popular opinion.

This was me. I never wore one for the first year till a guy did a knee slide pass of my halfguard and just crushed and ground my boys up. Now I always wear one.

To the OP I'd also look at getting a couple ice packs. When you first start things are going to be real sore a lot. I always keep two in the freezer that I can put on as soon as I get home and get out of the shower. A little preventative ice can keep you on the mat longer the next day and avoid those day after moments where you can barley lift you arm or bend your elbow.

To the OP I'd also look at getting a couple ice packs. When you first start things are going to be real sore a lot. I always keep two in the freezer that I can put on as soon as I get home and get out of the shower. A little preventative ice can keep you on the mat longer the next day and avoid those day after moments where you can barley lift you arm or bend your elbow.

I definitely second the ice packs!

Buy a cup. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...

Back