starting bjj

remember to stay humble and have fun.

do let us know how it goes.

im probably not starting till the beginning of august, so ill try to remember to tell you how it goes.

You'll probably feel a lot of pain as you start training, and most of it is ok, normal, and shouldn't worry you. Something you might notice if you stick for a while is that your skin gets used to jiu jitsu. It's a good thing.

Don't think too much about this for a while, but remember that you shouldn't crank the back of the neck, or what they call the cervical. Your teacher will explain this better.

If you're doing it to lose weight, I recommend you don't worry too much about what you eat on the first week. Only remember that you should avoid eating 30 minutes before the class. If possible, eat an hour before it, and don't over eat.

Jiu jitsu schools tend to be way more laid back and relaxed than karate schools and other traditional martial arts places, so don't worry too much about etiquette and rituals and not knowing what to do. Just be humble and polite, and when in doubt, ask.

I see so many guys not stick with this sport. So I would say above all attitude is by far the most important thing. Most people, especially those who want to become UFC badasses just can't handle coming in and getting their butts handed to them for the first few months while they are rank beginners. I seriously think 1 in about 10 guys who start training make it to blue, if that.

EXPECT TO GET OWNED. You are going to suck out loud at first. Just expect it and go in with the appropriate attitude. Ego is your worst enemy when you start out, just remember that. I can't ever remember being as frustrated as I was to start out. Be patient and tough it out and then it gets fun..

Icey/Hot pads. Alternate between hot and cold, 20 minutes on 20 minutes off. Pulled muscles suck. Try not to break anything, that suck's worse.

EXPECT TO GET OWNED. You are going to suck out loud at first. Just expect it and go in with the appropriate attitude. Ego is your worst enemy when you start out, just remember that. I can't ever remember being as frustrated as I was to start out. Be patient and tough it out and then it gets fun..
This.

For the first month, you will probably not notice yourself getting any better and it will be frustrating, but stick with it. If you go in expecting it to suck for a month or two, then that's realistic. Don't be surprised if you have a few "WTF am I doing here?" moments.

Another thing you can do to help measure your improvement is take note of how many times you get subbed by different people per roll, or how many times you manage to escape. You might get subbed 5-10 times in 5 minutes by someone. If you only get subbed 4 times by that same guy, you've made progress. While technically the academy is a place of experimentation and learning, it is true that if you give the same effort against different opponents then you can get an estimate of how your skill is improving by your success against them.

Of course, remember that people vary their intensity from week to week. If someone is not giving it 100% it does not mean that they are weak or slow, it means that they are not giving it 100%. This can be because they are trying to be more technical, they have an injury, they want to see what you can do (instructors need to do this to gauge your ability), they want to work their way out of a particular position, or simply that they are considerate and want to let you practice some of your jiu jitsu.

on my 2nd week I attended a rolling session ( my school does 3 days of drill type sessions and 2 sessions of rolling)
some of the guys went fast and just used me as a rag doll,
others went real slow and let me at least try stuff but I knew nothing essentially and so just used it as time to feel how it all works and understand the principals etc

once your head is around the fact you suck and just how each bio mechanical part of the game works it becomes easier I think, everybody started from ZERO as well

you have 2 eyes 2 ears and 1 mouth, use them in that amount

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back