Starting BJJ, what to expect?

4ozGlove

White Belt
Reaction score
Well the title of this thread says it all, what should I expect in my first few training lessons?
Thanks

Thx dude, I guess I committed internet forum sin number 1. Search function before posting!

Great article ^

Awesome article. Im more pumped to get started but im a bit nervous about my fitness and strength, I dont think its up to par.

I'm actually writing an addition to the article about that, but I'll give you a little preview. First:

FITNESS LEVEL AND STRENGTH DO NOT MATTER WHEN STARTING BJJ.

Of course being fit and strong helps, but I've seen a lot of out of shape or non-athletic people start BJJ and end up doing really well. I've also seen a lot of really ripped guys gas and puke on their first night (not to mention all the tapping), so it's not like it really matters that much at first. Everyone should expect to have a hard time at BJJ at first, maybe for the first couple weeks.

Just stick to it.

Listen, I'm 150 lbs. and have had IT desk jobs for the last 4 years. I have no previous martial arts or sports training and have never really lifted weights or worked out. My nickname at class means "tall and skinny".

My first few weeks were hell: By sparring, I'd be dizzy and almost passing out from exhaustions; I could hardly make it through one round of rolling. Even warm-ups and techniques were killing me.

But I just stuck to it. I started doing one class per week. Then as soon as my body could take it, I was at two. Then three, four and now five. And as I got in shape, and as I learned more technique got more skilled (part of which was learning when to relax), all my "strength and fitness" issues disappeared. I'm now in the best shape of my life, train five nights a week and can spar all night long.

I got my blue belt in about 7 months, and I'm coming on two years of training soon.

So just stick to it.

I've seen people use the excuse "I'll start training once I'm in shape," and claim they are going to workout on their own before they go to a gym. I thought this at first, but then I couldn't stick to my fitness routine. I realized that this was really just an cop out. If I really wanted to get in shape, I should just start doing BJJ.

So I did, and it all worked.

Just go in and start training. Most problems and concerns can be solved with more time on the mats.

expect sore joints. skin ripped off the tops of your fingers and toes.....and constant daydreams of tapping someone with your favorite move....in my case the flying triangle

4ozGlove said:
Well the title of this thread says it all, what should I expect in my first few training lessons?
Thanks

Expect not being able to move the next morning, and tons of bruises.

4ozGlove said:
Thanks

Expect to get injured if you don't tap.
Expect higher belts to give you a hard time if you spaz on them.

Good luck!

Expect to be sore and be choked ALOT!

A good thing to do is buy glucosamine. It will help your joints heal from getting put in armbars and stuff.

dutchmasterj3 said:
A good thing to do is buy glucosamine. It will help your joints heal from getting put in armbars and stuff.

You can grab this at any pharamacy without a problem?

Thanks for all the replies. I'll post how it goes in a week or so.

Back