Started training in Muay Thai...

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Ogata, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Ogata

Ogata Red Belt

Goddamn, as someone who has been Boxing for one billion years and have been doing Kyokushin Karate, I have to say that Thai Boxing is no joke!!!

I am extremely curious to know how CM Punk is going to deal with the thai boxing training. I mean with Boxing, its more so about the footwork and learning footwork can be frustrating and confusing but at least it doesn't hurt like hell.

I find that it takes longer to recover from Thai Boxing workouts than it is from boxing and karate.

2. phd

phd Brown Belt

I've been training UFC for like, a year now.

That shit is hard, too.

3. Da Speeink

Da Speeink Banned Banned

CM punk isn't some d-level Sherdog athlete, he's an A-level who's been beating up much bigger guys for years.

4. Nuclear

Nuclear Yellow Belt

all movements in muay thai begin with your feet. the sooner you realize this the better off you will be.

5. Ogata

Ogata Red Belt

The thing that is difficult to remember is that, when we kick, our supporting leg should be on the ball of our foot. That's what Kru said.

Although I am not to versed in the Thai boxing culture and I know from being involved in the boxing culture that, there are many different styles of boxing and fundamental training. So I am not sure if there are sub styles of muay thai.

6. bibabub

bibabub Yellow Belt

The dutch style jumps to mind

7. MMAProfessional

MMAProfessional Golden Belt

Start kicking trees and it will get easier...I'm not even joking

8. MilesAbove

MilesAbove Gold Belt

Good luck, man. It's a hard road like any martial art.... but damned if you don't find a new you within it.

Thaiboxer421 likes this.
  9. Toxxus

Toxxus The Ancient One

In ancient times I was training in muay thai and BJJ and it got me in crazy good shape.

Used to go do the 8.6 mile Great Aloha run with exactly zero jogging/running before the race.

10. Moneymma

Moneymma Brown Belt

How is this ufc discussion ts?
    Ive been training ufc for 3 years now and muay thai is nothing compared to ufc trust me

11. UL

UL no more yellows Double Yellow Card

Was training strikeforce but it got abolished in the end, too dangerous and was in competition with training ufc

12. MilesAbove

MilesAbove Gold Belt

I trained Affliction until Barnett ruined me.

13. barehanded

barehanded Purple Belt

Do you even lift bro?

14. @Brandon.S

@Brandon.S Purple Belt

To be honest a regular MT workout is no biggie, it should be easy if you have a lifetime of boxing workouts already.

However, nerve endings are not used to kicking, it will make you exhausted at first, you should be able to dominate plenty of beginners with superior footwork and boxing

Are you sure you boxed a billion years?

15. ajwbjj87

ajwbjj87 Black Belt

All jokes aside there are probably multiple Sherdoggers that could lay a beating on him, at least a few guys here have fought before

16. ajwbjj87

ajwbjj87 Black Belt

Just don't start training Bellator unless your looking for a quick scape goat into pro wrestling

17. Ogata

Ogata Red Belt

Isn't Dutch style a combination of boxing,thai boxing and kyokushin karate?

I believe you, I know in Kyokushin they condition the hands by hitting hard objects as well as the makawari and those guys have iron fist. So shin kicking solid objects does apply and makes sense as well.

Thanks man, I mean I enjoy training in martial arts because it builds character and it is challenging. Also martial arts like mma are also pretty good for self-defense situations.

But the thing is though, even though I have been doing different styles of martial arts, I still find it difficult trying new ones, this got me thinking how is CM Punk is going to deal with learning so many different styles in short amount of time.

Truth be told, because I am not well versed in muay thai, I fatigue faster and it takes longer to recover. While with boxing, because I am proficient at it, then I don't waste too much energy in training/sparring and I feel like I can go longer and recover quicker.

With CM being a noob striker really begs the question on how he is going to overcome the whole getting punched in the face. (forget the kick part for now...)

18. afflicted

afflicted JC Penney $3.98

When I started training Muay Thai was though as hell, couldnt stop my legs from shaking at night when I was trying to sleep, felt like I had Parkinson desease or something

Good luck bro, good to read youve trained boxing for years, thatll help you a lot for sure

19. MilesAbove

MilesAbove Gold Belt

Well I have no idea what CM Punk will do. But your fatiguing, while frustrating, is actually a good sign. It means you're not relaying on your strengths and enacting your weak points. A lot of guys that get into MT who already have boxing tend to simply rely on boxing during training and sparring. This is hubris, and they only remove their opportunity to improve a weakness.

So be proud you're "taking it on the chin" for now, because in the end you'll be the better for it. I started with Tang Soo Do. It was hard to stand straight and square. Honestly, I still can't get my hips as square as they should be for traditional MT. But constantly trying to correct it helps me not fall into my habits.

Just be ready for the pain of elbows and knees..... boy those are no fun. At the same time, they are cleansing :)

20. afflicted

afflicted JC Penney $3.98

Jan 15????
    so, by training UFC you mean posting on sherdog 26 fucking times a day, huh??? Jeez man, get out of your mommy's basement