Started MT yesterday

Barut

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
After around 7 months of Krav Maga (which I enjoyed), I finally decided that I would find a MT gym in my area. It's about 45 minutes from my house, but the place is awesome and I get to train under Sakasem Kanthawong. I was exhausted when I left last night and somehow managed to tear the skin off of the bottom of my left big toe.

Any advice from the vets would be appreciated.

Sakasem got robbed in his fight with Danny Steele.

As for advice on your training: Just be patient. Listen to the instructor. Work hard. The cool thing about Muay Thai is you can learn the basics and become relatively proficient pretty quickly.

About your toe: Tape it up for training. The rest of the time, try to keep it clean and dry if you can. Try to stay off it if you can.

I had that problem for first month or so....I found that liquid bandage along with taping helped a lot. I applied the liquid stuff before and after training.

Tell me more about the difference in training here and the CM place. You must have done a lot of sparring while going to CM since they have a lot of fight classes, did that help you? Do you get more instructions here? CM seems like a bite of free for all with not much real quality instruction. Good luck.

miniaq said:
Tell me more about the difference in training here and the CM place. You must have done a lot of sparring while going to CM since they have a lot of fight classes, did that help you? Do you get more instructions here? CM seems like a bite of free for all with not much real quality instruction. Good luck.

CM=Krav Maga?

There were two main reasons I left Krav.

1. My instructor was going through a divorce and started acting flaky. Classes were cut short, cancelled, etc.

2. No sparring. We did a ton of blocking drills, some grappling, but no sparring. I liked the system, but I really have no idea how well I could implement it in a fight...

Other than my crap cardio (I did make it through the class yesterday, but I was nearly dead at the end.) I think KM was a good art to transition to MT from. I had already learned straight punches, hooks, elbows, knees, uppercuts, round kicks, and teeps. I'm not saying I have perfect technique, but I am familiar with the strikes.

The school I studied Krav at was a MCDojo that had scheduled classes every second of the day. The MT gym I'm starting at is a MT gym. There are MT classes on the hour everyday. I can go as much as I like.

You should start running once your cardio advances well with the classes. One or two miles at first is good, about every other day or so. Then start to spar with lots of different people, at different paces. See where you're strengths and weeknesses are. I would try to get comfortable in the clinch.

Barut, sorry about the error. I meant KM. thanks for the answer.

Rexholio, is Sakasem Kanthawong really good? I'm pretty unfamiliar with muay thai and I want to take classes at that gym too. How are the classes going barut?

IMO Being sore is one of the best feelings there is. Mentally and physically. The sore-er the better.

= )

I too started MT this week, my cardio is shite and I've never done any type of martial arts before.
I've been hurting all week, but been enjoying the classes.

If my body holds up, I'ma keep on doing it.

Back