Started Ice Skating again for Hockey after back surgery and ankle reconstruction....

Benoitthegr8

Filthy Pensioner
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I had back surgery in Jan 2015, long rehab and I think I'm finally feeling good enough to start to skate again. Also a few years back I had a fib/tib Pyle fracture on my right ankle/leg, it was a nasty break, they had to do surgery and pin my ankle back together (after years and a long rehab it's still not fully functional). Anyway I used to play hockey, as in growing up doing ice hockey in the winter and street hockey during the warm months. I then had a 10 year hyatus when I first joined the military, but I picked the game back up in 2002/03 timeframe and had played up until 2008, my game and wheels came back and It was great.

After the ankle break I started skating again in 2012 while I was in Japan, the skating came back easy as in doing open skates but not for hockey... The problem was my right leg/ankle was so weak and my crossovers and stopping on my right side was noticibly weaker than the left. In Japan during open skating the only skate one direction counter clockwise, which didn't allow me to properly work on my weak side.

When I came back to the US in 2014 I started to play hockey again for a few months and just adjusted my game to work around being a weak right sided skater figuring it would just eventually come back. So then I needed to have back surgery, then here I am a year later and I cannot believe how bad my skating is overall, anyone who is a skilled skater knows how perishable the skill is. I'm just doing open skates in full lower and elbow pads, just trying to rehab the back and legs to do what my mind wants them to do, the muscle memory is there just not the reflexes. I've been doing allot of drills, starting stopping, skating circles, one skate pushes, ect, it's been slow going and it's frustrating, has anyone else out there had to rehab through injuries and had to really work at getting the skating legs back?

Add to the problem that I'm 43 years old and the body just doesn't heal as fast as it used too.

Shit, bro. You got a lot of work ahead of you but I can't think of a better reason to do it than to get back what you love. Do it.

Good luck in your future endeavors man. Just don't over extend yourself.

Your 43 - why are you trying to play hockey? Take up something like Yoga or fishing- Broken bones and surgeries = arthritis and being a cripple as you age.

Keep at it bro and good luck. Keep us updated once ur good as new

Your 43 - why are you trying to play hockey? Take up something like Yoga or fishing- Broken bones and surgeries = arthritis and being a cripple as you age.
For one I already fish ;)

I've heard from too many people that when your active and you totally slow down and get out of shape it's really worse than trying to stay active. I'm going to be playing in an over 40 league, no check and it's for fun allows me to play the game I love and playing hockey is great for cardio. And honestly at my age I'm probebly in better shape than 3/4 18-35 year olds, I've always been active and refuse to become a depressed fat fuck who sits around and thinks about the glory years.

awesome man. i got a question. what are the standard skating skills you need for hockey? like i'm guessing you guys don't need to be able to do jumps and shit like figure skaters do, but can you?

For one I already fish ;)

I've heard from too many people that when your active and you totally slow down and get out of shape it's really worse than trying to stay active. I'm going to be playing in an over 40 league, no check and it's for fun allows me to play the game I love and playing hockey is great for cardio. And honestly at my age I'm probebly in better shape than 3/4 18-35 year olds, I've always been active and refuse to become a depressed fat fuck who sits around and thinks about the glory years.

Lol- becoming a depressed fat fuck isn't so bad. Its actually kind of nice not having to prove yourself anymore. Also, its fun telling everyone how great you USED to be, and what could have been- Like uncle Rico. Take it from me- Fishing, and doing yoga in the back of the classroom, watching all the hotties stick their asses in your face. Consider it your payback for being such a badass, back in the day. Yessuh- thats the life for me.

Lol- becoming a depressed fat fuck isn't so bad. Its actually kind of nice not having to prove yourself anymore. Also, its fun telling everyone how great you USED to be, and what could have been- Like uncle Rico. Take it from me- Fishing, and doing yoga in the back of the classroom, watching all the hotties stick their asses in your face. Consider it your payback for being such a badass, back in the day. Yessuh- thats the life for me.
I'll throw in there I've got kids that play hockey, a wife that probably wouldn't let me sniff panties at the gym. Besides I'm about to retire from my first career, will have some extra time and gotta stay busy. Home projects will only get me so far, also I don't want to end up smoking dope everyday playing the PS4 and binge eating my way to 50...lol.

Took my kids to the rink yesterday and my legs were like noodles still from my Friday skate, damn I'm feeling my age. When I was younger, I'd get orders to deploy, go for 6-10 months, come back and skate once and be good to go and start playing pick up hockey again. This shit is really ridiculous, I've been out on the ice three times and I feel like I'm learning all over again. I'm actually looking at taking a few adult hockey skills clinics they offer here in Raleigh at the Garner Ice House to attempt sharpening up my skating. Honestly don't know what else to do, seems like just doing the skating drills isn't doing the trick. Another option maybe going to attend a week long hockey camp in Minnesota this summer. Actually looks enticing, but a $1400 price tags and the though of 5-6 hours of ice time per day might be a little too much for my wallet and body...lol

It will come back. I dislocated my hip playing hockey when I was 23. Was out for over a year. Just repetition. Work on your technique and the speed will come. Lots of cross overs, start and stops. Find your edges again.

awesome man. i got a question. what are the standard skating skills you need for hockey? like i'm guessing you guys don't need to be able to do jumps and shit like figure skaters do, but can you?
Hard to do jumps with out toe picks on your skates. More little hops are used in hockey.

I had a patellar dislocation of my knee playing hockey when I was younger while crashing the net. This was when I was about 18. I didn't skate again until I was about 26, but even then I was still a bit nervous about it, making sure to stretch very, very thoroughly before hitting the ice. Even then, I feel like I was pretty much just as good at skating again than when I was 18. It's a skill you never really lose. I do tend to favor my other leg now because my god did that hurt when it happened.

When I do skate hard now it feels like I got hit by a truck the next day and I haven't played actual hockey in a league since, but I do miss it.

Back