Starsguards Mouth Guard Review (Pictures)

dbowles

White Belt
Reaction score
The Product:
Starsguards custom mouth guards
Model: SuperStar (Pro-MMA) $130.

DSC00046.jpg

Silver base, Purple text, "Bowles".

The Service:
I can only echo what has been said on this forum already. The customer service is amazing. I had some trouble with the molds, I was cycling between two different addresses, the dog got a hold of one, etc, etc, but every time Jeff was kind enough to send a new kit out. Great service. After receiving the guard I noticed that the left side incisor,
canine and 1st premolar were kind of meshed together. making it hard to
distinguish between them in the guard. I e-mailed Jeff, and he assured me that it would have no effect whatsoever of the longevity or performance of the guard. A++ service.

DSC00047.jpg

The Fit:

I can only compare the fit to my shock doctor, and it is worlds better. This thing fits like a glove and I have had no issues with it falling out while rolling/sparring . Starsguards fit vs. Boil n' Bite, Starsguards wins hands down by a landslide. Starsguards fit vs. Other custom mouth guards, I don't know as this is my first custom mouth guard. I hope to compare Starsguards to another custom guard company in the near future.

DSC00048.jpg

The Conclusion:
Overall this is a great product. The only downside was that there seemed to be a lot of delays and comparing the time it took others to get their guard to mine, it seemed liked mine took a little bit longer. I sent my mold Monday March 24th, and received the guard on May 2nd. Other than that the product is great, and I would still recommend anyone to Jeff who is looking for a custom guard.
Hopefully in the near future I will get another guard from somewhere else and be able to give a side by side comparison of starsguards and another custom guard company.

This Product receives a 9 out of 10.

How does the piece fit on your teeth? Is there any gap that allows you to inhale/exhale through while clenching your teeth?

How does the piece fit on your teeth? Is there any gap that allows you to inhale/exhale through while clenching your teeth?

It fits to my teeth like its glued on. Breathing through my mouth while having it in and jaw clinched is pretty hard. There are no gaps, so the amount of air in/out is extremely limited.

One thing that always intrests me when people buy a custom with Graphics is what they were thinking when they came up with the color choice, design ect. I would guess you used your last name on the front why the color choice and did you consider any other designs?

Also why did you go custom in the first place?

One thing that always intrests me when people buy a custom with Graphics is what they were thinking when they came up with the color choice, design ect. I would guess you used your last name on the front why the color choice and did you consider any other designs?

Also why did you go custom in the first place?

Yeah Bowles is my last name. The color scheme is representive of my college, Kansas State University. I told jeff that I wanted either an orange guard with black or white text, or something with purple. He suggested a silver base with purple text, and i said ok.

As far as going for a custom guard, I hated my shock doctor. And I don't like having the same thing that everyone else has.

The color scheme is representive of my college, Kansas State University.

I'm surprised you go to K-State and ordered a full mouth guard, I thought people at K-State only had a couple teeth? :icon_twis Sorry man, I went to KU, so I just had to do it! :redface:

It fits to my teeth like its glued on. Breathing through my mouth while having it in and jaw clinched is pretty hard. There are no gaps, so the amount of air in/out is extremely limited.

Thank you for the response. Sometimes, people with custom singles claim that customs sit tight on their teeth in a manner that also facilitates air movement while clenched, something which no non-custom singles provide. This is largely the counterpoint for double fans, especially strikers.

I'm surprised you go to K-State and ordered a full mouth guard, I thought people at K-State only had a couple teeth? :icon_twis Sorry man, I went to KU, so I just had to do it! :redface:

Hahaha, actually some of us do have teeth, but only a few :p

Thank you for the response. Sometimes, people with custom singles claim that customs sit tight on their teeth in a manner that also facilitates air movement while clenched, something which no non-custom singles provide. This is largely the counterpoint for double fans, especially strikers.

No problem

you just have to get used to it being in your mouth while training. training with one and without one is totally different. sometimes its like your cardio has to start all over to get used to the air flow threw the mouthguard. but it gets better.

you just have to get used to it being in your mouth while training. training with one and without one is totally different. sometimes its like your cardio has to start all over to get used to the air flow threw the mouthguard. but it gets better.

Update: I've been training with it in a lot, and it is actually a lot easier to breath with my jaw clenched now. Not quite as easy as breathing without it in but the difference is not very noticeable.

Also I have contacted Scott at customguards, and should have a guard from him within the next week or so.

Back