• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

STAR WARS: EPISODE IX (Rumored Title: BALANCE OF THE FORCE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? you're calling me out for being confused when you say you are talking about Disney putting out a movie every year... but yet you did not even mention that in the post I responded to.

You claimed to be talking about something you didn't mention. Your own argument is the confusion... not my comprehension ability. Are we trying to get silly with this convo or are we actually trying to discuss things?

No, clearly you ARE confused. Read post #134 in this thread.

It's the very first line of the first post I made in this thread.

Yearly Star Wars is bullshit.

Just like Marvel cramming superheroes down our throats.

Between Netflix and the movies, I have major fucking superhero burnout. I could easily go 5 years without a Marvel movie. Maybe more.

But then, I'm old. I remember life before the internet created a generation with an insatiable need for infinite amount of content to devour through.

I also remember CD's. And guess what? Lars was right!

In TFA especially you have some reasonably effective setup for Rey and Finn very early in the film but then this ends up being dumped much too quickly, he becomes cheap comic relief and she becomes a blander version of Luke with no real motivation beyond the threat of Kylo.
No. The story suffers from pacing issues which left most of us wanting a bit more character development, but Rey is compelling and not that much like Luke.

Luke was a petulant kid, raised by a loving family, over confident, restless and looking for adventure. Rey was an orphan, forced into self-reliance from an early age, fighting for survival every day. While Luke was cruising through life on the farm and daydreaming about something more, Rey had to be disciplined and self reliant just to survive. They shared a sense of duty and honor, a powerful affinity for the force, and some abandonment issues, that's about it.

I thought she progressed ok throughout the story. It was mostly about her discovering things about herself, but again, it is the first act.

Finn's role, once the movie settled in, was mostly comic relief and that's ok. He had his moments. They can dig more into Finn in later episodes. He still added a lot to the movie by giving us an inside glimpse of the modern storm troopers.

I just watched it again and, yeah, Driver kills it. No matter what anyone thinks about the Kylo Ren character, he gives far and away the best performance in the movie. He's a damn good actor.

No. The story suffers from pacing issues which left most of us wanting a bit more character development, but Rey is compelling and not that much like Luke.

Luke was a petulant kid, raised by a loving family, over confident, restless and looking for adventure. Rey was an orphan, forced into self-reliance from an early age, fighting for survival every day. While Luke was cruising through life on the farm and daydreaming about something more, Rey had to be disciplined and self reliant just to survive. They shared a sense of duty and honor, a powerful affinity for the force, and some abandonment issues, that's about it.

I thought she progressed ok throughout the story. It was mostly about her discovering things about herself, but again, it is the first act.

Finn's role, once the movie settled in, was mostly comic relief and that's ok. He had his moments. They can dig more into Finn in later episodes. He still added a lot to the movie by giving us an inside glimpse of the modern storm troopers.

Rey's initial setup is obviously rather different to Luke's but as the film progressed that background didn't seem to inform her story much did it? her story became about accepting(not learning though) the force yet really this depended on our nostalgia for Luke doing the same to have much depth to it. Rey herself hadn't been setup to care about the force the way Luke was and there was no meaningful decision there, it was just developing abilities as needed to defeat the badguy chasing her.

I wouldn't say that Finn being mostly comic relief was ok in a film with much ambition, that's a pretty limited character role for a co lead. The problem I suspect was that his being a storm trooper was added late in the scripting but Abrams and co couldn't be bothered to alter the rest of the script to make it have much effect.

I do agree with you though Driver was definitely the strongest of the new leads, he did a good job with what he was given "he was weak and foolish like his father so I destroyed him" was probably the best delivered line of the film.

Last edited:

21743660_1511966552175935_6450153831090910605_o.jpg

Last edited:
Dangit. This is the worst news ever. Now I guess we're just going to get a ripoff of return of the Jedi, but with bigger... ewoks, i guess.

Nope, we have more that thing he is a good character.. maybe not great by any means but he isn't exactly bad either.

But overall I do feel sherdog isn't down with Ep 7.

PS: I do enjoy Rey, a lot.. I will log off now. :D

tumblr_nzzjtsyLEd1v2u38fo1_250.gif
Rey is awesome! Watch the outrage when she takes the Falcon and does the Kessel run in 11 parsecs

No, clearly you ARE confused. Read post #134 in this thread.

It's the very first line of the first post I made in this thread.

Yearly Star Wars is bullshit.

Just like Marvel cramming superheroes down our throats.

Between Netflix and the movies, I have major fucking superhero burnout. I could easily go 5 years without a Marvel movie. Maybe more.

But then, I'm old. I remember life before the internet created a generation with an insatiable need for infinite amount of content to devour through.

I also remember CD's. And guess what? Lars was right!

You realize you can go as long as you want without watching superhero flicks or Star Wars movies, right?

I understand not liking things. It's weird that you let the mere existence of something bother you so much. I don't like sports and don't watch them. It's easy. Just like I said earlier I don't like transformers movies. Amazingly, they occupy none of my time. Its the same thing with reality shows and lots of other tv. It's really, really easy to not watch things I don't enjoy and I don't feel like another season of "Dancing Bachelor Island Idol Got Talent" or whatever the fuck it is is being "crammed down my throat".

Rey is awesome! Watch the outrage when she takes the Falcon and does the Kessel run in 11 parsecs

Yes she is! Watch the outrage when she trains Luke to get back in shape and defeat Snoke and Kylo.

ardgG_s-200x150.gif

what's funny is they are like hey you going to get star wars earlier in the year only 2 have it pushed back until December

Ha, so a petition is circulating asking Disney to fire JJ now

He argues that Lucasfilm and Disney promised a new director for every film “to promote a fresh new vision on every instalment”, adding: “Therefore, to prevent Star Wars Episode IX from becoming yet another rip off of the original trilogy (specifically, a rip off of Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi), and for the good of the Star Wars brand, we demand that Kathleen Kennedy replace J.J. Abrams as director of the upcoming Episode 9 film.” Lucasfilm has yet to issue a response on the petition.
Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/film/petiti...r-wars-episode-ix-2142301#br0alf8r7wgGfGGL.99

http://www.nme.com/news/film/petition-j-j-abrams-fire-director-star-wars-episode-ix-2142301

The main difference between Rey and Luke is that Luke had to work hard to become a hero, while Rey benefits from ridiculous levels of Feminist Plot Armour. Compare their respective arcs in A New Hope/Force Awakens.

- Luke gets KTFO by a Tuskin Raider and has to be rescued by Obi Wan.

- Obi Wan again saves him from getting curb-stomped in the bar.

- Luke rescues Leia but fails to save Obi Wan(although Obi Wan at that point was pretty much ready to join with the Force anyway)

- Luke finally gets his big Hero Moment when he blows up the Death Star. But he only manages this because Han fucking Solo runs interferance. If Solo doesn't hit Vader's ship, it doesn't matter how strong Luke is in the Force. He's dead and the Rebellion fails there and then.

Now look at Rey in FA

- Kicks the shit out of two aliens who try to snatch BB8.

- Kicks Finn's ass, even though he's been trained since childhood by the First Order(alright his MOS is Janitor, but he's still a trained soldier).

- Flies the Millinium Falcon, a ship she'd never even been on before, so well that First Order TIE Fighter pilots can't bring it down.

- Speaks Wookie.

- Drops the door at just the right time to cut the tentacles and save Finn.

- Manages to resist Ren's mind probe.

- Uses a Jedi Mind trick to make Stormtrooper 007 set her free.

- Curb stomps Ren. Yes, he was wounded, but she has zero training in the Force.

Rey is the ultimate Mary Sue. There's very little tension after you've seen her effortlessly win and escape time after time. I'm calling it right now: in Last Jedi, Rey will be even more overpowered thanks to Luke's training. She will curb-stomp the Knights of Ren, while Luke faces off against Kylo and goes Full Obi Wan.

The main difference between Rey and Luke is that Luke had to work hard to become a hero, while Rey benefits from ridiculous levels of Feminist Plot Armour. Compare their respective arcs in A New Hope/Force Awakens.

- Luke gets KTFO by a Tuskin Raider and has to be rescued by Obi Wan.

- Obi Wan again saves him from getting curb-stomped in the bar.

- Luke rescues Leia but fails to save Obi Wan(although Obi Wan at that point was pretty much ready to join with the Force anyway)

- Luke finally gets his big Hero Moment when he blows up the Death Star. But he only manages this because Han fucking Solo runs interferance. If Solo doesn't hit Vader's ship, it doesn't matter how strong Luke is in the Force. He's dead and the Rebellion fails there and then.

Now look at Rey in FA

- Kicks the shit out of two aliens who try to snatch BB8.

- Kicks Finn's ass, even though he's been trained since childhood by the First Order(alright his MOS is Janitor, but he's still a trained soldier).

- Flies the Millinium Falcon, a ship she'd never even been on before, so well that First Order TIE Fighter pilots can't bring it down.

- Speaks Wookie.

- Drops the door at just the right time to cut the tentacles and save Finn.

- Manages to resist Ren's mind probe.

- Uses a Jedi Mind trick to make Stormtrooper 007 set her free.

- Curb stomps Ren. Yes, he was wounded, but she has zero training in the Force.

Rey is the ultimate Mary Sue. There's very little tension after you've seen her effortlessly win and escape time after time. I'm calling it right now: in Last Jedi, Rey will be even more overpowered thanks to Luke's training. She will curb-stomp the Knights of Ren, while Luke faces off against Kylo and goes Full Obi Wan.
Luke was a farmer living in his aunt and uncle's basement, for crissakes. Of course he didn't know how to fight. And he was an overconfident, emotional kid. The Skywalker clan is lousy with male head cases. Luke is Ren's uncle, so it makes sense then that Ren is struggling with emotional issues and inconsistencies that affect his abilities early in life. Ren is more similar to Luke than he is to Rey.

And Rey didn't defeat Ren. She surprised him and then the fight was broken up, he might have gotten serious and put a beating on her like Floyd/Conor. She's been fighting her whole life, on her own, with zero help. She's mentally strong with a massive affinity for the force. Ren shouldn't have taken her so lightly after he just got blasted in the gut and killed his own dad. He won't make that mistake again.
We also don't know Rey's lineage yet.

Luke was a farmer living in his aunt and uncle's basement, for crissakes. Of course he didn't know how to fight. And he was an overconfident, emotional kid. The Skywalker clan is lousy with male head cases. Luke is Ren's uncle, so it makes sense then that Ren is struggling with emotional issues and inconsistencies that affect his abilities early in life. Ren is more similar to Luke than he is to Rey.

And Rey didn't defeat Ren. She surprised him and then the fight was broken up, he might have gotten serious and put a beating on her like Floyd/Conor. She's been fighting her whole life, on her own, with zero help. She's mentally strong with a massive affinity for the force. Ren shouldn't have taken her so lightly after he just got blasted in the gut and killed his own dad. He won't make that mistake again.
We also don't know Rey's lineage yet.

He'd better not. Or I'm done with this marriage.

A Hero is only as strong as their Big Bad. Star Wars would have been nothing without Vader and Palpatine. Time for Ren to step up his game. If he doesn't beat Rey like a Russian housewife, there's no point in watching Star Wars IX.

He'd better not. Or I'm done with this marriage.

A Hero is only as strong as their Big Bad. Star Wars would have been nothing without Vader and Palpatine. Time for Ren to step up his game. If he doesn't beat Rey like a Russian housewife, there's no point in watching Star Wars IX.
Man I am hoping for a dark turn. I know I won't get it, but her being the offspring of someone like palpatine or plageous and being stuffed onto Jakku at age 5 by Snoke is just too tempting. I'm hoping she flips, kills Ren, and becomes Snoke's apprentice. Maybe Finn is the son of Leigha and Lando (All that time together with freaking Billy Dee while Han was frozen, and nothing happened? C'mon.) and ends up taking her down.

I'm sure she'll end up being a Jinn or a Kenobi, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back