Staph stopping me training for months

Butler

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Sorry to be that guy but I'm getting pretty desperate.

I've had staph in one form or another for 2-3 months now. I've only been training BJJ since January.

I have two notable patches of it: one on my forearm and one on my chest. Both are unsightly and, more importantly, stopping me from training. I absolutely love BJJ but this side of it is making me sick. This shit is just so hard to get rid of.

So far I've been prescribed one low end antibiotic twice (two courses) then, when that didn't work, a stronger antibiotic (I'll try update the post with the name of it later). I've also been given some Betnavate (Lotrisone in the US), which is basically Betamethasone.

This is either not working or working VERY slowly. I saw my doctor again today and he said he can't do anything unless this latest antibiotic is seen as ineffective after three months.

My question: I've been desperate enough to be using the antiseptic Savlon twice a day in an effort to help clear it up, but understand I may be doing myself more harm than good by killing the good flora on my skin and/or helping the infection build resistance.

What should I be washing with on a day to day basis?

feel ya bro . . . never had staph but i know skin diseases are a bitch and a huge mental strain. about a year and a half ago i got molloscum contagiosum. it was contagious but a relatively benign (although unsightly) problem. it was really hard on my psychologically.

i would say get a second opinion from another doctor if you don't like what you're hearing from your first doctor. the doctors are the experts, not forum members. i know that's not what you wanted to hear but i think it's the smarter option.

Get some iodine/betadine. I use it all the time for cuts/scrapes as prevention and even if I do get staph, it goes away fairly quickly.

I second the second opinion. Doctors are often taking educated guesses (they are educated so their guesses are better than most others) but they are not always correct.

Feel ya bro, not training sucks. Lotta people in your gym get staph?

I second the second opinion. Doctors are often taking educated guesses (they are educated so their guesses are better than most others) but they are not always correct.

They probably don't realize that getting back to training is our goal, not playing around with the infection to try to kill it using weakest medication possible. Nuke the infection and get me back out there.

There was a study that just came out that says cranberry juice might help prevent it..

Cranberry Juice May Help Prevent Staph | Submission Control

Course it was a small study and was preliminary, but if you its that much of a problem, and you said yourself your getting desperate.. I'm sure you'll try anything that might help at this point!

I've never had staph but after twelve years of judo I came down with a case of ringworm. I had to take time off to let it heal and it took about four weeks. In your case that isn't much, good luck with your recovery.

Get some iodine/betadine. I use it all the time for cuts/scrapes as prevention and even if I do get staph, it goes away fairly quickly.

Thanks for the idea. I'll give this a whirl on the patch on my arm.

And that cranberry juice study is interesting if nothing else.

Feel ya bro, not training sucks. Lotta people in your gym get staph?

I'm really not sure. I can't say I've ever noticed anyone else with it.

But someone had to give it me (someone who is above-averagely clean, and has never had any skin infection / infected wounds in their life).

When I do (hopefully) go back to training, I'll probably wear a long sleeve rash under my gi etc.

Shoot defense soap a message - he's got experience fighting this stuff and might have some good advice for you.

???

Months of Staph? Go to the doctor get the meds you need and it goes away. There are so many people that misdiagnose things like contact dermitits(skin irritation) as staph and freak out. If you had months of staph you'd be dead by now.

Wash properly, take the meds, you should be fine. Staph should go away fairly quickly even with a daily does of something as simple as peroxide.

Back