Standing Wristlock - Hit One This Past Weekend At A Tourny

BJJ NINJA

Turtle Power
@Brown
Reaction score
Check it out, I was pretty happy with it. Wristlocks are one of my go to moves, but I've never actually pulled one off in a tournament, so it was pretty cool to do.

For you new practitioners, try it out, play around with them, they'll make you that much more dangerous when it comes to submissions. Thanks for watching.

Looks like that Jacare lock, LOL!

Obviously U r training and hitting them full resistance, but that's the bread and butter of Daito Ryu Jujitsu.

Nice to see it working for real!

Nice sub. I just wish it wasn't a vertical video. Please tell the person to hold the phone sideways next time.

I have no idea what happened in either video. Can someone post an instructional vid for this wristlock? Or tell me a name to search for?

I have no idea what happened in either video. Can someone post an instructional vid for this wristlock? Or tell me a name to search for?
Probably a Nikku wrist lock against the body.

Most of the fluffy stuff try to claim it works without that body contact in there instructionals...Don't fall for it!

It needs to be trapped against the body to block escapes!

The hand is palm down, with the top of the hand against the body. You pull back on the elbow to put pressure in the folded wrist. If you get it tight enough in the nook between your collar bone, Pex and Deltoid the wrist and hand get trapped.

That's the way I understand it and from experience it hurts like hell and will break your wrist if put on quickly.

One of my instructors at an old gym used to to hit this a lot. He's about 6-2 and his height seemed to help.

Check it out, I was pretty happy with it. Wristlocks are one of my go to moves, but I've never actually pulled one off in a tournament, so it was pretty cool to do.

For you new practitioners, try it out, play around with them, they'll make you that much more dangerous when it comes to submissions. Thanks for watching.

Any breakdown?

Here is an instructional from Jacare

Dammit he doesn't show what in the wrist is getting torqued. I see that his opponent doesn't let his grip go, but is he torquing the top of his wrist like I thought before I saw that instructional or the side near his pinky? He must be bending it back, knuckles to forarm, without Jacare showing how he torques it, it's impossible to see!

Thnxs for posting that!

Any breakdown?

Sure. It's something you're gonna hit when your opponent grabs a same side collar grip on you. The perfect spot will be them grabbing right below your collar bone.

Once they grab the collar, you have to get their arm to bend at about a 90 degree angle, which will happen naturally in a lot of circumstances. But you can force it by pulling down on the forearm. Then to keep it there, you use both hands and grab the back of the tricep, lean your head forward, and start pulling their fist right into your chest.

Their fist will get lodged right into your chest, as you pull on the tricep you can kind of twist and lean your chest muscle right into the fist. The more you pull, eventually the wrist will buckle. Usually the wrist will buckle back, kinda how your wrist folds in a push up position. But it doesn't matter which way it goes cause it'll hurt either way ha.

Once it buckles, pull hard but cautiously, because the tap will come soon after.

I dropped to my knees so I can pull harder and trap him better. He tried to go to my back and ended up falling over, so gravity made me come down harder on his wrist than I wanted. So he got a little hurt, but he was ok.

Train them with caution and take care of your teammates while doing so, but they are great!

Very nice wrist lock!

It doesn't look like you hurt him - I think you used control - but I think I should point out to all the people who've just watched this video and are going to try it on their training partners at full force that YOU CAN REALLY F*** UP SOMEONE'S WRIST VERY QUICKLY WITH THIS LOCK.

Wrist locks are no joke. And the bones are so small that it's very easy to sprain, strain or break something. I've had multiple training partners struggle with wrist injuries coming from wrist locks and it's taken years (yes, years) for them to get back to full strength.

So do this slowly and carefully, even if that means that your opponent or training partner escapes the attack!

I second Stephan. In my opinion, you should develop the wristlock just like you develop the heel hook. With some controlling catch-and-release first, then with application of slowly applied pressure to get taps once you know you're in control of the arm. Again, in my opinion, a person should be in pretty good command of goose-neck style wristlocks before doing the Jacare-style lock, just so you have a good understanding of the force required, or lack thereof, to be more precise.

Back