Standing heavy bag vs standard

Mannin

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I just signed up for Muay Tai. I'm pumped. Don't plan on competing but just overall to be in better shape, more disciplined and to help me with other sports. I've learned some basics, but while not at class (twice a week), I want to get better at home. I live in a townhome so a hanging a standard heavy bag isn't ideal, but I will find a way if I really have to.

I purchased this about a month ago but can still return in. http://www.amazon.com/Everlast-Omniflex-Standing-Heavy-Black/dp/B008RI1B14 - It was cheap, and a easy alternative. I can adjust the height and I guess at the time I thought it was nice for stamina and dodging it on the way back. The more I read, the more people seem to think these aren't a good idea. I could get a Muay Tai bag but I'll have to pay a bit more.

I'm sure this has been asked 100's of times on here but from people with experience, is getting a Muay Tai bag THAT much better for training? I'd like to hear your comments. Thanks again fellow fighters!

Without going into too much detail that you could find yourself using the search function, a standing bag is really only appropriate for very light work, as anything more will cause it to be unstable and shift around/fall over, and they can't absorb shock very well either.

Having written that out, I don't know why you'd really want to do only very light work on a bag when you could just shadowbox. So, a standing bag really isn't that good for anything, except maybe in a few very specific applications.

Without going into too much detail that you could find yourself using the search function, a standing bag is really only appropriate for very light work, as anything more will cause it to be unstable and shift around/fall over, and they can't absorb shock very well either.

Having written that out, I don't know why you'd really want to do only very light work on a bag when you could just shadowbox. So, a standing bag really isn't that good for anything, except maybe in a few very specific applications.

Well I was a little in-experienced (still am) and just went with an easy, cheap option. I was going to rig something with the bottom part and add padding to kick but it will just be too chincy. I just took a look in my garage and I think I can find a spot. I'm going to get rid of the fridge and I'll throw it there. Otherwise it's hard with a Truck and Bike in there. Thanks for the input, appreciate it.

by the way, any recommendations on a good Muay Tai bag? 100 or 150lbs? I'm 5'10 170 - age 34.. decent shape but still a beginner.

I'll search the forums too. Thanks again

Last edited:
You can buy a stand like this if you don't have a beam or anything else to hang it on.
http://www.hayneedle.com/product/ce...i_sku=UFC112&gclid=CL29g9bpz74CFZJefgodWCsAow

There are better stands than that, of course. I'm on my iPhone though, so I just copied the first one off Google for you so you'd get an idea.

Definitely go with a hanging bag and a stand. Those stands are very ideal for someone that just lives in an apartment, or even a townhome like yourself.

You can buy a stand like this if you don't have a beam or anything else to hang it on.
http://www.hayneedle.com/product/ce...i_sku=UFC112&gclid=CL29g9bpz74CFZJefgodWCsAow

There are better stands than that, of course. I'm on my iPhone though, so I just copied the first one off Google for you so you'd get an idea.

Definitely go with a hanging bag and a stand. Those stands are very ideal for someone that just lives in an apartment, or even a townhome like yourself.

I'll be able to hang it in my garage with a Wood Beam Hanger I think. And I don't really like the stands. I'd rather be able to move all around the bag and not be a noob and miss the bag and hit the bar lol.

Im here....a little late....lol.

Yes this bag is badass hands down!!!! And the Amazon deal cannot be beat!!! The best part is it still has the option of picking your colors.

Im here....a little late....lol.

Yes this bag is badass hands down!!!! And the Amazon deal cannot be beat!!! The best part is it still has the option of picking your colors.

Thanks bro.. I ordered it today. Wouldn't of known without you guys so I appreciate it!

I just signed up for Muay Tai. I'm pumped. Don't plan on competing but just overall to be in better shape, more disciplined and to help me with other sports. I've learned some basics, but while not at class (twice a week), I want to get better at home. I live in a townhome so a hanging a standard heavy bag isn't ideal, but I will find a way if I really have to.

I purchased this about a month ago but can still return in. http://www.amazon.com/Everlast-Omniflex-Standing-Heavy-Black/dp/B008RI1B14 - It was cheap, and a easy alternative. I can adjust the height and I guess at the time I thought it was nice for stamina and dodging it on the way back. The more I read, the more people seem to think these aren't a good idea. I could get a Muay Tai bag but I'll have to pay a bit more.

I'm sure this has been asked 100's of times on here but from people with experience, is getting a Muay Tai bag THAT much better for training? I'd like to hear your comments. Thanks again fellow fighters!

I can honestly say that I have hit almost every single free-standing punching bag on the market*. The only good one is Fairtex's Pole Bags with an actually mental rod, drilled into the ground.

If you must get one, and cannot drill into the ground, I would recommend getting Century's wave master XXL.

*Wavemaster's (class/boxing/powerline/TKD,XXL, Bob XL, Bob), Ringsides/Title spring heavy bag, TKD bounce back bags, Everlast (with the plastic spring, with the square base, with the round base), fairtex freestanding bag, and this weird one from the late 90's endorsed by sylvester stallone.

A good way to try out freestanding bags is to call around to chain gyms (24, baileys....) and ask what punching bags they have.

Back