Standard pass from closed guard

georgwilhelm**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You know, the standing one, where you grab a sleeve, put a foot up, stand up, change the sleeve to your other hand and start to push down the knee...
Often I won't manage to push down the knee for some reason, don't know why. I keep my legs quite close and shake my hip while I push downward.

Is there any trick to open the guard when standing?

Or any other high percentage guard pass?

Probably bad posture is your problem. Or an unsteady base. Practice will help both. And that is by no means the standard way to break the closed guard. It's a valid way, and a popular one, but there are many.

How would posture affect that, I'm already standing? Should I grab to my butt in order to break his ankles open?

There should be some kind of video requirement for questions like this.

It's not easy to know what you're doing wrong from: "It doesn't work for me" basically.

Things that might help other than what have been mentioned.

#1: Patience

#2: Don't PUSH, just get your arm as straight as you can with your hand on his knee and use it as a brace. For every shake if your hips, you keep bracing the leg further down, you do not want it to come back up.

#3: Turn your hips ever so lightly by taking a step back while you get his knee down. (With your foot that's on the same side as the leg you're "pushing".

That's the easiest things to take care of off the top of my head.

Last edited:
How would posture affect that, I'm already standing? Should I grab to my butt in order to break his ankles open?

Posture is still a big deal. If you're bent over while standing your're far more vulnerable to being swept/submitted. I've triangled somebody who stood in my guard because I was able to control their posture.

Get that spine aligned, head up, etc.

In order to get the break, you're trying to create space between your hips and their hips. Don't let them climb up you with their legs.

Back