Sprawl Gripflex Shorts Question????

Lay&Pray

youtube.com/fightscene
@purple
Reaction score
Does the material on the inseam that is supposed to help lock in submissions and such really work well?

As in is it 'grippy'?

Also how effective do you think this would be in an actual grappling situation?

It is definatly "grippy" and will hold a nice lock (that is assuming you are using your inner thigh). As far as it being effective in a situation, as long as you have the strips making contact with the other guys skin, it will help. This is just from my experience and I have not used it alot yet (Alltogether these are great shorts too).

Yeah, it's grippy alright. It'll help against the "sweat escape" and its extra grip will help hold a limb in place while working for a sub. As people have said though, it won't replace bad technique, but it will help in those odd situations and prevent sliding out of locks more frequently compared to standard shorts.

That said, some people will notice it more than others, and with new products like this only time will dictate wheter it becomes the standard or just a passing fad. Check out the uber-lengthy Gripflex thread for a few various opinions.

I have to add that these are great shorts even without taking the grip panels into account. The material of the new Sprawls has been improved, and I would've still bought them even if they hadn't had the new grip panel tech. I admit that it was curiosity that made me make the purchase initially, but I would buy another pair of these shorts regardless of the grip panels, which are more like a plus to me to go with the quality of the shorts.

The technique that I have had the most noticeable difference is the oma-plata. The sticky stuff helps a bit with the guys who just normally muscle and sweatify their way out.

I can't believe athletic commissions allowed fighters to use these shorts for fights. The grip feels like what they used to use on football gloves.

just to add- I saw a LOT of folks wearing these at the NAGAs at the Arnold's a couple of weekends ago in Ohio. Not to mention the UFC that same weekend. So they seem to be kosher for competition, in spite of some doubts aired out here.

just to add- I saw a LOT of folks wearing these at the NAGAs at the Arnold's a couple of weekends ago in Ohio. Not to mention the UFC that same weekend. So they seem to be kosher for competition, in spite of some doubts aired out here.

+1

I will be using this for the tournament i entered this weekend

Anyone train standup with them? Do they get caught while moving around at all?

Anyone train standup with them? Do they get caught while moving around at all?

I use them for Muay Thai. No problems, they don't stick against each other, so you don't notice them at all in standup. I can throw knees and kicks totally unrestricted.

I use them for Muay Thai. No problems, they don't stick against each other, so you don't notice them at all in standup. I can throw knees and kicks totally unrestricted.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to ordering a pair.

I catch footballs with my thighs btw. These are perfect.

lol @ catching footballs with your thighs. Hopefully you never drop a pass! Yeesh

I was actually looking at ordering a new pair of shorts, so I'll probably definently have to check these ones out.

Back