SPRAWL gis?

Terrier

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Since Sprwal now have a hand in the G&E section I thought i'd bring up something i've been wondering about for a while, Will Sprawl get into the Gi/Kimono market in the future?

I'd be very interested to see what they could bring to the table.

HmmmMmmMm. you talking like standard gi's? ala HCK style (who make gi's and fight shorts). or something sprawl-esque with like maybe gi-pants with stretch panels lol...

I don't know how big the market is for another gi-company, I mean, competition with Atama, Mizuno, HCK, Gameness.... thats alot of gi making companies to compete with.

Though i'm sure we'll hear Sprawl's oppinion when they see this thread. Should be interesting.

~Foz

There are a lot more board short companys than there are Kimonos, plus when you have a name as hot as Sprawl is at the moment people are guarenteed to take notcie when they're looking new gear.

As for the design? - I don't really know how much more can be done with the kimono that hasn't already been done (although i'm wathing ground force with interest), I imagine just a gold weave with a small sprawl logo on each seleve - one down the lapel and one on the top of the back (like the patch on the back of the Koral MKMs) and maybe a SPRAWL trim on the pants legs, cuffs and bottom of the Gi top. - but i'm no gi designer.

I'll be interested in what Steve says too

more fight short companies compared to gi companies? maybe.

more ESTABLISHED fight short companies as apposed to ESTABLISHED gi companies. nope.

:p

~Foz

Underhook's gis will come with two pairs of pants (one standard and one with stretch panels). Ground Force is making their gis with Hemp. Their are still some new ideas out there and Underhook and Ground Force is taking the game up a notch.

www.SSFgear.com

Fozzy said:
more fight short companies compared to gi companies? maybe.

more ESTABLISHED fight short companies as apposed to ESTABLISHED gi companies. nope.

:p

~Foz

Note I said board short - i'm not even limiting this to fight shorts, plenty of guys will still pick a pair of O'neils over a pair of Tapouts

Board shorts are still competition for sprawl - so for that reason I disagree with you on your point that there are more established Kimono companys

The guy who owns Sprawl used to own Valhalla Kimonos. If there was money selling gis I'm sure he'd still be doing that. Now with the internet and all it's just to cheap to get them from Brazil.

Eric O said:
The guy who owns Sprawl used to own Valhalla Kimonos. If there was money selling gis I'm sure he'd still be doing that. Now with the internet and all it's just to cheap to get them from Brazil.

Didn't know that about Valhalla, learn something new every day, and you may well be right that if he's not doing it now he probabaly doesn't plan to (shame). However not all major brads of kimonos are Brazil based - ever heard of Gameness?

You can get gis manufactured in Pakistan for around $15.00, not including shipping costs. Someone should do a low-cost alternative for us cheap bastards.

PK will make gis for cheap but they require a large min order. We are working on a gi that will retail for around $85 and will be gold weave. Sirius is doing the same kind of deal with their gis.

I have talked to Brazil, PK, India and China and they are all in the same ball park in pricing and min orders.

www.SSFgear.com

Terrier said:
Note I said board short - i'm not even limiting this to fight shorts, plenty of guys will still pick a pair of O'neils over a pair of Tapouts

Board shorts are still competition for sprawl - so for that reason I disagree with you on your point that there are more established Kimono companys

my bad, its 2am here.... *yawn* good point

ps: SSF where is my pink gi pictures man!

~Sleepy Foz

SSF said:
PK will make gis for cheap but they require a large min order. We are working on a gi that will retail for around $85 and will be gold weave. Sirius is doing the same kind of deal with their gis.

I have talked to Brazil, PK, India and China and they are all in the same ball park in pricing and min orders.

www.SSFgear.com

What sort of time frame for those Gis of yours?

Jan of Feb time frame. I just keep finding things I want changed as we go along. I want to release as close to a perfect gi as I can.

www.SSFgear.com

A gold weave gi for $85 sounds good to me. I'll probably pick one up if I like the design (I sold both my Krugan's, only have a Mizuno one right now).

i've never understood the difference between:

a) single weave
b) double weave
c) gold weave

so if someone wants to break that down for me that'd be good, *im a gi gnub, only ever had 1 gi*

~Foz

Fozzy I'll have your pink gi made when the design is final and they go into production. That's going to be a lot of pink dude.

www.SSFgear.com

Basically

Single is a traditional Gi weave, it's light but not the strongest

Double is basically double the weave of a single - very stong but also very heavy.

Gold is a different weave all together which is supposed to be almost as light as a single but as strong as a double.

That's about as basic as I can make it.

Terrier said:
Basically

Single is a traditional Gi weave, it's light but not the strongest

Double is basically double the weave of a single - very stong but also very heavy.

Gold is a different weave all together which is supposed to be almost as light as a single but as strong as a double.

That's about as basic as I can make it.

That's a nice short shory of what can be a long one Terrier. I think it's a cool idea, so many people sport SPRAWL at tournaments where their are both Gi and No-Gi classes. I would definitally be intrested in a SPRAWL Gi.

Your right on Terrier. Single has been the norm for years but in the last few years has gone out of favor for the gold weave. I like the double but most people don't like the weight.

www.SSFgear.com

Back