Sprawl FlexFighter 06 vs 05 comparative review.

perfy

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
There are several revisions in design between the 05 and 06 models of sprawl shorts. Do these changes warrant purchase of the new model? Herein I'll describe the various revisions and how they affect various aspects of mma from stand-up, takedown defense, guard work, etc.

Design Revisions

The first and most apparent difference between the two models is the inclusion of an elastic waistband in the 06 model. It allows for more of a custom fit. My waist is around 31 inches and in the 05 model the 32 is a bit snug so a 34 required. I also tend to wear my shorts closer if not right above the hips. With the 06 design the 32 fit perfectly while the 34 are a tad loose.

The second design change involves the drawstring. The 06 does away with the metal loop design and follows other board short designs of a drawstring in the waistband. Unlike other manufacturers the drawstrings are only a few inches apart as opposed to 6-8" in others. This keeps them from bunching for lack of a better term. If I had a better camera and lighting conditions I could better illustrate the condition. The 05 and 06 drawstring designs are both sufficient so I can't give an edge ot either one.

The thrid major difference is that the 06 is baggier than the 05 model. There is more room in the legs and hips. Wearing a cup is no longer a problem. Even with the 34 in the 05 the cup would cause the shorts to be restrictive through the hips thus limiting range of motion. The 06 model has more room and coupled with the elastic band even the 32 while wearing a cup isn't restrictive.

Footwork.
While wearing a cup with the 05 model the shorts had a tendancy to be tight in the hips thus hindering circling and footwork even with the XTs though to a lesser degree. The 05 had a tendancy to ride up when circling, kicking or sprawling whereas with the 06 this isn't an issue. Throwing leg or body kicks wasn't much of an issue but high kicks were a different story. Because of the way I wore my shorts, so low to the hips, and the inclusion of a cup it was impossible to throw high kicks like a roundhouse to the head because of the restriction. With the 05 XT model it was possible to throw high kicks but the shorts would ride up past belly button level. The 06 it's possible to throw high kicks with the standard FlexFighter model due to the waistband and more room in the hips. I don't have XTs in the 06 but I don't imagine there would be any restriction at all.

Groundwork
Like with the standup portion the 05 ride up on you when someone is in your guard. It doesn't tend to restrict movement though and is only a minor annoyance. The 06 model the shorts move with you not against you so they don't ride up, shift or bunch like with the previous design.

FlexFighter Standard vs XT
In the past the XTs have been pushed towards those who have a muay thai background and utilize high kicks and knees. With the 06 model it's possible to throw high kicks and knees with ease while wearing the standard version. Perhaps if you have realy big thighs the Xt would be better suited to you. The only advantage I can see with the XTs is when you're in the clinch and trying to throw knees. If you're opponent grabs onto your the leg of your shorts it can be difficult to throw a knee but with the XTs this isn't a problem.

If you work from your guard a lot then the standard version is a better option. XTs have a tendancy to fall away from your legs and down to your hips especially in a high guard. With the standard version this doesn't happen and because of this you get more traction and a better grip on your opponent. I've noticed that it's a bit harder for an opponent to slip out or a triangle choke or armbar as a result.

Conclusion
The revisions with the 06 design result in a vast improvment eliminating many of the issues with prior designs. This isn't to say that the 06 design isn't without flaws though. The Sprawl logo on the front of the waistband is made of plastic and can be quite abrasive. While rolling in class I got someone in a triangle and in trying to escape it they complained about the the logo. There was a noticeable abrasion on his forehead but perhaps he was just miffed at being caught in the resultant armbar, lol. All in all if you experience any of the problems with the older design that I've mentioned the 06 will alleviate most of them and that alone should warrant purchase. If these aren't an issue for you though then there's probably little reason to but the newer model.

Looks like your joining the regular reviewers in doing a great detailed review. Well done.

www.SSFgear.com

SSF said:
Looks like your joining the regular reviewers in doing a great detailed review. Well done.

www.SSFgear.com

Well if that's the case then perfy, I'm going to have to get you to pay your "gear reviewer" membership fees. You can send a check directly to me :icon_twis

I normally wear 32" shorts, but got fat for the winter, so 34" shorts are what I rock now. Will the 06's in 32" be ok, since they have the adjustable waistband? 32" in both the old skool Sprawls and Truth shorts are too tight. I'm thinking I would wear a 34" in the new Sprawls esp if I wear a cup with them. What do you think?

SSF said:

www.SSFgear.com

I've seen you post your link on a Sprawl thread multiple times and I can't find Sprawl products anywhere on your site. Do you even sell the stuff?

I really liked my 05's a lot. The 06 came out and I got a pair cause everybody was raving about them and now I can't stand the 05's. The 06's are that much better, I got a couple more pairs and gave my bro my old ones. The waistband difference as well as the hip room is a million times better than anything else out there.

they are good so far, but the competition one have the printing cracking and peeling... I got mine "2 weeks" ago and the sprawl printing is peeling out badly.
I know,Iknow I should go for the no print one, but hey, I paid 4 extra bux for it, nobody told me, that it will wash out that fast. I mean for the price :42$ + 11$(shipping)...
sprawl should ask for their shorts to be screen printed with latex ink, my generic brand rashguard went thru 100 of wash and the screenprinting on it didn't move a notch....
beside that, i love my sprawl 06 way better than my 05. and since it took me a month to get it here in "vietnam". forget about returning it (unless I want to wait 2 extra months) .. but it didn't stop me from ordering the sprawl loose-fit grappling top.
just hope steve@sprawl can help me on it.

chris

[email protected]

Dragonsland,

Send me an email at [email protected]. I am not sure why this happening as we used a heat transfer process to avoid this problem. Send me an email and we will work something out.

Thank you.

Steve

Steve Marino said:
Dragonsland,

Send me an email at [email protected]. I am not sure why this happening as we used a heat transfer process to avoid this problem. Send me an email and we will work something out.

Thank you.

Steve

sent u an email, you can contact me at [email protected]
thanx again for that quick reply

Chris

Dragonsland said:
sent u an email, you can contact me at [email protected]
thanx again for that quick reply

Chris

I replied to your email yesterday. It was to a different address then the one mentioned above. I just resent it to your new address. Let me know if you received it.

Steve

Ill be honest Dragonsland I think the printing looks bad ass all cracked like that. But I definitally see your point and agree with what your saying. Still looks cool though.

Adino said:
Ill be honest Dragonsland I think the printing looks bad ass all cracked like that. But I definitally see your point and agree with what your saying. Still looks cool though.
he said it looked liked that in 2 weekz no? dunno about you but i wanna keep me shortz more than a month keekee :redface:

BigThanks Again to the team Sprawl!!
they hooked me up with a replacement short and a free t shirt. I feel like it's christmas already...
The best customer service around ,no joke... fast fast fast....really good company, but we all know that already!

SSF said:
When are the green ones going to be up? I want to order a pair.

www.SSFgear.com

Where? I didn't saw those one!

Hey Steve or Scott ,do you have any in stock if it's not too late?? could I have a green instead of a black? if not it's fine too ..

thanx again

chris

How do the sizes run i am normally a 36 so should I buy one size bigger or just my regular size?

Those size are true size on the 06 model. if 36 fit you just go for a 36.
The 06 model fit perfectly, the 05 used to fit smaller....

Back