sprained thumb...WTF!!!!

jpark4

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i just got a sprained(spell check?) thumb last night and didn't notice until this morning. I was just wonder if there's a certain way i can take care of my thumb to make it heal faster--i've sprained my ankle before but now it's just in a weird place, and i'm constantly using it since i'm going to school to write.
-Jon

Atleast i think it's sprained...shit hurts like hell when i move it in certain positions

make sure its not fractured (my friend made that mistake once thought it was a sprain and tried to train threw it and ended up breaking his finger completely) ... so my advice see a doctor unless you're sure its just a sprain then you can try taping it to your hand so it stays still all the time

it didn't swell up so i'm pretty sure, but i will get it checked if it hurts longer than 4 days. I'll probably train tonight but only for the techniques...then just watch them while i cry on the couch.
-Jon

it hurts close to the lower joint...i'll take a picture
-Jon
Picture.jpg

the circle is where it it hurts the top x is where the most strain is when i ben the thumb and inbetween the X's is where it hurts when i push down.
-Jon

jpark4 said:
i just got a sprained(spell check?) thumb last night and didn't notice until this morning. I was just wonder if there's a certain way i can take care of my thumb to make it heal faster--i've sprained my ankle before but now it's just in a weird place, and i'm constantly using it since i'm going to school to write.
-Jon

Atleast i think it's sprained...shit hurts like hell when i move it in certain positions

First thing, go to a doctor and get it checked out. If it's really bad, then listen and do what the doctor says and if he says rest for a few days then do it. There are plenty of times that I was injured and I still competed/trained and all that happened was me just making it worse. You should also wrap it up and/or wear a splint.

hmm. other fingers I would say just tape it up and forget it, but you actually need your thumb-- if it gets worse, get it checked out.

pretty sure it's just a sprain
sadas.jpg

it doesn't hurt when i do that...probably a stupid thing to do, but just wanted to make sure
-Jon

Ice it right after the injury to help keep the swelling down. Then tape it for class.

i did the same thing playing basketball. i thought it'd be better in a few days because it didn't hurt that much at the time, but it kept pissing me off for 6 months.
so i'd get it checked out if it's still sore after a week or so.

jpark4 said:
now it looks like i got my thumb chopped of!
sadas001.jpg

-Jon

lol u kinda overdid it with the tape really does look like u got 1/2 the hand chopped off

sprained thumbs from my understanding, never totally heal.

good luck :(

Take it easy with sprained fingers... I had badly sprained fingers... but I taped them up and kept training anyways. I now have arthritis in those fingers from repeatedly aggravating the sprains.

My advice: ice and rest. Motrin for the pain.

I sprained my thumb recently by spreading my fingers too wide while posting. You need to get your tendons and ligaments put in place. If they are tangled it will swell and will not heal correctly. Luckily my instructor knew how to do it and my thumb recovered in 3 days.

hmm...it doesn't hurt as much anymore, think it was just a jam. The only reason why it was so bad,i think, was because i woke up and i tried to crack my knuckle like a dumbass, which probably made it worse
-Jon

Back