Spotify vs Rhapsody?

RemyR

Silver Belt
Reaction score
Looking for a nice LEGAL way to increase my itunes library without paying $1 per song and these two seem like decent ideas (pay monthly, unlimited downloads). Just wondering if anyone could recommend one over the other? Which has the better library to chose from?

Or is there a better alternative out there? (again, legal please)

I use Spotify. Haven't got a clue what Rhapsody is.

I have never used Spotify but I have Rhapsody. I cannot really recommend it because the only reason I use it is because they bought out Napster and my subscription was grandfathered in. Rhapsody library is ok I guess but their search function is kinda stupid a lot of the time.

I have Zune pass, but the agreement changed recently which kinda sucks.

I've always been curious as to how spotify works. If you sign up, pay the monthly fee and download stuff is that now YOUR music or does it vanish as soon as you are no longer a paying member?

I been using Spotify since its US launch. They have a great library. The guy who started Napster is with Spotify. Which is hilarious, because he and Metallica just had a news conference on stage together announcing Metallica's catalog being added to Spotify.

I will say this. If you spend at least $120 a year in music, then you might as well be a premium member.

The streaming is good, but can be subject to weather and signal reception. Same goes for Rhapsody as well.

If you want absolutely zero interference. Then Spotify allows you to have 3,333 songs for offline listening. So basically I keep my favorite lists available for offline and a "starred" playlist which I update regularly.

Spotify has also been improving their radio station feature as well. I use it for when I want a little variety from my playlists. Works the same as Pandora. The station will play songs based off an artist or genre.

My wife got jealous and started an account for her as well after she got fed up with iTunes.

Do you like it? How's the song library? New songs get put on there quick?

I like it.

I really don't know about the other stuff, I started using Spotify because it's easy on everyday usage basis. Got tired of getting everything illegally or buying. I don't listen to pop, so don't know how fast they put stuff up.

I think you can still try Spotify for free, so I'd recommend you to do that and see how it feels.

I've always been curious as to how spotify works. If you sign up, pay the monthly fee and download stuff is that now YOUR music or does it vanish as soon as you are no longer a paying member?

You don't actually download anything. And anything you have for offline listening on a mobile device will stop working.

I been using Spotify since its US launch. They have a great library. The guy who started Napster is with Spotify. Which is hilarious, because he and Metallica just had a news conference on stage together announcing Metallica's catalog being added to Spotify.

I will say this. If you spend at least $120 a year in music, then you might as well be a premium member.

The streaming is good, but can be subject to weather and signal reception. Same goes for Rhapsody as well.

If you want absolutely zero interference. Then Spotify allows you to have 3,333 songs for offline listening. So basically I keep my favorite lists available for offline and a "starred" playlist which I update regularly.

Spotify has also been improving their radio station feature as well. I use it for when I want a little variety from my playlists. Works the same as Pandora. The station will play songs based off an artist or genre.

My wife got jealous and started an account for her as well after she got fed up with iTunes.

Wait so with spotify you can't download songs and put them on iTunes? It has its own player?

Wait so with spotify you can't download songs and put them on iTunes? It has its own player?

Correct. It's a streaming service. You are basically renting music from them, but in return you can use their entire catalog of millions of songs. If I had to pay Apple for the playlists I've been able to create since I stared Spotify I would owe them around 20k right now.

So while I have no physical property for my money. The fact is that this is the future of digital media. It's not in danger of failing any time soon as their subscriptions keep increasing.

i'm a spotify premium member, but i only pay every few months. i found a loophole that after you downloaded your songs to your cell with the spotify app, if you leave it in "offline" mode you get to keep listening to the songs even after you no longer have the premium service. but i only became a premium member because i like listening to my music in my car.

regular spotify is free and you can listen to practically every song in their library, and it's updated daily. you'll get 10-20 second ads after a few songs but it's not bad for a free service. it's also a good way to preview an entire album before you decide to buy it from itunes.

I used to have Rhapsody. The selection is decent but I didn't like their software or mobile app. Songs I downloaded on my phone would regularly not play and need to be downloaded again. They'd also take albums out of their library and then put them back every so often which was annoying.

Correct. It's a streaming service. You are basically renting music from them, but in return you can use their entire catalog of millions of songs. If I had to pay Apple for the playlists I've been able to create since I stared Spotify I would owe them around 20k right now.

So while I have no physical property for my money. The fact is that this is the future of digital media. It's not in danger of failing any time soon as their subscriptions keep increasing.

Thanks. Kinda sucks to hear I can't add it to my itunes account and keep things nice and uniform but I'll check it out anyway, I see they have a free trial so why not.

Thanks. Kinda sucks to hear I can't add it to my itunes account and keep things nice and uniform but I'll check it out anyway, I see they have a free trial so why not.

But you can add your iTune songs to,your Spotify account and sync them up.

Back