Sport it's hardest to be a referee?

Finding Deebo

Swimming in Heaven, lookin' for Craig!!
Banned
Reaction score
I have to say Rugby. Physically, you're running all the time but that occurs in other sports as well. But more to the technical difficulty, rugby seems to have several infractions at each breakdown and he constantly has to judge what's material and what isn't, balancing rule enforcement with keeping the game flowing. What say you?

Rugby.

they come up with all of those random infractions.

Basketball with all the flopping.

I seem to remember a bunch of different stories of soccer refs getting murdered over the years. I wouldn't want to have to deal with that.
Can you find some of them?

I'd say NFL, I don't understand loads of the rules and the players have the rules strapped to their arms it's so complicated.

I'd say football (kickball), just for the fact that players surrounding the ref and threatening them has been accepted as part of the game. If that happened in rugby, hockey, basketball, or football (handegg) they would be ejected and given a ban.

Any high school sport where parents assume their child is good enough for a full ride scholarship.

Have to say hockey. I know nothing about the sport except that I can't ice skate. Even watching kids play the referees are constantly dodging pucks flying skating back and forth. Last pro game I went to I ended up watching the refs for a minute it was amazing how many times they didn't get hit by the players or the puck. Again I know almost nothing about the sport but dam that skill set is impressive. I could take anyone I know and more or less officiate a kids basketball game. Can't say the same about hockey

Hockey

Refs got be be able to skate well enough and keep focused on a fast hard hitting game.
And they're right in the line of fire the whole time too.

NFL refs will get trucked from time to time but hockey refs also have to deal with a hard plastic disc being launched in the air in speeds excess of like 85 mph that could dome them.

I'd say hockey, but I've played that more than others, so my views may be biased. The pace is fast, there is a lot to watch, and many penalties are very subjective. It isn't as bad as soccer, but the diving in hockey happens all the time too, which makes it that much harder on the refs.

It also seems like hockey refs take a lot more shit from coaches and parents, but the culture of fighting in hockey might have something to do with that. Call too many penalties and the refs stole the game from the players. Call too few penalties and they let the game get out of control. They just can't win sometimes. It seems like refs in other sports have to deal far less with the accusation of "Letting the game get out of control".

Even playing beer league hockey, I chuckle at the abuse some guys hurl at the refs. I'm just glad they are there and we get to actually play, but some players treat it like they have a pro contract on the line.

Back