***spoilers ufc 120*********

YeahBee

Samdog Original Nine
Reaction score
***SPOILERS UFC 120*********

Just writing a bunch of stuff so that when people hover over the topic with the cursor they won't read anything they don't want to

Just writing a bunch of stuff so that when people hover over the topic with the cursor they won't read anything they don't want to

There has been alot of talk about guard pulling recently,

Paul Sass put on a frekkin clinique, clearly doesn't adhere to all this top is the only way etc etc

He smothly went from takedown attempts into tight guards. Nice finish to.

I wish more BJJ guys had trust in their guard like that, instead many just go for weak doubles/singles and gas when they constantly get stuffed/sprawled on

Akiyama didn't try any judo and I am not impressed with his performance, frekkin greg Jackson the usual miracle worker took all the fun out of Sexyyama:icon_cry2

I thought Akiyama's performance was pretty horrible. I didn't see any movement and one attempt to take it to ground which was weak at best. He just seemed to be looking for that KO punch. Even though I hate Bisping I think he showed varied striking and ok movement. Was expecting much more from Sexy.

In the Sassangle subject he really needs to be careful. Sure he can be guard agressive and pull guard constantly he has to be careful when he faces a good wrestler with good submission defense. I still think that people who say the guard is dead are freakin retards. Guards have saved more than one fighters fight and even though it may be considered a bad position some guys just have weak top games and prefer the guard.

I thought Akiyama's performance was pretty horrible. I didn't see any movement and one attempt to take it to ground which was weak at best. He just seemed to be looking for that KO punch. Even though I hate Bisping I think he showed varied striking and ok movement. Was expecting much more from Sexy.

In the Sassangle subject he really needs to be careful. Sure he can be guard agressive and pull guard constantly he has to be careful when he faces a good wrestler with good submission defense. I still think that people who say the guard is dead are freakin retards. Guards have saved more than one fighters fight and even though it may be considered a bad position some guys just have weak top games and prefer the guard.

i don't think it is just that.

it may be more efficient for a BJJ guy to spend most of his time on the guard

Takedowns takes the most time and effort to be really good at, you just can't become a truly great takedown guy if you start late.

Most won't ever close the gap between them and wrestlers enough to be effective, it is a lost cause

Claude showed some good BJJ and decent takedowns. Wish he would have finished.

Akiyama's lack of judo disappointing me as well. Its cool that he likes to stand and bang but he needs to use what he's best at, takedowns and throws. Maybe that style worked better for him over in Asia, but in the UFC he's giving up height and reach advantages to most other MWs.

Maybe 2 losses in a row will have him changing his game a little bit. I'm surprised Jackson didn't have Akiyama try to get it to the ground.

Akiyama is a bitter disappointment to me. I have no idea what he was trying to do tonight with that one big right hand and not trying to take the fight to the ground at all. I guess he figured it would be very fan appealing to stand right in front of Bisping and be used as his punching bag. Almost 0 head movement and just winding up for the big overhand right.... all night long.

I mean come on... if its not working why continue to do the same thing the whole fight? Akiyama could have outgrappled Bisping. He didnt use the best tool in his arsenal, which is his Judo. Why? It was probably one of the most retarded strategy's I've seen. Lets not even mention the fact that he gassed......... again..... why is it that a pro athlete of his caliber and training with the camps hes trains with cant get his cardio under control? :mad:

I wanted to see some big Sexy Judo tonight and was dissapointed. One horrible attempt at a sweep? Wow. I will still cheer for him though.

Also, why did Pyle not take a Kimura on that arm while he has that reverse triangle? I love keeping a guy busy with a triangle then finishing with the arm. He just kept throwing those litlte punches!

I wanted to see some big Sexy Judo tonight and was dissapointed. One horrible attempt at a sweep? Wow. I will still cheer for him though.

Also, why did Pyle not take a Kimura on that arm while he has that reverse triangle? I love keeping a guy busy with a triangle then finishing with the arm. He just kept throwing those litlte punches!

That was exactly what I was thinking. He just had that position and could finish easily considering Hathaway was more worried about escaping and not getting hit than getting that arm broken.

Also I agree with the takedown statement YeahBee. Seeing guys like Andre Galvao get sprawled on and then beaten to a pulp makes me sad deep down in the heart. Such beautiful ground game but so useless when you can't get there.

I've been saying this for a while now, but I really think the star sweep is the answer to guys trying to stand and slam their way out of submissions. The fight where the good bjj guy kept pulling guard and triangled his opponent could've easily pulled it off when his first few omaplata attempts got stood out of.

But between that and the mounted reverse triangle from pyle, I definitely got my bjj fix. Extra pumped to go to open mat tomorrow. Strategically, do you guys think pyle should have tried to finish that considering his gnp wasn't gonna stop the fight, or just securing the round was the right decision? I think given the time that was left, he probably should have tried to finish it after the first 30 seconds or so of gnp.

There has been alot of talk about guard pulling recently,

Paul Sass put on a frekkin clinique, clearly doesn't adhere to all this top is the only way etc etc

He smothly went from takedown attempts into tight guards. Nice finish to.

I wish more BJJ guys had trust in their guard like that, instead many just go for weak doubles/singles and gas when they constantly get stuffed/sprawled on

My thoughts exactly. Sass gave an unorthdox but amazing performance. He just blew my brains out. I'm really really looking forward for his next fight. His stand up has a long way to go, but he was amazing from his back. A lot of BJJers will have to take a page off his book.

Akiyama didn't try any judo and I am not impressed with his performance, frekkin greg Jackson the usual miracle worker took all the fun out of Sexyyama:icon_cry2

Akiyama seemed more concerned about his takedown defense than by taking the fight to the ground himself. This, was, bad. I find Akiyama had the most success so far by mixing things up and using his amazing judo trips. Greg Jackson thought he could turn Akiyama into a Dan Henderson, well, the problem is, Bisping learned his lessons from that fight. Jackson should have had a plan B.

I was hoping to see some nice throws from Akiyama as well. Oh well, can't win em all. I figured Bisping would win that one anyway.

Claude Patrick and Mike Pyle showed some nice grappling in there as well, very similar actually. Effective clinch takedowns, and some solid passing and positional dominance. You don't want to pound from the guard if you can do it from a safer position. Pyle's step-over triangle was sweet, but I thought he would have abandoned the strikes at some point and worked for the submission on the arm. Great stuff though.

Sass showed some great guard work tonight. Who does he train under? His gym's website lists their highest rank as a brown belt. Either way, very slick stuff. I'm always split on the guard pulling. Some guys can make it work. I don't think the risk for him is a wrestler necessarily, just anyone with good sub defense and top game (wrestling is useful for getting you there, once you're there it's not a test of your wrestling ability so much as your submission awareness).

Sass showed some great guard work tonight. Who does he train under? His gym's website lists their highest rank as a brown belt. Either way, very slick stuff. I'm always split on the guard pulling. Some guys can make it work. I don't think the risk for him is a wrestler necessarily, just anyone with good sub defense and top game (wrestling is useful for getting you there, once you're there it's not a test of your wrestling ability so much as your submission awareness).

He trains at Kaobon under Luta Livre black belt Marcelo Brigadeiro, but he only made that switch (relatively) recently. He used to train under Paul Rimmer (the BJJ brown belt - under Chris Brennan I believe - that you refer to) at Next Generation, and I believe he is a BJJ purple belt. I've no idea how his rank has translated over to Luta Livre.

He trains at Kaobon under Luta Livre black belt Marcelo Brigadeiro, but he only made that switch (relatively) recently. He used to train under Paul Rimmer (the BJJ brown belt - under Chris Brennan I believe - that you refer to) at Next Generation, and I believe he is a BJJ purple belt. I've no idea how his rank has translated over to Luta Livre.

Well regardless where he trains or trained, he has a great triangle from the guard. His first 8 fights were all wins by triangle. Hopefully his new grappling coach works to enhance his current style rather than to conform it to the trainer's. That's always my #1 concern when a good fighter switches camps.

Well regardless where he trains or trained, he has a great triangle from the guard. His first 8 fights were all wins by triangle. Hopefully his new grappling coach works to enhance his current style rather than to conform it to the trainer's. That's always my #1 concern when a good fighter switches camps.

He's in safe hands, Briga is a superb coach. He's not the bullying type that will be disregarding Sass's existing skillset. If anything, you'll see his existing skillset improve, you won't see a complete reinvention, and at Kaobon his stand-up can really improve too.

Bisping is a tough fight for pretty much anyone, even Wandy barely got past him, but Akiyama definitely could have won that fight with a better gameplan. He would eat Bisping's lunch if he actually tried to take the fight to the ground instead of only looking for the right hand KO. Even the bad strategy Akiyama used almost worked, he caught Bisping with that right a couple of times but apparently it wasn't accurate enough.

Put Bisping up against a good wrestler/grappler who actually tries to grapple with him, and I think he is in deep trouble.

The Sass fight was great, it was cool to see a Brit use good BJJ.

Last edited:
Bisping is a tough fight for anyone, even Wandy barely got past him, but Akiyama definitely could have won that fight with a better gameplan. He would eat Bisping's lunch if he actually tried to take the fight to the ground.

No I agree, Bisping is a great fighter no doubt, but I truly believe if Akiyama has turned it into a grappling match (and improved his cardio to go as many rounds as it takes) then he could have beat him. Akiyama would not have got sub'd by Leben had he not been completely gassed out. His gameplan was just completely retarded and I would love to know just what exactly the "master" Greg Jackson was telling him in the corner.

Back