Spiral Armbar

Galahad

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So my 2-week free trial on mginaction.com ran out, so I'd thought I'd try to discuss the spiral armbar with you guys.

Anyone try it out? Success with it? Set-ups? Thoughts, etc.?

Seems like it evolved out of his time experimenting with the omoplata/monoplata...

I absolutely love it! I've been preferring it over the mounted triangle. It's very secure, and easy to set up from the mount. Right now I do not use it from any other positions, and I'm honestly surprised it hasn't really been discussed on here. I don't see many people using it either.

Drew, I'd love for you to go more in depth with it like you've done with other techniques.

Any explanations or good videos of what the spiral armbar is exactly?

Drew, I'd love for you to go more in depth with it like you've done with other techniques.

Honestly, I don't feel comfortable doing that with this. The Darce/Brabo is something I feel that I'm as comfortable talking a lot of people out there. Obviously I can't hit it on black belts, but I am good enough with it to feel okay about writing tips on it through a message board. Same with the Guillotine, North/Sotuh choke, and RNC stuff that I wrote up on mginaction. I felt all of that was good and not inappropriate because I was speaking from the position of a student. The Spiral Armbar... not so much (not comfortable). When I do my next detailed thread it is going to hopefully be more of a discussion on that principle/position/technique and less of a turning into me talking about it.

I will try to compile some media on the Spiral Armbar though. The best way to check it out is to use axebjj as the trial code for MGinaction.com and hopefully sign up if you enjoy it. There's a ton of material on it. I'll find whatever is free and post it here.

You can kind of tell what's going on at 2:50. It's literally the only place on the internet you can see it for free. It's kind of a cross between an armpit-tucked armlock and a monoplata. Your head-side leg is NOT over the face, and your body side leg lays across the chest AND neck, so you can set it up like you're doing a triangle from mount.

2:50

Last edited:
The best way to check it out is to use axebjj as the trial code for MGinaction.com and hopefully sign up if you enjoy it.

I suggest everyone do this. Also I don't know if it's still working but I used MG14 and got 2 weeks free, while I think if use someone's username it's only one week.

And if you do sign up watch him rolling with JT Torres, he hit's a NASTY spiral armbar.

I've seen this video before, but wow.... it looks like a grown man rolling with a little kid.

he's just pwnin'g ryan mercilessly and it looks like effortlessly.

amazing....

thanks for the post drew!

I suggest everyone do this. Also I don't know if it's still working but I used MG14 and got 2 weeks free, while I think if use someone's username it's only one week.

And if you do sign up watch him rolling with JT Torres, he hit's a NASTY spiral armbar.

So it worked? You got to see the Spiral Armbar?

Check out the "guillotine from front headlock" and the "guillotine from side control, guillotine from butterfly, and guillotine from mount" videos. Those will give you the best feeling of how evolved the Guillotine is. After that watch the front flip Guillotine vid and hear the class say "Holy Shit!"

Obviously all of the crucifix/RNC and seat belt/RNC videos are great. The inverted armlock from butterfly is a great technique on there. His discussion with Ryan Hall is awesome.

The 1 legged X-Guard sweeps too. Man, you already know. the whole website is great.

I've seen this video before, but wow.... it looks like a grown man rolling with a little kid.

he's just pwnin'g ryan mercilessly and it looks like effortlessly.

amazing....

thanks for the post drew!

I like how Ryan pretty much has a shit eating grin after every tap too. :icon_chee

looks similar to some of the arm bars Sakuraba has pulled off.

So it worked? You got to see the Spiral Armbar?

Check out the "guillotine from front headlock" and the "guillotine from side control, guillotine from butterfly, and guillotine from mount" videos. Those will give you the best feeling of how evolved the Guillotine is. After that watch the front flip Guillotine vid and hear the class say "Holy Shit!"

Obviously all of the crucifix/RNC and seat belt/RNC videos are great. The inverted armlock from butterfly is a great technique on there. His discussion with Ryan Hall is awesome.

The 1 legged X-Guard sweeps too. Man, you already know. the whole website is great.

Lol, no I pretty much watched them all when I had the 2-week free trial. And yeah those two weeks have pretty much changed my entire game.

Use MG14 vs axebjj as the trial code, 2wks vs 1wk. I'm still trying finalize my free trial but it keeps saying 'gateway busy'

Bump in case anyone has anything else to share. And also because we've had a run of shitty threads lately.

One more thing, I was looking through JJ University by Saulo and saw a technique called Royler's armbar which looked very similar to the spiral armbar, but I only got a quick glimpse. So check it out if you have it.

Back