spinning side kick vs spinning back kick

KEMPO COMMANDER

White Belt
Reaction score
in chinese kempo we call what everyone seems to call a spinning back kick a spinning side kick .We also perform back kicks which are done with toes pionting toward the ground and u basically just shoot ur heel out behind u aiming for thigh or knee.it is mostly done as a defense agaist 2 attackers with one coming up from behind u.the spinning back kick would be used agaist the facing opponent delivering kick so u immediatly face man behind u and attack.but what wecall spinning side kick is thrown same as side kick with the spin, foot sideways extending exactly u would crossbehind side or straight side kick.Does anyone else agree?

They're two different kicks. A spinning side-kick would be extended more to the front of the body, from the side of the hip, outwards with the hips basically still up-and-down though slightly turned, and this kick can be fired even if your facing the opponent frontally without turning the body completely.

The spinning back-kick would be where the body is turned completely and so are the hips, meaning the kick is fired more from your back-side or behind you. This kick is mostly thrown blind, targeted before the actual spin, though some people master the movement enough to be able to turn their heads and lock their eyes to their target strike-zone.

People who call these kicks the same thing just don't know kicks very well.

Spinning back kick > spinning side kick

I could write a pages long biomechanical and technical thesis about these two kicks (actualy about every kick :)), but because of a lag of time I just sum it up and leave the exact explanations aside. A back kick is faster, stronger and more stable but also more "moveable" than the spinning side. The spining side kick is actualy technicaly more dificult but alows higher precision.
Back kick requiers a body turn of 90-160

most people throw the spinning side kick because they get carreid away with the rotation. Back kick is more solid cuz it utalizes your hams glutes and lower back more in the strike. Its a tough kick to get good with though.

King Kabuki said:
They're two different kicks. A spinning side-kick would be extended more to the front of the body, from the side of the hip, outwards with the hips basically still up-and-down though slightly turned, and this kick can be fired even if your facing the opponent frontally without turning the body completely.

The spinning back-kick would be where the body is turned completely and so are the hips, meaning the kick is fired more from your back-side or behind you. This kick is mostly thrown blind, targeted before the actual spin, though some people master the movement enough to be able to turn their heads and lock their eyes to their target strike-zone.

People who call these kicks the same thing just don't know kicks very well.

Great post. The descriptions are right on!

yeah 2 different kicks,

spinning side allows you to nail the attacker that is off to the side.

spinning back kick is a powerful kick that nails an attacker straight on.

Spiining back kicks generates alot more power. Benny the jet used to demolish Muiay Thai fighters with that kick

Yeah sure, I think people use the terms interchangeably in MMA. You can throw variations blending the two depending on speed and range. For clarity if I'm describing something like Buentello's ugly ass spin kicks I'd call them mule kicks because TKD guys tend to call back kicks and side kicks the same thing.

The term reversekick is also used for spinning sidekick.

The spinning back kick is safer, because your knee protects your family jewels. The spinning side kick, on the other hand, leaves your crotch wide open.

I just resurrected this thread. Found it on Google.

Is there any reason to throw a reverse kick instead of a back kick, other than because you want to see your target better before you throw the kick?

The one reason I can think of: the turning side kick is strong from closer because of how deep you can pull the chamber, and the start of its power is high. I've hit people with it hard because they started closing on me as I turned. The back kick on the other hand, is faster, and needs to be because the target HAS to be a good distance away unless you jump and turn away while you throw it.

Any other reason to throw one over the other? Am I right about my assessment?

Edit:

The difference makes me think about traditional chambered side kicks and front chambered side kicks. When you use the front chamber, it comes out straighter and fast and more deceptively, but it can't hit until the end of the stroke. Pulling up the chamber to the side is slower, but the kick can hit very close to your body.

Last edited:
Back