Spielberg (2017) - new HBO documentary on the man himself

G

Guestx

A friend of mine just tipped me off to this. I will definitely be checking it out.

I thought you would have watched that days ago. ;)

It's good.

I've been singing his praises lately, must be something in the air.

Definitely gonna check this out.

Spielberg is like the Dumbledore of film directing.

The sweet old magical grandpa, that never diddled any of the kids.

We hear the term GOAT tossed around alot but I've really been wondering lately. . .

Is Spielberg the directing GOAT?

If not, then who? Obviously everyone will argue criteria, but it just seems like no other director--that I'm aware of at least--has had his kind of sustained success, both critically and financially. 40 years on and he's still one of the very top guys in Hollywood. The only other guy who I think comes close is Scorsese, but as much like I love Scorsese, Spielberg has outdone him.

Last edited by a moderator:
We hear the term GOAT tossed around all but I've really been wondering lately. . .

Is Spielberg the directing GOAT?

If not, then who? Obviously everyone will argue criteria, but it just seems like no other director--that I'm aware of at least--has had his kind of sustained success, both critically and financially. 40 years on and he's still one of the very top guys in Hollywood. The only other guy who I think comes close is Scorsese, but as much like I love Scorsese, Spielberg has outdone him.

Ultimately, I'd say art doesn't fit into a universally quantifiable metric where we can definitively say one or another is the GOAT. It's personal preference.

That having been said, I would also say there is a high threshold for mastery when it comes to directing, that a pick would have to be above in order to be taken seriously, at least by my self-righteous ass. And Spielberg definitely sits in that rareified air. If someone had him as their pick, I wouldn't scoff at all. The guy is a genius.

Ultimately, I'd say art doesn't fit into a universally quantifiable metric where we can definitively say one or another is the GOAT. It's personal preference.

That having been said, I would also say there is a high threshold for mastery when it comes to directing, that a pick would have to be above in order to be taken seriously, at least by my self-righteous ass. And Spielberg definitely sits in that rareified air. If someone had him as their pick, I wouldn't scoff at all. The guy is a genius.

What impresses me the most about Spielberg are two things:

First, he's stayed at the top of the game for as long as he has, BOTH in terms of critical success and box office success.

Second, his output has varied so widely throughout his career. Guys like Hitchcock and Scorsese are largely defined by making certain kinds of movies. But Spielberg, while he has some hallmarks that are his own, has been successful in a broad range of genres. He's got family sci-fi like ET, more serious adult-oriented sci-fi like Close Encounters, dramas like Munich and Schindler's List, romantic dramedies like The Terminal, war films like Saving Private Ryan, fantasy movies like Hook, adventure movies like the Indy series, sci-fi horror family films (?) like Jurassic Park. . .

I mean, it's just fucking crazy what all he has done and the level at which he has done it.

What impresses me the most about Spielberg are two things: First, he's stayed at the top of the game for as long as he has, BOTH in terms of critical success and box office success. Second, his output has varied so widely throughout his career. Guys like Hitchcock and Scorsese are largely defined by making certain kinds of movies. But Spielberg, while he has some hallmarks that are his own, has been successful in a broad range of genres. He's got family sci-fi like ET, more serious adult-oriented sci-fi like Close Encounters, dramas like Munich and Schindler's List, romantic dramedies like The Terminal, war films like Saving Private Ryan, fantasy movies like Hook, adventure movies like the Indy series, sci-fi horror family films (?) like Jurassic Park. . .

I mean, it's just fucking crazy what all he has done and the level at which he has done it.

It's an illustrious career that no one can really fuck with in terms of sheer staying power & variation, for sure.

I think if I had to pick a hidden gem of Spielberg's, it would be The Terminal. That movie doesn't get enough love.

I haven't seen it, but I read a short review that said it was too gushing and glowing to be truly meaningful or engaging.

Sounds like a nice tribute piece for bigtime fans.

I've seen it. It's definitely worth the watch if you are remotely interested in Spielberg. It's over 2 hours long and the time just flies by.

I haven't seen it, but I read a short review that said it was too gushing and glowing to be truly meaningful or engaging.

Sounds like a nice tribute piece for bigtime fans.

I read something like that earlier, saying that it focuses on Spielberg's high points and ignores the valleys in his career. That's somewhat disappointing.

I'm probably going to check it out tonight though.

giphy.gif

Can't wait to see this. Spielberg is my all time favorite director.

It was really good. Spent too much time on his jewness but I guess that was needed for Schindlers List.

If you search on the internet there are quite a few rumors that he's a pedo, and that it's actually kind of known in the industry.

With all the Weinstein stuff going on, i wouldn't even be surprised.

That being said, i watched the doc, its great. For 80s kids like some of use here, its hard not to love him, we grew up on his movies.

Watched it last night. It's basically a career retrospective with a few interludes to explore his childhood, his relationship with his father and his relationship to Judaism.

Even though it's a little over 2 1/2 hours, I thought it moved along at a pretty brisk pace.

Definitely recommended for anyone who enjoys his work.

It was really good. Spent too much time on his jewness but I guess that was needed for Schindlers List.

I thought too much time was spent on Schindler's List itself. It seemed to just go on and on and on. I would've liked to have seen some of that time given to Jurassic Park. I'm a lot more interested in JP than I am Schindler's List and that segment seemed to just gloss over the film quickly.

This was a pretty good special. Had some good insight on Steves motivations and drive behind his success. Touches on a lot of childhood themes that were in his life.

Also the man is a genius when it comes to movie

This was a pretty good special. Had some good insight on Steves motivations and drive behind his success. Touches on a lot of childhood themes that were in his life.

Also the man is a genius when it comes to movie

He seems like a genius period. They talked about him doing a million things at once with ease.

Back