Spider Guard DVD: Ultimate Open Guard by Mauricio "Tinguinha" Mariano #10151

ColClaypool

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone seen this vid? I was thinking about ordering it from Budovideos.com. Thoughts or any other related spider guard videos you can think that are good?

Thanks

Tinguinha, as you can tell from my signature, is my instructor. I own this video and have watched it a lot. If you're interested in Spider Guard, there is no better video on the market. Most of the other instructionals that even address spider guard do so only in passing or represent an incomplete picture.

Tinguinha does a good job of explaining to you how spider guard works, how to establish it, how to maintain it, when to use it, and some submissions and sweeps from the position (including his setups for getting these), and also how to pass the spider guard. The moves from the spider guard are predominantly presented in the form of a series (if the opponent does A, you do B, if C then do D.) I've worked these moves a lot and I can tell you that they definitely work in a tournament setting. If you're interested in playing spider guard, there is no better video on the market. I absolutely love his triangle setup.

Also, if you're interested in ordering it. Please buy it from www.fightlife.com
Your money will be going towards helping the local BJJ community instead of some big martial arts video distributor like budovideos.

Sherdog_Mutt said:
Tinguinha, as you can tell from my signature, is my instructor. I own this video and have watched it a lot. If you're interested in Spider Guard, there is no better video on the market. Most of the other instructionals that even address spider guard do so only in passing or represent an incomplete picture.

Tinguinha does a good job of explaining to you how spider guard works, how to establish it, how to maintain it, when to use it, and some submissions and sweeps from the position (including his setups for getting these), and also how to pass the spider guard. The moves from the spider guard are predominantly presented in the form of a series (if the opponent does A, you do B, if C then do D.) I've worked these moves a lot and I can tell you that they definitely work in a tournament setting. If you're interested in playing spider guard, there is no better video on the market. I absolutely love his triangle setup.

Also, if you're interested in ordering it. Please buy it from www.fightlife.com
Your money will be going towards helping the local BJJ community instead of some big martial arts video distributor like budovideos.

Thanks for your feedback. I am definately interested in the spider guard, but other then one sweep it appears especially where I train the information is limited. I will also check out fightlife.com as well -- especially if I can get it cheaper there.

Spider guard is probably my strong point. I suck all round so my spide guard shouldn't be feared lol. I think spider guard suits my body type & I'll definately check out this out.

Spider guard is great for guys with long legs. I love how you can control your opponent as if they're a puppet. However, spider guard isn't as simple as placing your feet on his biceps and grabbing his sleeves. There's a lot more to the game then that. I'd recommend this DVD for anyone that wants to learn more about spider guard. Feel free to post your reviews of the dvd or any questions re: spider guard on here.

Sherdog_Mutt, I've always wondered exactly what was meant by Tinguinha's other videos. Could you discribe what is meant by the sitting up guard, and cross guard. Is the sitting up guard with your opponent standing?

Ybot: Sitting up guard = Butterfly guard. As you may or may not know, they don't call it the butterfly guard in Brazil. It's basically called the sitting up Guard.

Cross-guard is basically the open guard game that Pe de Pano and a lot of the Gracie Barra guys play. Pretend you have your opponent in your closed guard. To transition to cross-guard (when he is on his knees) you basically pick a side (I'm going to pick my right side, opponent's left). I grab his left leg with my right arm and move my hips so I'm perpendicular to him. My left foot is on his hip. My right leg is across the top portion of his back (but underneath his left arm pit)... kind of like where it should be if I were trying an armbar from the guard attacking his right arm. My left hand would be holding his left sleeve or wrist (for no gi). If you can imagine this, you can picture the cross guard.

Cross guard is interesting in that you're half way to an omoplata. In fact what makes it work is that you're constantly threatening the guy with an omoplata. If the guy does nothing, you shoot your hips up and get the omoplata. If he defends by posturing up, you have a ton of sweeps. If he tries to get out of the cross guard by standing or trying to step over (you have foot locks and a lot more sweeps). If he tries to stack you, you have a triangle waiting for him. You're basically pressuring him with the threat of the omoplata in the cross guard. I like to play this guard against strong wrestlers. For some reason, it's worked very well for me against these guys (usually finishing with a triangle when they try to stack me).

Watch some footage of Pe de Pano's fights. You'll see that he loves to use the cross guard against his opponents.

I have his sitting guard tape. And i was thinking of getting the spider guard one also. But what i NEED to know first is whether it is HIGHLY pertinent to no gi grappling. I have NOTHING to do with any type of gi rolling and i don't want to waste my money on another gi oriented tape that tell us "oh yeah, this is also good for no gi"......NO.....no gi, is no gi, and Most of the time these gi oriented tapes do not really apply to us. And i would think the spider guard tape wouldn't either, but i could be wrong. The only reason i think that is b/c spider guard is mainly done by holding onto gi sleeves from what i know.

Any insight regarding this tapes no gi pertinence would be appreciated.

S.D.Force said:
I have his sitting guard tape. And i was thinking of getting the spider guard one also. But what i NEED to know first is whether it is HIGHLY pertinent to no gi grappling. I have NOTHING to do with any type of gi rolling and i don't want to waste my money on another gi oriented tape that tell us "oh yeah, this is also good for no gi"......NO.....no gi, is no gi, and Most of the time these gi oriented tapes do not really apply to us. And i would think the spider guard tape wouldn't either, but i could be wrong. The only reason i think that is b/c spider guard is mainly done by holding onto gi sleeves from what i know.

Any insight regarding this tapes no gi pertinence would be appreciated.

No offense but I think that you've already answered this question in your mind. To be honest with you, I can't even picture how you can effectively maintain spider guard without a gi. I guess you could grab the wrists but you would need really really strong grips.

For No Gi, I would suggest you check out the cross guard dvd instead. These are more readily transferable to no gi. I've seen Pe de Pano use cross guard at the ADCC's.

Sherdog_Mutt said:
No offense but I think that you've already answered this question in your mind. To be honest with you, I can't even picture how you can effectively maintain spider guard without a gi. I guess you could grab the wrists but you would need really really strong grips.

For No Gi, I would suggest you check out the cross guard dvd instead. These are more readily transferable to no gi. I've seen Pe de Pano use cross guard at the ADCC's.

Are you talking about the x guard? I have Garcia's tapes. Are there other good ones out there? as far as the spider guard goes. I have developed a wicked "two on one" wrist control game that leads to tons of subs. I should probably do an instructional on it. It seems there aren't reall many no gi instructionals for the open guard.

Hey i just looked at your instructors web site. Can you clarify a few things. I would be interested in buying three of the tapes he has: the no gi techniques one, the half/quarter guard one, and the cross guard one.

Can you clarify for me, if you can, the cross guard tape and what kind of stuff it has that's good for no gi. Is 100% of it pertinent to no gi? Or just a smaller percentage? Same question for the half/quarter guard tapes. I have previously purchased the half guard tape with Gordo and was very disappointed, being somewhat of a half guard expert myself (no gi). They had almost all gi techniques, and very little subs. it was almost ALL sweeps, even the tape that was supposed to have subs had almost all sweeps on it. I'm sorry to say, but i could put out a far more comprehensive series that that one myself. I know that sounds conceited but i could...Very disappointing tape. And i heard so many good things about it before i bought it.

No I am not talking about the x-guard. Cross guard is completely different.
I'd say 85% of the techniques on the cross guard video are transferable to no gi. The wrist control is important but not as important as spider guard. Check my previous post where I explained what the cross guard is. Cross guard involves the constant threat of the omoplata. It is not dependent upon grips of a gi. It is very applicable to no gi. Once again, I have seen many of the Gracie Barra guys play cross guard at the ADCC's.

I have never seen the no gi video. That video is not Tinguinha's video but Paulo Guillobel's. As such, I can't tell you anything about it.

I have never seen the half guard/quarter guard video. That video is not Tinguinha's video but Gustavo Machado's (one of Gordo's black belts). However, I have trained a lot with Gustavo. I believe that his half guard and quarter guard game is probably 75% transferable to no gi. Gustavo plays a quick and explosive half guard game. Also, he has a dangerous quarter guard. I've personally use the quarter guard in tournaments whenever I feel that the opponent is on the verge of passing my half guard. It offers lots of opportunities to sweep or recover half or full guard.

Good thread ..Answered alot of my questions ....Thanks Sherdog_mutt .

i'll probably get the cross guard and the half/quarter guard tapes. I'm not so sure about the "no gi" tape. thanks for the info. You can now ask your instructor for a kick back.

I can now visualize the cross guard. And if it can be done solidly with good wrist control then it's a good move for me. Since i have short legs and stock build i look for open guard stuff. I only use closed guard so that the opponents hands will be in one place where i can get them. Once i get wrist control i open up.

S.D.Force said:
i'll probably get the cross guard and the half/quarter guard tapes. I'm not so sure about the "no gi" tape. thanks for the info. You can now ask your instructor for a kick back.

I can now visualize the cross guard. And if it can be done solidly with good wrist control then it's a good move for me. Since i have short legs and stock build i look for open guard stuff. I only use closed guard so that the opponents hands will be in one place where i can get them. Once i get wrist control i open up.

haha... I wish I got a kickback for all the posting I've done for him.

Enjoy the videos, let me know how the half guard/quarter guard dvd works out for you.

Yeah thanks for the info Sherdog Mutt, I had seen these tapes before, but was never sure what was meant by the sitting up guard and cross guard. I will be watching Pe de Pano for this in the future, and will look to include it in my game.

However, it seems to me that the cross guard is a little too unstable. U got not much control of his right side, and got a foot on his hips with nothing to hook onto, then by his hips turning or ya moving around, wount it b easy that ya leg slip into a half guard? Do I need to mention what his free right hand could push?

Still, is cross guard = x-guard?

Sherdog_Mutt said:
Ybot: Sitting up guard = Butterfly guard. As you may or may not know, they don't call it the butterfly guard in Brazil. It's basically called the sitting up Guard.

Cross-guard is basically the open guard game that Pe de Pano and a lot of the Gracie Barra guys play. Pretend you have your opponent in your closed guard. To transition to cross-guard (when he is on his knees) you basically pick a side (I'm going to pick my right side, opponent's left). I grab his left leg with my right arm and move my hips so I'm perpendicular to him. My left foot is on his hip. My right leg is across the top portion of his back (but underneath his left arm pit)... kind of like where it should be if I were trying an armbar from the guard attacking his right arm. My left hand would be holding his left sleeve or wrist (for no gi). If you can imagine this, you can picture the cross guard.

Cross guard is interesting in that you're half way to an omoplata. In fact what makes it work is that you're constantly threatening the guy with an omoplata. If the guy does nothing, you shoot your hips up and get the omoplata. If he defends by posturing up, you have a ton of sweeps. If he tries to get out of the cross guard by standing or trying to step over (you have foot locks and a lot more sweeps). If he tries to stack you, you have a triangle waiting for him. You're basically pressuring him with the threat of the omoplata in the cross guard. I like to play this guard against strong wrestlers. For some reason, it's worked very well for me against these guys (usually finishing with a triangle when they try to stack me).

Watch some footage of Pe de Pano's fights. You'll see that he loves to use the cross guard against his opponents.

thecas said:
However, it seems to me that the cross guard is a little too unstable. U got not much control of his right side, and got a foot on his hips with nothing to hook onto, then by his hips turning or ya moving around, wount it b easy that ya leg slip into a half guard? Do I need to mention what his free right hand could push?

Still, is cross guard = x-guard?

Why is this so hard to understand? The cross guard is NOT the x-guard. Your legs are in a completely different position.

If you've properly pulled this guard, you have alot more control than you think. If he turns his hips or moves around... he's in danger of a sweep. If he uses his free hand to push on your legs, he's open to a sweep in the direction of that arm (no longer able to post with it). It's complicated to describe.

ColClaypool said:
Has anyone seen this vid? I was thinking about ordering it from Budovideos.com. Thoughts or any other related spider guard videos you can think that are good?

Thanks

dude i got it -its the only spider guard dvd u will need- tons of moves.

get cross guard as well- cos he will show you counters to the spider guard pass

Back