Spider Guard 101

Kalma

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Short of buying the Kesting and Bayev set (I dont have that kind of $$) I am trying toput myself together a bit of a Spider Gurad 101. I have treidd playign it and get demolished regulalrly.

Any specific vids or artciles you'd recommend to view ? Or even experiences of your own ?

I am going to look into Langhi's matches to see what I can find out . Anyone other players to investigate ?

Langhi's DVD is like 20 or 25 as an app on your phone. It helped me tremendously. There is also a Rolled Up or BJJ Hacks or some kind of spotlight video on him where he talks about the importance of keeping your hips up in spider guard. Helped me a lot. In my opinion he is the one to watch because he puts together his technique so seamlessly.

It's really difficult to get a good feel for spider-guard, unless you have good hands on instructions. And many people really don't understand how it's played, which is why you get myths like it's better for longer guys.

Most instructionals (not all), may teach you sweeps/submission but won't teach you movement, strategy, and re-guarding.

The trick to playing spider-guard is staying on your shoulders, keep your legs relaxed, and developing a feel of off-balancing your opponent by bringing him over you or coming around the corner.

If you keep getting smashed, always maintain four points of control and keep your hips on the outside.

Flexibility and mobile hips are a must. And if you have a hard time inverting, you're going to get easily passed.

Romulo recently put a video out on youtube (I'm too lazy to go find it and embed) where he talks about the evolution of his game and how he got into spider guard. I would recommend watching that. Great explanation of the guard I thought.

Langhi's dvd as mention earlier too.

I actually started a thread not too long ago about spider guard sweeps and there were some great responses on that too.

Back