Spats with a cup?

mohmandm

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been having reoccurring staph infections and want to create a stronger barrier between my skin and the mats. I'm looking into a pair of Origin spats so my body is covered a little more. Does anyone else wear these with a cup? I have an mma version of the shock doctor compression shorts with a cup. Should I just wear them over the spats? Ever wear them under? Shock doctor has a version where the spats have a built in cup but not sure they will perform like my current shorts.

After going months without any issue I took 4 accidental groin strikes in 3 hours last time i was at the gym. 3 of them we're during kickboxing and only one from grappling but none of them hurt at all.

Cup, always.

As someone who also had a period of multiple staph infections, I think you should take a closer look at your surroundings and hygiene habits. Spats might help, but they're not the ultimate solution.

As someone who also had a period of multiple staph infections, I think you should take a closer look at your surroundings and hygiene habits. Spats might help, but they're not the ultimate solution.

Completely agree. Making sure I shower immediately after with Defense soap, changing my diet from a bunch of refined carbs to fruits/veggies, supplements like garlic and tumeric.

Completely agree. Making sure I shower immediately after with Defense soap, changing my diet from a bunch of refined carbs to fruits/veggies, supplements like garlic and tumeric.

Make sure your facility is regularly and properly cleaning the mats too. And that your training partners aren't putting you at risk with poor hygiene either.

I had staph once. I shower immediately (within 30 minutes) after training. I look my body over for small cuts or abrasions and treat them with defense oil and salve. You need to talk to your instructor about your staph. Maybe he can address the class on hygiene and maybe get a deep cleaning on the mats.

Also, wash your gi after each class. With your gym bag spray the interior with Lysol after you use it.

Back