Sparring w/o headgear

never wear it myself. i do spar against guys who like to wear it though and find they are so much easier to hit it's kinda unfair. i think the combination of taking more shots, plus maybe harder shots, might outweight any benefits it has.

We don't wear any protective gear except for mouth guards. And when I spar with my coach, even when we take it up several notches, we usually default to 12oz gloves. I feel like I can't see with headgear on, and I've never slipped on shin pads. I think though that since my state has regulations, I have to wear a bunch of crap eventually for Am :(.

At my gym we dont use headgear, we hit pretty hard but no one really swings to take your head off, if you get knocked down its more because of the timing of the punch rather than the power. I competed with headgear and I hated it, Id never used it in training and I couldnt see shit. I think headgear sucks, I can understand if you are a pro fighter and have alot of cuts and dont want to make a bad situation worse, but I would generally advise against it.

If you are required to wear headgear when you compete, why wouldn't you wear it in training to get used to it?

I thought it absorbed some of a punches power, but apparently I was wrong because I've accidentally knocked out friends when we both had on gloves and headgear.

never had to wear it in any sparing ive done. and to be honest we always use bellypads and ive taken shots to the body that hurt more then any head shots ive taken. havent been ko'ed yet either but i try to avoid that :p

i always feel like headgear cuts down my reaction time/awareness

While alot of my sparring sessions end up with atleast one of us getting rocked I still avoid headgear. I kinda like getting hit, it flips a switch telling me that I fucked up and did something wrong.

uhhhhh a pro fighter at my gym just baught hella nice head gear and let me tell u...it does NOTHING for dampening the punch...if anything it hurts worse. the only thing it is good for is protecting ur face against cuts..or in his case training with a broken nose.

You guys just wait until you butt heads good and get sliced open. :rolleyes:

Duuuhhhrr head gearrrr uhhhh i nevr wears da hit helmett me no have dain bramage uhhhh( drooling profously)

Actually all kidding aside..I don't when i spar.. It hinders my clinch and obstructs my vision. When sparring though ..we "try" to go about 75% .

Yep and that does happen to just about everyone.

Any one that likes to fight inside and likes to duck and roll. Me and my sparring partners banged heads aleast twice a week. But you cant convince people they need protetive gear untill after the fact.

I like wearing full headgear with the clear plastic face shield because I love to dirty box and utilize elbows.

It gives me the freedom to fight with my partners at this level and know that we won't cut each other.

I also like headgear for the ground to train GnP more realistically in various mounts.

A lot of wrestlers control wrists and do not think about a bent elbow swinging and it catches a lot of people.

Can't believe the idiocy being stated here. Kinda proves the point of why headgears exist.

The right headgear gives significant protection to the jaw. If yours does not, it will only protect against cuts.

Most headgears on the market are crap and offer no real protection.

But with us being men...

1)My gloves are really nice, and i think too much oil-based product would ruin the leather.
2)I think the excessive vaseline will give me some pimples, cause i got oily skin.
3)Vaseline is just some overall nastiness.
Oh, the irony.

funny how many people are against headgear. I guess getting cut and having scars on your face is the in thing nowadays. When I trained at AKA it was mandatory when you were sparring unless it was light sparring with no head shots. All the pros there wore headgear as well. Who needs to get cut and have the resulting scar tissue which only opens up easier when you get hit there later?

Head gear is not the most important thing in the world it just depends. Some people might have a job where they are trying to avoid having a black eye or something. I know i used a pair the other day when i had an interview coming up cause i didn't want any cuts or any other signs of damage. It all depends on your situation.

I just got cut last week...so yeah wear headgear it will save you a bunch of time.

Back