Sparring help

Mojorisin99

Green Belt
Reaction score
The boxing gym I train at only spars on rare occasions so I don't get much experience doing it. Whenever I get in the ring I have no idea what to do. Are there any basic fighting principles I should know? For example if my opponent does A then I should do B. Just basic stuff to look for and how to react.

Mojorisin99 said:
The boxing gym I train at only spars on rare occasions so I don't get much experience doing it. Whenever I get in the ring I have no idea what to do. Are there any basic fighting principles I should know? For example if my opponent does A then I should do B. Just basic stuff to look for and how to react.

Not to sound like a dick, but you might want to change gyms if they don't teach you because the "concept" of sparring/fighting and the techniques would fill volumes of books. In other words, yes you are correct that there are basic principles, but entire threads can be filled just discussing the mechanics of throwing a proper hook.

what type of boxing skill do u have. do u have a good jab have u learned how to throw combos and jeft hooks properly. after all this is down then think about ur defense catching and countering, foot work, slipping punches, goin under. let us know what ur boxing tool box is like and what kinda guys u run into in the ring.

Yes I am asking more about defense and countering specifically. My punches are decent we drill plenty of that stuff. It's just when I am in the ring I dont know when to throw what. I guess I could go in and fire away but I don't think I will improve much.

I was in a simialiar situation in muay thai. My first gym only sparred a couple of saturdays a month and even then you only got two or three one minute rounds. We mainly did bag work and partner drills. Hardly any defensive techniques were taught. I joined another gym where we sparred everyday. I learned more in two classes there than I did in two months of classes at the other gym. You need to find a gym that spars often if you're serious about fighting. It's the only way.

experience is the best teacher. some things can't be taught. spar more.

change gyms, we spar almost every day, it sounds like the trainers not teaching you much either

yeah, change gyms. if you are serious about fighting you should be sparring at least twice a week. it doesnt sound like your trainer is doing a very good job

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back