sparring gloves

VitorFan1

White Belt
Reaction score
Whats the best weight for gloves to spar/train in? i dont want pillows but i dont want to be busted up all the time. i was thinking maybe 14oz?

suggestions?

I use 16oz always. For bags, mits, pads, sparring, etc. The continuous reps using that added weight strengthens your arms. I also do 1 round with only handwraps on the heavybag but not as hard just to strengthen the joints a bit.

Its nice because when you do finally put on 14, 12, or 8 oz gloves they feel so much lighter and you feel much quicker and last longer. Well I do anyway

at my kickboxing gym we spar with 16oz

At my boxing gym where we throw a bit harder with the hands we always spar with 20oz, which I'm told is pretty standard as far as boxing sparring goes

Really I don't see a point in NOT sparring with 20oz gloves unless the spar was specifically to simulate fight conditions. The point of sparring is developing stamina and muscle memory of techniques and reactions. Putting on heaviest gloves allows you to put more effort without hurting eachother, get more stamina, and slow things down too to work with eachother.

sounds alot heavier than it actually is :)

This will typically be a gym dependent kind of question so just ask someone there. I'd say 16oz is the standard for a sparring glove.

at my kickboxing gym we spar with 16oz

At my boxing gym where we throw a bit harder with the hands we always spar with 20oz, which I'm told is pretty standard as far as boxing sparring goes

Really I don't see a point in NOT sparring with 20oz gloves unless the spar was specifically to simulate fight conditions. The point of sparring is developing stamina and muscle memory of techniques and reactions. Putting on heaviest gloves allows you to put more effort without hurting eachother, get more stamina, and slow things down too to work with eachother.

Dude, really? Ive never even SEEN 20 oz gloves, and the only time Ive heard of them being used is when Tyson was wearing them to go easy on his sparring partners. Are they gigantic?

For the record, that is NOT standard for boxing sparring.

Dude, really? Ive never even SEEN 20 oz gloves, and the only time Ive heard of them being used is when Tyson was wearing them to go easy on his sparring partners. Are they gigantic?

For the record, that is NOT standard for boxing sparring.

lol ok, thanks for the correction, makes me feel better about using the 16's all the time then. They aren't much bigger than my 16oz ones.

I have:
Tuf-Wear Hook & Loop Training Gloves from Title Boxing

14/16....i think its bad to wear big gloves all the times i wear 10s for mitts and double end bag...the resistance is good with big gloves but only to a point...to punch fast in a fight you need to practice being fast

14/16....i think its bad to wear big gloves all the times i wear 10s for mitts and double end bag...the resistance is good with big gloves but only to a point...to punch fast in a fight you need to practice being fast

Most of the guys in my gym seem to use 12 oz gloves. I bought some 16s to use just for safety purposes. I guess I need to hand my gloves to guy who is sparring me so I get some of the benefit of those extra ounces. Doesn't matter for the next 2 months while I finish up another trip in and around Southwest Asia.

I'd say 16 oz is the most commonly used and recommended weight, though as mentioned above it can vary from gym to gym. I've been to gyms where they don't care what size you use, so gloves ranging from 10-14 oz were being used as much as 16s. Some gyms are stricter and will only let you spar with 16s or higher. Personally, I use 18 oz gloves right now, but I've been thinking of getting a smaller sized pair for lighter sparring focusing on defense, so there's less glove to block with.

16 oz

we used to spar pretty hard with 8-10 oz gloves... biggest mistake of our lives

I think sparring should always be 16oz

however, if youre a really small guy, I think 14oz could be ok. Cause 16 might be bulky and really big for someone under 140lbs

16 Oz for sparring, and training combos. But sometimes we use MMA gloves as well for sparring (amateur ones). Gosh they feel light compared to the 16 oz ones :p

14-16 oz for sparring.

Please note: There is a very distinct difference between 14-16 bag gloves, than 14-16 sparring gloves. There is also a big difference in mexican/thai/standard boxing gloves at these weights. A mexican or Thai glove will have less padding on the knuckles and distribute the weight more evenly. Good thing, if your blocking kicks, not so good for the guy your hitting. If you choose this style 16 or heavier would be wise. A standard boxing glove, more padding on knuckles is Ok in a 14, depending on your size. 16 is still your safest bet!

Back