Sparring / defence / getting hit / advice

millasur

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok dat's just to much, I can't be bothered to re read it. Succinct version coming soon... Thankyouplease. :icon_chee

:wow look athow fuckin short the thread is now lolol.

shit man i didnt realise it was thattttttt bloody long. oh well... could b rustiness also.

DAMN DBL POSTING. If you are logged in, but then reply and have already been logged out, when you press to post it posts it even if you're loggedout? Dunno.. sorry :\ :icon_neut:icon_twis

fucks sake it's there 3 times!? I didn't even press submit more than twice lol. please delete mods.

I read the long version...

Number one thing, its been said so often its become a clich

Right now there are a bunch of guys at your gym looking forward to sparring you because they know you are going to be their bitch. This is really, really bad.

LOL! I instruct the 6 month beginners course at my gym, which is soon finished, and the guys in the advanced classes are all pestering me for fresh meat this summer :p

No worries tho, it's a phase, if you dont let it get to you.

You do NOT need to focus on defense right now. You need to be more aggressive. To be a fighter you either need to be very competitive or be mean, both is even better. Fighting is beating people up, with rules, and safety measures, and courtesy to your training partners. BUT, at the end of the day, fighting is beating people up. You gotta wanna beat some muthafuggas up.

So, if your technique is on par with your training partners you need to increase your workrate drastically. If your conditioning doesn't allow that you need to improve your conditioning; burpees, windsprints and heavy bag rounds till you puke. And you need to counter every good shot you take, EVERY fucking time. Identify what attacks you are getting hit with and program your brain to throw a counter every time it happens. Whoever hits you needs to pay the price.

You have got to develop something that intimidates your opponents; speed, power, workrate, ring presence, etc. You need every bitch in your gym wanting to duck you, which is the opposite of what is happening now. Seriously, if you've got nothing else, you need to start spazzing out at least a little, just to keep them guessing.

Shadow boxing cover drills is one of the few self drills you can do that will help for defense. If you have a double end bag you can punch it and then dodge or deflect it. Work on your teep and your jab, throw them a lot and always follow with another technique.

Thanks very much for the reply. Believe me I'm taking into accoutn Everything you said, can see it really helping. I think it's a case of me trying to relax, and slip / bob etc, and generally having better defense, but because no one is worried about getting hit, they can jus crowd me out and because I don't reply I just take a beating, at most i throw a couple of retreating jabs out. And obv, my defense is not very good right now lololol. I think i'm trying to be TOO Relaxed - what you said about being competitive, I am ridiculously competitive - But I've managed to keep it under wraps for sparring, but so much so that I think I've literally dulled down lol. :( (related to just taking it beacuse you know its sparring.)

Will work on the thing about counter punching and my conditioning immediately, guna start using the heavy bag for tabata style training. You know I said about taking the final kick or punch of a combo, I always spar a very experienced guy who ends his combos with a rib /high kick. As i said I see these coming and just ignore them, beacuse I don't wana block with my hands (I used to push the kick away with my forearms when I first started and just ate punches), but i don't really know what I'm thinking - maybe that I can't get my leg up in time lol. (getting pretty good at blockign low, but lets face it the movement required for that is nothing more than a shift of a few inches.)

>boxing cover drills is one of the few self drills you can do that will help for defense.

Had a quick search but had conflicting ideas, please explain this to me... The only cover drill idea I found was someone saying stand against a wall or whatever and just take flurries of punches and learn to block them, slip them, etc, then when you can take them well throw in the counters... but obv partner rquired for this.

Any tips on my comment about being stuck 'outside' range? Or is it jus a case of attitude - step in behind the jab, take a punch, and answer.

On reflection, post was so me thinking about it too much - I know im not very good, but i know im not real bad either lol, but then coming bk from 5 months out there's bound to b some rustyness. As u can see I don't like underperforming... Thanks again. Refocused now and ready to go lol.

Also, LOL to the guy who sed nice book millasur or watever it was lol.

>boxing cover drills is one of the few self drills you can do that will help for defense.

Had a quick search but had conflicting ideas, please explain this to me... The only cover drill idea I found was someone saying stand against a wall or whatever and just take flurries of punches and learn to block them, slip them, etc, then when you can take them well throw in the counters... but obv partner rquired for this.

Any tips on my comment about being stuck 'outside' range? Or is it jus a case of attitude - step in behind the jab, take a punch, and answer.

I am talking about you, in front of a mirror, doing this type of drill but with high and mid level blocks included.

YouTube - Boxing Lesson - Basic Defense - www.boxing4free.com

For the range issue, read KK's Closing the Gap Instructional.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f11/closing-gap-101-updated-forgot-exercise-310067/

Back