Sparred for the first time tonight

doctordan

White Belt
Reaction score
I sparred at my gym for the first time tonight and.....damn was i sloppy. I could barely touch my guy, i think I might have landed ten punches the entire 3 minutes (most of them being jabs). I could not get inside at all, and found myself dropping my hands to block punches instead of keeping them high and parrying. Anybody have similar problems with this for their first time? Overall it was fun as shit and cant wait to do it again tomorrow :icon_twis

i think I might have landed ten punches the entire 3 minutes (most of them being jabs).
For your first time sparring that isn't too bad.
You could have landing no punches of any kind lol.

Overall it was fun as shit and cant wait to do it again tomorrow
Yes. I gets very addictive.

dont worry bout it man, anyone that says they didnt do that when they started is a liar haha. learning mt with good technique is hard enough on pads it takes a while to be able to do remember those same things when someone standing in front of u trying to punch u. the best thing to do to get better is before the round think of a couple of combinations u want to try in stead of getting in there and having ur mind go blank. dont just throw those combos mix them in with jabs etc and just work on combos one at a time. a good trick if the guy ur sparring is pretty new aswell, switch ur feet as if ur going to throw a switch kick and make sure he sees it and expects the kick but throw your jab from a switch stance instead beginners never see it coming (unless youve been training it). good luck man

I could barely touch my guy, i think I might have landed ten punches the entire 3 minutes (most of them being jabs).

i think it took me about 4 or 5 sparring sesisons before i even landed 1 clean punch on someone so i would say your doing ok.

yeah man, landing any punches your first spar is great ! don't feel too bad about all the mistakes; things are much different when you move from drilling to sparring. the trick is just making your actions the same in both situations.

Been sparring MT about 10 months now and I only landed my first clean headkick about a month ago.

But now that I know it's not a waste of time throwing them, they're coming much easier, and I'm landing more.

I did okay sparring at first, but that was only because the advanced people were going easy on me. After a month or two, they started going much harder and I realized I had much to work on. After I took a few head kicks that rocked me, I even thought of quitting, but then I realized that that is when you're facing the true test of your commitment and mental toughness. Beyond the basic techniques, a lot of combat sports is psychological and sparring regularly is important for developing mental toughness.

I still have a lot to learn, but now I go in with the attitude that aggression and offense is often safer than defense and evasion (still need to work on my blocking, movement, and footwork though). I still get my ass kicked occasionally, but now I can usually hold my own.

I actually recorded my first sparring match ever. I should post it.

Back