Spaghettii Good or Bad?

ObsceneJester

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was wondering if eat spaghetti with light meat sauce was bad (for losing weight)

I would imagine it depends on how much you eat, when you eat it, and how often you work out.

Carbs arnt bad as long as you are burning them. Thats why marathon runners and tri-athletes "carb-load" before doing what they do.

Spaghetti has one of the highest GI loads of any food and with the meat providing fat/protein on top of it, I would have to say no, it's not something you want to eat (except PWO) when cutting.

However, Bizz is right about portions. If you eat a small serving: calories are calories.

I try to stay away from refined carbs. I stick to the complex type which is whole grain stuff.

umm you can buy whole grain pasta ... but it does not taste that nice .. bit i had it plain with cheese ... and it sucked , but i guess it might get better after a few goes and like an actual recipe with it !

Herculean said:
umm you can buy whole grain pasta ... but it does not taste that nice .. bit i had it plain with cheese ... and it sucked , but i guess it might get better after a few goes and like an actual recipe with it !

Whole wheat pasta is the only whole wheat anything I can't stand to eat.

I'll take the spinach pasta, thanks.

Does whole wheat pasta have a high GI as well as white pasta?

Madmick said:

I haven't tried spinach pasta yet. I just finished my first bowl of whole wheat pasta. It wasn't bad, but it was definintely DIFFERENT. I normally eat my spaghetti with a chicken breast and 1/4 cup of cottage cheese. So, the weird taste was kind of drowned out a bit.

Madmick said:

yeah i just bought some of that yesterday , might have some later today

still got 500g of wheat pasta ... ughhhh , it does not even taste like pasta , it tastes like you are eating raw oats .. or like you are eating fibre
lol

GI stuff is all a gimic. Its only used for diabetics, otherwise for other normal people don't use that chart. Pasta is fine, Portion control of course if you want to loose weight. Best to eat it after a workout. Try to buy Organic.

I believe the calorieking.com has the requisite GI info (and a whole lot more) for thousands of foods.

This info is in a sticky I think.

If you have to eat pasta, go with Healthy Choice brand, its by far the best of the lot. Btw, pasta, unless eaten by itself, is nothing but a transport for whatever sauce you put on it, so as long as you have a quality sauce you shouldnt really be able to tell the difference. Go with some garlic and extra virgin olive oil and turkey sausage and your in like flynn.

Back