SpaceX just caught 70 metre tall Starship with their Mechazilla chopstick tower on first try

As someone who is not a total nerd can someone explain this to me? I mean it looks super impressive and cool but what’s the point. How would ever catching a 20 story rocket ever be useful other just to say you did it. I’m not talking shit either I really just don’t get the point

But why though.gif

As someone who is not a total nerd can someone explain this to me? I mean it looks super impressive and cool but what’s the point. How would ever catching a 20 story rocket ever be useful other just to say you did it. I’m not talking shit either I really just don’t get the point

But why though.gif

Now they can jack off giant robots, duh!

But why though.gif
Because the other scenario is allowing it to crash and rebuild from scratch, like what we’ve been doing for decades

Because the other scenario is allowing it to crash and rebuild from scratch, like what we’ve been doing for decades
Well they probably should do that. If it crashed and burned then on was obviously a piece of shit in the first place and there needs to be adjustments made

Well they probably should do that. If it crashed and burned then on was obviously a piece of shit in the first place and there needs to be adjustments made
What you’re describing is NASA’s general practice after a rocket has been used.

NASA Rocket Ocean Splashdown​

NASA’s rocket stages, including those from the Space Shuttle program, typically splash down in the ocean after use. This is a common practice for several reasons:
  1. Safety: By landing in the ocean, the risk of damage to people and property on land is minimized.
  2. Cost-effective: Recovering and refurbishing rocket stages for reuse is expensive. Allowing them to sink in the ocean reduces the need for costly recovery operations.
  3. Environmental concerns: The ocean provides a natural environment for the stages to decompose, reducing the risk of pollution and contamination on land.

But why though.gif
Its mainly to maximize the possible payload capacity. Their previous rocket Falcon 9 has lander legs but they can lift alot more weight if they cut them out entirely.

Last edited:
What are the practical applications? Can they land a drone on my window sill and bring me coffee?

But why though.gif

Someone online said to make these rockets reusable driving down cost for launches or something like that

Im no space expert though

Extremely Impressive engineer work though still

But why though.gif

We can just keep going back to the moon or other planets back and forth, carrying precious metals and minerals. This is fucking HUGE. A monumental occasion on the same level as the moon landing. We can build a monstrous space station with this advancement.

But why though.gif
Do you even NASA, bro!

Back