Soy Protein and Whey Protein

Mr.Hayes

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, long time reader, first time posting. Yeehaw here we go.

Well my amature MMA debut is in about a month, give or take a few days. I'm going to be fighting in the Middleweight devision (185 lbs) and i walk around (about mid-day) at about 191-193 lbs. So obviously i've got a few more pounds to shed, which i could do with water weight, or i could just shed them off naturally.

My question is, which is better for cutting weight? Soy proteins (soy milk, etc) or Whey Protein (typical protein shakes)? I've been told by a few guys where i train to convert to soy, no more normal dairy or whey protein. Is there that much of a difference in weight loss?

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

No difference for weight loss really.

really?

My training partners' big argument was that Whey is specifically for maintaining weight and mass, while Soy can help one lose weight. Kind of a weak argument with no scientific details i know, but i figured he knew more than I did haha.

You won't find much of a difference.

As the others have mentioned there's no real difference regarding weight loss. The advantage with Whey of course is the speed of digestion but that's a different topic. Also, if you are using creatine then I'd advise you begin to stop taking that soon.

I ate exclusively soy protein for about 6 months. Although I did drop weight, some of it was muscle. I didn't maintain my strength very well. I wouldn't do it again.

It really depends on your own body chemistry. A lot of people, including myself, don't digest soy or soy derivatives very well. For me Whey works much better. There is also Rice protein, which works well.

great, thanks guys. Looks like i'll just stick to my whey protein I already have. Stuff gets expensive!

soy=estrogen...amirite?

not exactly, it contains phyto-estrogens. Soy mimics estrogen and in moderate to heavy doses can disrupt a body's healthy hormonal balance, esp for women.

From http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/index.html:

• High levels of phytic acid in soy reduce assimilation of calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and zinc. Phytic acid in soy is not neutralized by ordinary preparation methods such as soaking, sprouting and long, slow cooking. High phytate diets have caused growth problems in children.
  • Trypsin inhibitors in soy interfere with protein digestion and may cause pancreatic disorders. In test animals soy containing trypsin inhibitors caused stunted growth.
  • Soy phytoestrogens disrupt endocrine function and have the potential to cause infertility and to promote breast cancer in adult women.
  • Soy phytoestrogens are potent antithyroid agents that cause hypothyroidism and may cause thyroid cancer. In infants, consumption of soy formula has been linked to autoimmune thyroid disease.
  • Vitamin B12 analogs in soy are not absorbed and actually increase the body's requirement for B12.
  • Soy foods increase the body's requirement for vitamin D.
  • Fragile proteins are denatured during high temperature processing to make soy protein isolate and textured vegetable protein.
  • Processing of soy protein results in the formation of toxic lysinoalanine and highly carcinogenic nitrosamines.
  • Free glutamic acid or MSG, a potent neurotoxin, is formed during soy food processing and additional amounts are added to many soy foods.

Soy foods contain high levels of aluminum which is toxic to the nervous system and the kidneys.

The general consensus around here is feel free to eat soy, especially if it's fermented, but avoid supplementing with it.

Someone better run and tell this to the Chinese. They definitely are experience infertility issues it seems.

thats one of the marketing tools the soy industry used in the 80's and early 90's to persuade the US public. Soy in China or Japan is not a staple of the diet. In China it's used primarily by ythe poor as a last resort and Japan uses only small amounts as in Miso soup.

Someone better run and tell this to the Chinese. They definitely are experience infertility issues it seems.

Geez, that analogy works, they all jumped, so I did too:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Well Soy would decrease your muscle mass and you'd lose weight that way...

probably not what you want though I'd say stick to Whey, only reason anyone should use Soy is if for some reason they're deathly allergic to Milk Proteins

How would soy itself decrease muscle mass? Actually so has the best amino profile or one of the best I should day.

I don't use soy, but your logic is flawed.

thats one of the marketing tools the soy industry used in the 80's and early 90's to persuade the US public. Soy in China or Japan is not a staple of the diet. In China it's used primarily by ythe poor as a last resort and Japan uses only small amounts as in Miso soup.
I never said it was a staple or to use it as a staple. My comment was a sarcastic remark because of the amount of babies that a produced by the Chinese and they consume soy.

Well Soy would decrease your muscle mass and you'd lose weight that way...

probably not what you want though I'd say stick to Whey, only reason anyone should use Soy is if for some reason they're deathly allergic to Milk Proteins
How so? It's protein with a great amino acid profile.

Back