Southpaw vs. Southpaw

gocubs1815

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Anderson Silva is now going to have to fight Damien Maia at UFC 112. He was to face Vitor Belfort but he had to pull out due to injury.
All 3 of those fighter fight out of the southpaw stance.

I had thought that is less than 10% of the world was left handed.

Is there anything diffrent for a Lefty when they fight another lefty, as opposed to two right handed fighters goin at it?

Yeah. Most Southpaws have no right hand. So when two of them Fight, the one with the better right hand usually wins. This is granted it stays standing. Right hand, right leg, very important.

Anderson Silva is now going to have to fight Damien Maia at UFC 112. He was to face Vitor Belfort but he had to pull out due to injury.
All 3 of those fighter fight out of the southpaw stance.

I had thought that is less than 10% of the world was left handed.

Is there anything different for a Lefty when they fight another lefty, as opposed to two right handed fighters goin at it?

The advantage to being a south paw is that most fighters use the orthodox stance. Their punches will be coming from weird angles while the southpaw fighter (who spars with orthodox fighters) knows whats coming. If the southpaw hasn't sparred with another southpaw then his opponents punches will come from weird angles also.

Lefty, schmefty, Mr. Anderson will school him standing, he better get it to the ground, or he is toast.

See the Luiz Cane/Lil Nog fight. Southpaws are used to fighting orthodox fighters, not other southpaws, generally speaking.

I am a southpaw and I have never fought a southpaw in the ring and i had 6 fights...

When it comes to sparring someone that is a southpaw i sometimes get little bit confused cuz most of the time i spar with ppl who are orthodox so i just got used to it i guess.

And what do you mean by most southpaws have no "right" hand? Do you mean it as in like power wise...? I am a southpaw and i know for sure my right hand hook and my jab and uppercut have alot of power behind it... when i think about it i think my right hand hook and uppercut are more powerful then the left ones...jab is just jab as we all know lol

Anderson seems like a converted southpaw anyways; we can smell our own.

And what do you mean by most southpaws have no "right" hand? Do you mean it as in like power wise...? I am a southpaw and i know for sure my right hand hook and my jab and uppercut have alot of power behind it... when i think about it i think my right hand hook and uppercut are more powerful then the left ones...jab is just jab as we all know lol

Then you'd be the guy who wins. You'll see what I mean the more Southpaws you come across. Most of them, right's no good, and they just wait to throw the big left.

Good general info on facing southpaws.......In this case, Anderson vs Maia it just dosent matter. If the fight were kept standing, I have no doubt that Anderson could win with only one hand.

now we can see more of Anderson Silva's rear lowkick. :D

nah.. he's a real lefty

O rly?

20100116054852_20090329010256_anderson_Bope.JPG

I would like to see two southpaws that both have good right hands fight.

Then you'd be the guy who wins. You'll see what I mean the more Southpaws you come across. Most of them, right's no good, and they just wait to throw the big left.

Is that a Rocky II quote?

Dey oughtta outlaw Sout'paws!

no, that's not the case in mma
and not with a lot of of thaiboxers as well

most mma fighters who come from grappling background, notably wrestling and judo
are right handed, and stand southpaw because of their strong side fwd
in fact, i'd say say most mma southpaws have weak left punches

and in the case of thaiboxing, many thais are righthanded
and having a strong righthanded base means you have a powerful left kick
which is priority over punching so many are trained to stand lefty

i guess i was wrong then. :D he has a very nice left roundkick for a lefty

I am a lefty but fight typical because im confident with my left jab enough that if it doesn't stun it enough to allow me to follow with the jab I just switch it to southpaw and keep em off base.

Back