Social South Carolina Supreme Court Suspends Attorney For George Floyd Comments.

Lord Coke

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
How is this constitutional? Even if the lawyer violated their oath of civility then the oath is unconstitutional. This is pretty egregious. What if a lawyer got disciplined for saying Trump is a sh!t stain? How would you feel? This decision has a real chilling effect on people's freedom of speech in SC. You hear about your buddy getting in trouble you don't want to be next so you shut your mouth.

https://www.fitsnews.com/2020/06/14...-attorney-who-called-george-floyd-a-shtstain/
The South Carolina supreme court unanimously suspended the law license of attorney David Traywick of Mount Pleasant, S.C. on Friday after he took to social media earlier this month and claimed that George Floyd – the black man suffocated to death by a white police officer in Minneapolis, Minnesota on Memorial Day – was a “sh*tstain.”

Here is a look at what Traywick posted (graphic language warning) …

(Click to view)

(Via: Provided)

Traywick’s post earned him immediate (and rightful) condemnation from the legal profession’s outlet of record.

“He’s taken this moment in history to use social media to engage in a shameful degradation of George Floyd’s character, and participate in the disgusting tradition of valuing money over the lives of black people,” noted Kathryn Rubino for Above The Law.

A source who forwarded us the screenshot of Traywick’s post accused him of “spewing more hate than any member of the bar should be able to.”

“I get freedom of speech but they also have a code to uphold,” the source added.

In suspending Traywick based on the recommendation of its office of disciplinary counsel, the justices invoked rule 17 (b) of the Palmetto State’s rules for lawyer disciplinary conduct. This rule generically addresses “other misconduct,” and holds that an attorney’s license to practice law can be suspended if there is “sufficient evidence” to demonstrate the lawyer poses “a substantial threat of serious harm to the public or to the administration of justice.”

Did Traywick’s post rise to that level? Obviously what he wrote was overtly racist, callous, insensitive and wildly inappropriate (and clearly failed to adhere to the higher standard attorneys are supposed to hold themselves to in South Carolina).

“We take an oath of civility,” one attorney noted.

But did his post actually violate the rule cited by the court?

There was some speculation Traywick might avoid censure because South Carolina is one of only two states which has yet to adopt the American Bar Association (ABA)’s rule 8.4 (g) – which aims to curb discrimination in the legal profession.

This rule stipulates that the definition of professional misconduct is to include “conduct that the lawyer knows or reasonably should know is harassment or discrimination on the basis of race, sex, religion, national origin, ethnicity, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or socioeconomic status in conduct related to the practice of law.”

Of course, the final eight words of that rule – “in conduct related to the practice of law” – raise additional questions.

Obviously, we condemn what Traywick posted. It was deplorable in every sense of the word. Similarly, we condemn the hate underlying his words. But as morally wrong as it is to hate other people on the basis of their skin color – and as offensive as hate speech in our society has become – we cannot toss out constitutional liberty in the name of rectifying all such bad behavior.

In some cases, we must rely on the marketplace to do that.

“It’s undeniably wrong to discriminate against people on the basis of their skin color when taxpayer resources are involved – and in our view it’s just plain stupid to discriminate on that basis in business,” we noted in a post three years ago.

But does the right to free speech not still exist?

We are not necessarily opposing the supreme court’s decision. If Traywick took an oath of civility at any time prior to joining the South Carolina Bar he clearly violated it with his post. Also, we believe South Carolina should seriously consider upgrading its attorney discipline code to more specifically address discriminatory behavior within the legal system.

Last edited:
He didn't break the rule they cited and he has a right to his opinion especially when it's supported by an aggravated assault conviction, multiple drug offenses and other encounters with the law. Him saying Floyd was a shit stain is a very reasonable position to take, and by him saying that, that in no way suggests that Floyd wasn't murdered or deserved to die at the hands of Chauvin.

I think this sets a horrible precedent as to what lawyers can and can't say. Would a prosecutor be suspended for saying harsh things about a defendant on social media or to reporters?

well.............. its not a good idea to talk bad about a dead man................ let him just RIP

Well, he was, wasn't he?

That doesn't mean he wasn't murdered.

It also doesn't mean this is the smart time to voice that opinion.

Nor does this idea of firing someone for wrongthink sit well with me.

A good buddies daughter is taking criminology and wants to be a cop. Being a naive 20 year old she posted LEO positive sentiments on social media and faced a shit storm by the intolerant left. Having the "wrong" opinion, even if it's correct seems dangerous nowadays. Crazy times.

Last edited:
He shouldn't have said it, but he has the right to say it. Or atleast he should have the right to say it.

With Leftism taking over everything, the Bill of Rights goes out the window.

What kind of twilight zone shit is this?
George was a degenerate piece of shit who created himself the situation that lead to his death, but the cop was still a power tripping asshole who is now rightfully on trial for murder.

How does recognizing this get someone suspended from their job?

This is what happens when you accept political correctness.

The moment whites were scared to say the N-word, it was only a matter of time before it snowballed into this.

The goal posts always move, once you allow other people to control your speech. Even on this forum you cant say the N-word, which breaches the first amendment.

What kind of twilight zone shit is this?
George was a degenerate piece of shit who created himself the situation that lead to his death, but the cop was still a power tripping asshole who is now rightfully on trial for murder.

How does recognizing this get someone suspended from their job?
The logical conclusion of political correctness.

"'I get freedom of speech but they also have a code to uphold,' the source added."

these are lawyers?

"'I get freedom of speech but they also have a code to uphold,' the source added."

these are lawyers?

Last time I checked the state bar does not get to trump the Constitution.

Something tells me that if a board of lawyers takes away your seat, they have legal justification to do so.
We need to preserve alt right outrage...rights.

This is South Carolina lol. It's not like the City Council of San Francisco did this.

This is what happens when you accept political correctness.

The moment whites were scared to say the N-word, it was only a matter of time before it snowballed into this.

The goal posts always move, once you allow other people to control your speech. Even on this forum you cant say the N-word, which breaches the first amendment.
Your right to post here isn't under the jurisdiction of the 1st Amendment.

Something tells me that if a board of lawyers takes away your seat, they have legal justification to do so.

Well you would be wrong. State Bar Disciplinary departments are often filled with government functionaries would never make in private practice. I know this from experience as I used to do work for one.

Well you would be wrong. State Bar Disciplinary departments are often filled with government functionaries would never make in private practice. I know this from experience as I used to do work for one.

Okay, so I'm wrong and this is completely illegal.

Where does it go from here?

Okay, so I'm wrong and this is completely illegal.

Where does it go from here?

What I would personally do is sue in federal court to have the discipline removed and to have the ethics code enjoined as a prior restraint on free speech. I have no idea what this guy is going to do but I hope he does something along that lines

Back