Soundgarden/Black Hole Sun nuts get in here…

[insert_name_here]

Better than the best, Ooh Yeah!
@Brown
Reaction score
Stumbled on this…

Tough to hear Chris’ vocal tracks and Beinhorn talk about the bands creative process and genius…

This is one of my all-time favorite records… I am not an audiophile, but really enjoyed this episode…

Five mics were destroyed in the making of this record.” –Michael Beinhorn

Last edited:
Yeah.. that song does sound great on my Monitor Audio’s. I’m not a big time audio file but purchasing higher end stereo equipment from a buddy of mine who runs his own home theatre company has really changed how a listen to a lot of stuff. It’s incredible when you stumble on something you’ve heard a thousand times before and then ‘bam’ it’s now different because the quality of the receiver, speakers and so on.

This goes both ways tho, it also accentuates poorly produced music too..

along with the crystal ship by the doors, black hole sun is fav song, and its out on its own as my fav intro

They pick up conversations about Cornell and Soundgarden @47:30 mark.

Wow! I forgot how much of a talent Cornell really was… I think Beinhorn hit the nail on the head when he said…

“Chris, his talent was so vast… I think he just needed oversight. He always needed oversight.”

I've always felt Black Hole Sun was overrated. No offense to anybody who loves it, I realize I'm in the minority.

I was living in Seattle in the early 90's and I remember when Chris Cornell cut his hair.

Women all over Seattle were crying...True story.

Superunknown is a masterpiece.

I was a preteen when I discovered this record. Singles from the album were all over KROQ here in Los Angeles.

I wanted to be Chris Cornell when I grew older, that’s what I decided for myself… genetics and reality dealt me a harsh blow when I would later realize, that I could never be a 6’3” white guy from Seattle, Washington.

It’s crazy to hear Beinhorn talk ‘bout how self-conscious Chris was w/ Soundgarden’s sound. He’s right. Superunknown is a very different record from their previous efforts. I know Thayil hates the comparisons, but early Soundgarden was a Zeppelin imitation.

Could have been worse… remember when Dream Theater butchered this song?

Well, it’s the thought that counts, I guess…

Some amazing details in that video. I still remember when that album came out, blew my mind (still does). Imo, their best work. Black Hole Sun is a bit overrated, to me, but its still an amazing tune. Love the solo section in 9, so Soundgarden. RIP-CC.

Last edited:
Fun fact: black hole sun (son) was my brothers nickname when he was strung out on drugs and was just basically a black hole for money or anything valuable that he could get his hands on. But he’s clean now so it’s funny to laugh about.

An amazing band with memorable hooks and real chops, which they used to serve the song rather than show off.

Black Hole Sun was the reason I stopped listening to boy bands and rap.

This is my personal favorite Soundgarden album

Louder Than Love has always been my favorite Soundgarden album with Hands All Over, Gun and Full On (reprise) being my favorite tracks.

...when I would later realize, that I could never be a 6’3” white guy from Seattle, Washington.

You know there are many great musicians and singers who aren't 6'3 white guys from Seattle, right?

Stupid excuse to not chase your dreams homie.

While we're on the subject of one of my favorite bands ever, check out this trippy ass drum line. And just a great overall song.

While we're on the subject of one of my favorite bands ever, check out this trippy ass drum line. And just a great overall song.

Yeah, this is one of Ben’s songs… solid addition to the record.

I got into the group as a kid after Yamamoto left and Chris cut his hair, so Ben is the guy I always associate w/ the band… not to mention, when I seen these guys for the first time, I thought, those f*cken dudes are tall… it didn’t help that Ben played Bass on his f*cken kneecaps…

a1d7pmorb-l-_sl600_-jpg.1539383

I heard in an old video that he could vibrate the glass doors of the record studio with his voice while recording Superunknown

Back