Something terrible has happened.

this was back in the day... brown belts dont hand out belts now.

yes they can. just not brown belts. I think last time I checked they could promote to purple... which is actually relatively new. they never used to be able to promote that high.

yes they can. just not brown belts. I think last time I checked they could promote to purple... which is actually relatively new. they never used to be able to promote that high.

was talking about at my school/affiliation. we have only one blackbelt locally, and he does all the promotion. but back in the mid 90's i THINK the way t worked was that our head instructor who was a purple belt then, would inform the head of the affiliation who was ready, and then when he came in from brazil he would promote everybody all at once... so technically they were being promoted by a black belt

Sounds like black would be incredibly petty not to let you train with the guy that gave him his blue and purple belt.

You'd think a relationship like that would warrant more mutual understanding.

Yep, gotta go with the brown belt here. Just out of curiosity, who's the better grappler between the two if they were to compete against one another?

Yep, gotta go with the brown belt here. Just out of curiosity, who's the better grappler between the two if they were to compete against one another?

the black belt would murder him. the brown belt is old (probably 45-50) and small (probably 160). The black belt is a super heavy (probably 250) and a world class competitor (got 2nd a couple of years back at euros and won a couple other big tourneys). The black belt is also a black belt in judo.

To be honest i think i would beat teh brown belt in bjj comp. i definately wouldnt be able to submit him, but i coudl take him down and probably pass a couple of times. i might get triangled or omo'd though.

That's interesting, sounds like a tougher situation than I originally thought then, but really, if you would only be able to train once a week with the black belt, there's no point.

i hadnt even thought of teh cost IF i was to train at 2 schools. these bjj guys and their HS girl politics...

In my case it was a BJJ guy training people at one Judo club who moved to train people at another Judo club, taking his students with him. I'm friendly with all sides, and I understand and agree/empathize with the reasons everyone did what they did. The situation just sucks for me.

Back