Something I don't understand about some UFC fighters ..

onvoqc

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this sounds really stupid but it buggs me just thinking about it.

I don't think anyone will disagree with me If i say the vast majority of UFC fighters train 6 days a week , for many hours a day , pushing their bodies day after day , week after week..
With their work ethic , i don't understand how some of them can't attain very low body fat percentage , and good looking bodies.

Take for example Fedor :
thumbnail_crop_php_display_image.jpg

I'm convinced he trained like an animal , why the hell doesn't he has a great looking lean body , with low fat percentage ? Would not that improve his performance ?
I mean i can understand "bad genetics" argument but with their superhman work ethic , it should negate that.
He is carrying ALOT of body fat just by the look of it.

Josh barnett .. mike russow etc... okay these are heavyweight but there's tons of horrible looking bodies in the lighter weight divs.

Another example in the LHW division :
Fabio-Maldonado_60507_left30.png

Alexander gustaffson's body is also looking terrible , lately Thiago silva , joey beltran , shogun etc.
Welterweight :
mike-pierce-12.jpg

Why ? bad food habbits ? choice ?
I know look doesn't matter but it bugs me that some of these guys , as hard as they train , still have horrible looking bodies and carry body fat into a fight .

Thanks for enlightening me.

They just eat too many calories. Some HWs might do it on purpose because weight helps you in grappling and adds power to your strikes, there is of course the down side on cardio and speed.

Heavyweights don't have to watch what they eat as much ad someone in a lighter division. what you eat has a huge party of being lean and looking ripped. You could work your ass off everyday but if you're just eating garbage you're not going to get very ripped.

They aren't male supermodels. They're real people.

No matter how hard you work out, some people aren't going to get a six pack. Diets that cut fat also typically cut away some functional weight as well. Why bother if it's just to chase an aesthetic? Particularly if you're a high performance athlete and your game could suffer from it.

All the guys you posted look like houses walking around. They're thickset guys. It's in their genes. And some of your examples make no sense - Gus? Shogun? They aren't bodybuilders. Their training priorities are all performance based and their dieting revolves completely around giving them enough energy to get up and do it all again tomorrow without gaining beyond their fighting weight + 15-20lbs.

They aren't male supermodels. They're real people.

They're real people who train 7 hours a day and probably alot more than we know about food and the right nutriments.
Why doesn't it show ?

training method,genetics and diet. true they may not looked as ripped and bulky as the bodybuilder but they're ALOT stronger in certain areas pertaining to hand to hand combat and WAY more conditioned. c'mon do "you even lift"? if u did u'd know these things already.

Last edited:
Its because most of them really work on cardio and dont really strength train that much

Lombard is shredded as they come , didn't help him .
Reem is shredded as they come , didn't help him .
The Physique is not everything .

More "fatty" builds can help with the grappling. If you are chisled and burly its easier to grab a hold of your body and you are less resilient to certain submission-holds.

Take for example Sean McCorkle vs Mariusz Pudzianowski 1. Mariusz arm is burly and muscular as fuck. When Sean slapped on the kimura very little crank was needed to make Mariusz submit. It's beacuse of all those muscles, they are not very flexible.

Its because most of them really work on cardio and dont really strength train that much

Well to be honest, being shreded is not natural either. The great bodies that you see in TV, are bodies that has being through a diet and training regimen just to look like that. Go and watch off season bodybuilders.
I guess the answer is that hollywood bodies are not natural you have to work specifically to get that look.

A lot of it is genetics. It doesn't matter how hard you train or what you eat - you're not getting built like Phil Davis or Brock Lesnar.

This thread is gonna be good, already some of the most shertarded things I've ever read...

Do you really think they train 6 hours a day??They can't even last 3 minutes without looking like they're going to have a heart attack lol

I think I remember Fedor saying that he basically ate whatever he wanted and thought it was more important to be happy. He didn't have bad genetics though. Everyone always joked about how flabby he was but go look back on his Pride fights. He wasn't ripped but his build was solid. Only later did he really get fat. He had a crazy combination of speed and strength in his prime.

I am a trainer, and this is surprising to me too. I would have to say that their diet is terrible, and they're work ethic questionable... Genetics do play a role, but when it comes down to it if you're training 6 days a week plenty of hours a day you should be lean (Not bulked, that depends mostly on the training, genetics, and diet) no matter what your genes are like.

They're simply taking in more calories than they are using. Keep in mind Micheal Phelps takes in 12000 calories of junk a day, and still is lean.

About 75-80% of how you look (and health in general) is based on diet, not working out.

Do you really think they train 6 hours a day??They can't even last 3 minutes without looking like they're going to have a heart attack lol

Well I went to UFC.com and every fighter has a little bio there .. they all claim to train at least 5 hours a day... working on different aspects .

Anyone else feel free to share your opinion .

Because a lot of these guys train like animals but eat foods that are high calorie and high fat plus drinking alcohol all do not make for a body builders physique. Also strength and conditioning training for MMA is very different from the excersices you would be doing for body building. Finally genes has a lot to do with it the sports so young we still aren't seeing A.peterson or LBJ class athletes in the sport who are just freaks and are naturally shredded like that

Because they aren't actually training for that long. They may be at the gym that long but they are teaching, being a sparring/grappling dummy, etc. They are probably actually training maybe 3 hours a day.

Back