• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Something bad abrewin?? banker suicides

I have a lot of banker friends. Those fuckers work hard, but they keep their perspective. Those 100 hour work weeks should lead to a job in PE, HF, or VC working 60-80 hours which gives you more sanity. I don't understand why these guys that kill themselves feel like they are trapped enough in life to do so. Also why the hell would anyone aim for a senior position in the bulge bracket if you have so many exit opportunities to work in the aforementioned avenues making just as much, if not much more, money then you would in IB?

It is not hard work as in hard labor. They are mostly not exerting themselves. I-bankers just sit in offices, type stuff, talk to people via phone, email, video conferencing, or have boring meetings. Or they are doing paperwork not too dissimilar to what they did for college assignments.

I can see why they commit suicide. That kind of boredom will drive anyone nuts, and I cannot imagine them getting any real feeling of accomplishment. I mean yeh, they make lots of money, but it is almost like they did not really earn it like a true man should. It is almost like the only reason they are where they are is because someone else got them there like there families.

Oh oops, all that is true. They did not earn that money, and yes, it is because mommy and daddy got you where you are bi-atch. Well I am glad more and more a doing themselves in. If enough of those people off themselves, that money has to trickle down right?

LOLZ just joshing ya. I have tree cousins and an inlaw that I-bank for a living. Whenever I am around them and someone ask them what they do, I blurt out Ponzi Scheme, hahahahaha

US suicide rate is 12 people for 100k per year.

It's 1.5 times higher for bankers/finance workers.

JP Morgan has 270k workers. We expect 48ish to kill themselves every year, based on those rough stats. One a week is expected. Maybe they cluster around performance reviews or something.

Does the maths work for everyone, is there a mistake?

It is not hard work as in hard labor. They are mostly not exerting themselves. I-bankers just sit in offices, type stuff, talk to people via phone, email, video conferencing, or have boring meetings. Or they are doing paperwork not too dissimilar to what they did for college assignments.

I can see why they commit suicide. That kind of boredom will drive anyone nuts, and I cannot imagine them getting any real feeling of accomplishment. I mean yeh, they make lots of money, but it is almost like they did not really earn it like a true man should. It is almost like the only reason they are where they are is because someone else got them there like there families.

Oh oops, all that is true. They did not earn that money, and yes, it is because mommy and daddy got you where you are bi-atch. Well I am glad more and more a doing themselves in. If enough of those people off themselves, that money has to trickle down right?

LOLZ just joshing ya. I have tree cousins and an inlaw that I-bank for a living. Whenever I am around them and someone ask them what they do, I blurt out Ponzi Scheme, hahahahaha

Hey everything you said is true. They tell me that the work comes in spurts and cycles because 100 hours of concentration just isn't sustainable. I can't imagine living in an office like they do, and when bonuses come around they usually have a bitch fit because it's mostly a crapshoot the way they talk about it. The nepotism isn't some secret in that industry: the first thing a bank will ask you is who you spoke to/are friends with/are related to when they are headhunting. But most of them said they would rather be doing IB than big/corporate law; which is even more boring with longer hours and less pay.

Edit: But I ask why they even deal with all of that. I mean once you take the hours that they work compared to their total income, the salary isn't even that great. The main thing is they wanted a guarantee of an upper-middle class or lower upper-class lifestyle. It's Low risk and high reward=I'll give up 2-4 years of my life to guarantee life in the upper crust. Thinking about it, how can someone at 22 make that kind of money otherwise? You have to either start your own business which is high risk and high reward with no guarantee, or be born to wealth and take over daddy's business (lucky sperm club).

Last edited:
I have a lot of banker friends. Those fuckers work hard, but they keep their perspective. Those 100 hour work weeks should lead to a job in PE, HF, or VC working 60-80 hours which gives you more sanity. I don't understand why these guys that kill themselves feel like they are trapped enough in life to do so. Also why the hell would anyone aim for a senior position in the bulge bracket if you have so many exit opportunities to work in the aforementioned avenues making just as much, if not much more, money then you would in IB?

Where else can you make more money than IB? I work on average 60 hours a week in a big bank and make the most I can in my level of career

Also average VP (mid level) IB salary here is around $100-300k (bonus included)

Was about to bring up the infowars source but good to see others took note as well

Infowars does their own cause more harm than good

Listened to Alex Jones on Coast to Coast once. He was pretty level headed and normal, quiet compelling actually.

I'm not sure why he flips the crazy switch for his show. Doesn't do himself any favours.

If suicide was indicative of looming disaster, Japan wouldn't be one of the wealthier countries in Asia.

info wars = makes money from grasping for straws to fit their agenda.

Nail gun guy seems like he was suicided. Eight wounds to torso and head? That's an absurdly painful way of committing suicide. Sounds more like a torture kill method.

I'd like to know the model of the gun. Most have pressure safeties on them. I'm sure you can modify them to bypass the safety but this guy was a banker not a carpenter. His death sounds shady.

I mean, I know people who commit suicide are unstable but selecting such a painful way to off yourself is just odd. He was an educated man. Just swallow a bullet or open your wrists. Shit, if your already in your garage just run the whip and huff the exhaust til you pass out. Nail gun though? IDK...

Nail gun guy seems like he was suicided. Eight wounds to torso and head? That's an absurdly painful way of committing suicide. Sounds more like a torture kill method.

I'd like to know the model of the gun. Most have pressure safeties on them. I'm sure you can modify them to bypass the safety but this guy was a banker not a carpenter. His death sounds shady.

I mean, I know people who commit suicide are unstable but selecting such a painful way to off yourself is just odd. He was an educated man. Just swallow a bullet or open your wrists. Shit, if your already in your garage just run the whip and huff the exhaust til you pass out. Nail gun though? IDK...

Everyone in Colorado is a carpenter

Everyone in Colorado is a carpenter

Well shit, then you'd think he'd know what kind of pain he's in for an opt for a different, less excruciating method.

I mean, 8 nails is brutal. After nail number 4 I can't imagine a person even being capable of firing off another 4 to finish the job. Gotta be pretty determined to imbed 8 nails into yourself. Crazy story.

If suicide was indicative of looming disaster, Japan wouldn't be one of the wealthier countries in Asia.

Japan had been going through two lost decades of the slow collapse of their economy/bubble.

Back