Someone explain Interstellar to me

Thanos

Courting Death
@Black
Reaction score
McConaughey communicates through gravity waves to send himself coordinates to NASA through a book shelf so he can go in a mission that he's already made then sends data to his daughter so she can carry out plan A

Is this a paradox? is he in a black hole in another timeline saving the human race in another time line?

Basically dude leaves his young daughter to go into space. She spends her whole life waiting for him to return. He finally does, spends five minutes with her, then leaves to go try to bang some chick ...

McConaughey communicates through gravity waves to send himself coordinates to NASA through a book shelf so he can go in a mission that he's already made then sends data to his daughter so she can carry out plan A

Is this a paradox? is he in a black hole in another timeline saving the human race in another time line?

don't think too hard about it. it's a dramatic movie, not real science.

Basically dude leaves his young daughter to go into space. She spends her whole life waiting for him to return. He finally does, spends five minutes with her, then leaves to go try to bang some chick ...

Mans gotta do what a mans gotta do, nawmsayin?

Love is the most powerful force in the universe.

I wondered why they didn't calculate the difference in time properly on that wave planet. If they knew the time differential, how did they not realize that by the time they got there, it would have only been minutes since the first ship landed on it. Seems like a brutal oversight by the crew. But, movies gonna movie sometimes, I guess.

You mean one of the many Nolan movies in which the viewer is Called upon to create his/her own ending.

This movie made about as much sense as me reading the inside of a pyramids walls

Humans in the far future have entered the fifth dimension and can manipulate time. It is hard to communicate across dimensions. These future humans see this extinction event in the timeline and need to fix it or else they will never have existed. They cryptically communicate across dimensions to help humanity save itself. Their goal all along was to get a human to enter the black hole which in essence gets them to go into the fourth dimension (time?). This black hole was programmed by the fifth dimensional humans for specific purpose of letting a normal human communicate the solution to their woes across time and save their race. The future humans had to cryptically communicate across dimensions with us to get one of us to enter the black hole, so that that person could cryptically communicate back to earth (across time) how to save the world.

Last edited:
The producers of that movie trusted Christopher Nolan too much because of his track record. No one dared to point out that major plot lines didn't make any sense or were too far-reaching for the regular movie fan. That's your explanation.

It's about a father who loves his daughter more than his son.

In all seriousness, the ending was bizarre and was (admittedly) influenced by 2001 Space Oddsey where they wanted some ambiguity I suppose.

MgwWMFU.jpg

See, I'm just going to assume this diagram explains everything, because no internet nerd would possibly waste all that time on something that ends up being completely wrong? Right?

What a tiresome film. And the turning point (okay, maybe TDKR was the turning point) where Nolan's ambition/compulsive need to make "smart" films superseded making an enjoyable movie.

And now he's going to follow it up with a war film which a bunch of teenage girls will rush to watch because one of the boys from that shitty boy band is playing a supporting character.

Back